We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Magic Band concerns

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
442 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Magic Band concerns

My family and i will be taking a trip to DW in February. We recently got our package in the mail informing us we will be given the Magic Bands. While we are Disney regulars, and are very confident about the Disney experience, I have some reservations about these bands. I have read some reviews on different sites, and in large they seem a bit negative. I found myself very confused just understanding the process through the book. Are issues with fast pass and reservations common? Will we be waiting in long lines trying to get issues fixed?

United States...
Level Contributor
388 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Magic Band concerns

We just returned from Disney (Stayed a week before Thanksgiving). Our family of five had magic bands. I was not sure how the experience would go but it went really smooth. The resort advised us to also carry our room key (credit card looking key) as well in case we ran into any issues. We had ADR for Cinderella's Castle and Chef Mickeys. No issues, although they just looked up our reservations on their computers, never asked to see our bands.

Our bands worked flawlessly for fast passes and I even changed them on my smart phone a few times, the magic bands updated right then, no issues. We had no issues getting into our rooms using the magic bands. Although another guest mentioned that her door did not lock after using her band. After she said that we made sure to just double check that our door locked, we never had a issue.

Entry was hit and miss, more hit though. A few times a least one band in our party did not work. However, there was a staff member at each entry point ready to handle any issues. We simply stepped aside, the staff member rescanned our bands with a ipad and we went on our way. No waiting, very smooth process when we did have a issue and like I mentioned it was only at entry and not every time.

We linked our CC to our band and had no issues there either. At the end of our stay all charges were correct.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,322 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Magic Band concerns

We just got back, we happened to have no problems at all. But some people did, luck of the draw right now I guess. I don't know if I like them or not, still think the billion dollars could have been better spent but oh well.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Magic Band concerns

We had a really bad experience with them They didn't work at all for the FP+, everytime we had to call someone over to sort it out. In fact it was really embarrassing being interrogated in front of a huge queue of people everytime they were refused. they were hit & miss with entering the park too. I must have wasted hours overall trying to get them sorted. they were reset several times by CM's but still didn't work properly. It got to the stage where we were dreading going through a FP queue. I was actually grabbing a CM before we scanned them so as not to waste as much time. The Magic Band system seems to be working on 2 separate systems that cannot link up. The CM's trouble shooting the magic Bands outside the rides had no trouble seeing our FastPasses when they scanned our bands, however, when we scanned them at the FP entrance they were not being recognised, very very frustrating. I wasn't impressed at all.

Funny though they worked perfectly for paying for things, no problem taking out money with them.

Mechanicsville...
Level Contributor
223 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Magic Band concerns

My family used the Magic Bands for four days in early November - there were three of us (me, wife, teenage daughter). During our stay, we never had any problems with our band. You do have to make sure you touch “Mickey to Mickey” when using them. Our experience with the Fast Pass+ system was also a great one. We can’t wait to return and use them again.

Indiana
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Magic Band concerns

We got back yesterday. Our bands worked perfectly the whole trip. The Fastpass+ times, the room key, the park tickets and even the MVMCP tickets were all on the bands and all worked without a problem. I have not looked up our photopass pics which are also attached to them yet, but I'm sure they are fine too.

Don't worry about it at all. The bugs are being ironed out pretty well. I only saw 1 person with an issue and they were taken to the side and it was fixed on the spot.

One more thing - We had a time set for Splash Mountain, but it was down. They said we could either set a time for a different ride or just come back any time during the day when it was running. If you want to set a different ride, you need to do it before your time window is up for that ride (at least on the phone app). We chose to go back later when it was up. When it was running again (3 hours past our window), the Fastpass person had us touch the Mickey with our bands and set them to let us in. It took 5 seconds.

Edited: 10 December 2013, 14:53
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
442 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Magic Band concerns

Thanks for the responses. Im a little concerned because we are a family of six and my wifes sister and her family are travelling with us, so we will have ten in our group. with that many people i just fear it is a recipe for disaster. I was hoping to avoid these things until our next trip where it would only be our family.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Magic Band concerns

It must have been me you saw with the "issue" Frank! But then it couldn't have been me as I was "grilled for at least 5 minutes then sent off to a FP kiosk to get it sorted then had to join the FP queue, again!! One example, we arrived at DHS at TSM at 910am for our FP we actually got on the ride at 9.50am, the standby queue was only 40 minutes so it wouldn't have taken any longer using that.

1967foodie we did touch Mickey to Mickey (I know we're Brits and a bit thick but we managed that) and they still flashed "BLUE" meaning "No Entry"

I'm very pleased for all of you who's bands worked "perfectly" but i can assure you ours didn't and it was a pain in the backside, so anyone heading out that way using the bands be aware that they do not always work and it can be embarrassing being grilled by the FP CM at every entrance. They made you feel like you were trying to use the FP lane without actually having booked a slot. The amount of times I was told to show the booking on my "smartphone" which i do not have, was unbelievable and when I told them I didn't have a smartphone they looked at me as if I had two heads!!! Not everyone owns a smartphone Disney, get over it!!

If it had worked for us no doubt I would be singing it's praises, but it didn't so I'm not.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
7,329 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Magic Band concerns

I have heard from Cast Members that the magic bands are making it a bit harder to sort out issues in some cases, especially with no smartphone. It was much easier to figure out who is genuine, who is just plain clueless, and who are trying to cheat under the old FP system. The guests that flashed their park tickets thinking they are the fastpasses (the clueless). The family of 6 that lost 5 out of 6 fastpasses and want to get in line with just the 1 (the cheaters). The family of 6 where 5 have one return window and 1 got a window 5-10 minutes later (the genuine).

No one should be grilling or embarassing you and you shouldn't be penalized for not having a smartphone. Unfortunately there are still people trying to be dishonest which is making it dicey for the good ones with bugs. Hopefully this all gets ironed out.

Alabama
Level Contributor
36 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Magic Band concerns

We just got back from 9 nights using the bands during the week of Thanksgiving and I am happy to report we didn't have any issues at all. I am in love with the bands!! I can't tell you how nice I was to actually sleep in one morning knowing our fast passes would be there when we arrived. I actually felt sorry for the folks without them because on the main attractions most fast pass - were gone early in the mornings, meaning you were stuck standing in line.

Now I did notice that some fast pass lines were longer than normal, I think for the most part it was still pretty quick.

As far as linking extended family to your mydisneyexperiance. I know it can be done but I believe I would call and have someone walk you through it. The last thing you want is to get there with problems from the start. They are happy to help you.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,900 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Magic Band concerns

We used the bands in November and they worked perfectly. There were no issues getting into the parks or using the fast pass system. I know it's a new system and that some people have had issues but that's to be expected with any new system. Just give it a try and, hopefully, you'll find that they work great.

Donna