We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Magic Band system

NY
Level Contributor
99 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
New Magic Band system

OK - have been a DVC member for 5 years and have learned how to navigate the WDW parks at the busiest time of year (we always go over XMas). Now there is the new band system. I have linked the bands to our tix and made our 3 FP reservations. But boy I think this will greatly diminish our experience, as the kids won't want to wait on any line >45 minutes. We're just spoiled I guess from when we could get several FPs in every park. Now I fear we may have very short days there (and we don't do Park Hopper)...ride our 3 rides, see a couple shows, and then we'll be bored. Anyone have any suggestions around this new system? Or comfort me that maybe with the new system the regular lines won't be as bad?

Dorking, United...
Level Contributor
404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Magic Band system

You should try and wait in line like non resort guests since this system was introduced! Our last Disney experience (not staying on site) was fairly miserable with very long lines, the guys with magic bands get preference and most of them booked early time slots so even when we made it for rope drop it was a complete waste of time. I for one am disappointed in the new system, however from what I understand, even though you book your 3 rides, you can still use your bands to get more fast passes, so should not really be an issue for you.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: New Magic Band system

That's my biggest worry, since the introduction of the FastPass+ has it become almost impossible for non on-site vistors to get on any of the popular rides?

It's a great idea for those staying on-site but a huge disadvantage to those who are not.

We're a family of 5 and I was planning on spending 3 weeks in a villa but now because of this, I've had to rethink our plans and consider staying on-site in a smaller, more cramped hotel room at a higher cost but I suppose that's what Disney wants and it's going to bring in a lot of revnue from those who wouldn't usually consider staying on-site.

It'll be the kids and my partner's first trip and they're not going to enjoy themselves if all the rides are in excess of an hours wait and their's no fastpasses since all the wristband people have already booked a slot.

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Magic Band system

Disney Mike says:

November 20, 2013 at 12:44 am

At this point, it’s all speculation, because the entire system is still in testing phase, and Disney hasn’t said what will happen after the testing phase is done.

Everyone will eventually get MagicBands, whether 60 days before checking into their Disney resort or when they purchase a ticket at the ticket windows. Rumors I’ve heard from cast members are that people will be able to link park tickets to MagicBands up to 60 days in advance — if they’ve purchased their park tickets that far in advance — and make FP+ reservations like everyone staying on property. This remains to be seen, but it seems reasonable.

Another rumor I’ve heard from cast members is that the paper FP ticket dispensers will be going away for good once the system is fully operational. When that happens, a percentage of FP+ reservations will be available 60 days in advance, with a smaller percentage (probably something like 20-30%) being reserved for “day of” reservations. You’ll get up in the morning and be able to make your FP+ reservations for the day on your smartphone, whether you’re at home or in a hotel in Orlando.

I’ve heard that annual passholders will be able to link their AP to the MyMagic system and make reservations 60 days in advance, whether staying on property or not.

Again, Disney hasn’t announced any of this, so we don’t know if it’ll actually happen this way, but it’s what the cast members are talking about. We’re DVC members (and passholders), so we’re always staying on property and we’re not particularly concerned about any of this. We’ve got our FP+ reservations set up for our December trip, and our MagicBands arrived in the mail a week or so ago, so it all seems to going according to plan (we were told that we were “testing” the MagicBands and that they weren’t being implemented resort-wide yet).

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Magic Band system

kelsy, if you book 3 fast passes ahead of time, you cannot use the bands to get more fast passes. If you also get a room key (at this point) you may be able to get more paper fast passes. You still have to get there early, because the popular ones are gone quickly.

NY
Level Contributor
99 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Magic Band system

I called and was told to link my MagicBand to my tickets (everyone should be able to do this once you buy tickets, whether you are staying in the resort or not) and that paper tickets are going away as of December 18.. Thus, everyone must be getting Magic Bands. To Kelsey - I don't see how you can get more than 3 FPs with the MagicBands. I have booked my 3 a day for my upcoming trip and am not allowed to book anymore. When I called they confirmed that during this testing phase, 3 is the limit. So without paper ticket FP machines anymore, would love to hear how you heard we can get more than 3?

Glenrothes, United...
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New Magic Band system

Fast passes were useless when I was there. 9:20am I scanned my card for test track... Come back at 8:55pm... Near 12 hours later. No thanks. Went single rider and got on in 5 mins

tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Magic Band system

>>Now I fear we may have very short days there (and we don't do Park Hopper)...ride our 3 rides, see a couple shows, and then we'll be bored.<<

So you don't ride any rides that don't use Fast Pass? Yeah, you'll be bored, then.

Dorking, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Magic Band system

What kelseymia was saying is that even with pre booking on the bands you can still get paper ones with your ticket. We saw this when we were there in November. People with bands were still using there paper tickets to get fast passes.

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Magic Band system

hi I am due to go in may and will be our first time ,any idea what the situation will be then , because this has just added to the puzzle of what tickets to get , from where and when to get them .

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
678 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Magic Band system

Here's my take on what I think will happen (this is all just my guess after a discussion with a Cast Member last week).

Eventually all Paper Tickets will be replaced by the Magic Bands, as (for obvious reasons) Disney are committed to ending the fraud and black market that currently exists with the paper tickets. IMHO this is the number one reason why they're spending millions of dollars developing and deploying Magic Bands!

Magic Bands will also replace your Key To The World card to make your room more secure and also so they can use your finger print when purchasing goods and also using your DDP credits (again, this helps them prevent more fraud)

You will also be able to use your Magic Bands to pre-book a time to FastPass+ up to 3 attractions per day. After that your Magic Band will then be able to be used to get a regular FastPass at machines similar to how it works now (albeit with you Magic Band instead of your Park Ticket). From Disney's point of view this helps them stop people from giving their FastPass ticket to other people as you will be required to scan your Magic Band and Finger Print when entering the FastPass line).

With regards to the Standby and Single Rider lines I can't see this making much difference, however, as the slots for FastPass+ will be presumably taken from the standard FastPass allocations I guess there'll be less standard FastPass tickets available for some attractions. That said, if you plan your FastPass+ times around the rest of your day this should be manageable.

The key to FastPass+ will be how well Disney manage people attending within their allocated time!

At the moment Magic Bands are just being tested/trailed and I gather you need to be "chosen" to take part in the trial so both the Magic Bands and FastPass tickets are in use. So if you're one of the lucky chosen ones you could, I imagine, use FastPass+ to pre-book a time and then use the regular FastPass to get another slot??

I'm not sure when Disney will fully deploy the system but I think Magic Bands really do mean the end for paper tickets and paper fast passes. The Fast Pass system will remain but just use your Magic Band instead, but will also be complimented by FastPass+

Edited: 16 December 2013, 10:20