We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discovery Cove for 2 Adults

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
Save Topic
Discovery Cove for 2 Adults

Hello

can some one please advise if discovery cove is worth doing for 2 adults (both just in to they're 30's). have been Orlando before and never done this as i presumed it would be kiddified but im not to sure.

what is the experience with swimming with dolphins like is it a quick 5 second drag around a pool?

many thanks

Lee

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,535 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Discovery Cove for 2 Adults

I'd say Discovery Cove is very adult like as it's like an all inclusive beach resort with free food and alcohol and happens to have the dolphin interaction option. The interactions take place in one of 3 areas each of which operate 4 groups of 6-8 people throughout the day. It is a standing, shallow water interaction where you'll get a chance to meet, touch, and learn about a dolphin from the trainers. At the end you have the opportunity to do a dorsal fin two and yes that's very quick. "Swimming with the dolphins" is probably a misnomer. It's a "dolphin interaction". Use the search box for terms such as "is Discovery Cove worth it", and, recent comments about documentary films and animals in captivity aside, you should find that the overwhelming reply from those who have actually done it is yes the experience is worth the cost. Keep in mind that tickets for SeaWorld and Aquatica are also included, and with Busch Gardens too with an upgrade.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Discovery Cove for 2 Adults

cheers

see tickets sides im mega confused about i normally get a Flexi Plus 14 day and stagger as i go for 3 weeks. but not sure what is the best option when i take the Discovery Cove option.

i thought about getting the discovery cove and then a Disney Universal Combo which would cover all but 1 park then (No Wet and Wild)

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,535 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Discovery Cove for 2 Adults

Discovery Cove with Busch Gardens upgrade and a Universal 2 Park Bonus Ticket. A 3 park if you want Wet N Wild. You can do your Disney tickets as usual. Though do consider buying USA Disney tickets only for the days you need instead of the UK 14 or 21 day for possible savings

Edited: 19 December 2013, 14:48
Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,535 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Discovery Cove for 2 Adults

After thought...you asked about parking at Downtown Disney.

Discovery Cove does offer a parking package for your visits to SW, A, and BG you may want to inquire about with them if you plan multiple visits to those parks.

Also, with a 3 week stay, I'd also weigh up the price of a Universal annual pass which would include free parking versus the 2 park Bonus ticket which does not.

If you have DC, A, and the Disney Water Parks not sure you need Wet N Wild too only if you want it.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Discovery Cove for 2 Adults

Wet n Wild to me is the best park so i definitely will want to go there.

the original plan was to get Seaworld and Universal only tickets but the misses has the urge to do all parks again (going 2015 next).

the hardest thing is that there is no prices for 2015 tickets yet which is annoying but atleast i got the flights booked

Orlando Freedom Plus is £509 fro 2014 (included the Wet nWild)

£200 for discovery cove ultimate + £40 for Seaventure walk

£130 for a Universal 3 Park 14 day ticket

£257 for a Disney 14 day ticket

total £587 + £40 for seaventure

Think that will be the only way to go unloess you can think of a cheaper option?

New York
Level Contributor
464 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Discovery Cove for 2 Adults

My husband (40's) and I took my kids to DC and swam with the dolphins. First, it is beautiful. You can snorkel in water anywhere from 2 feet to 12 feet. Lots of fish. You can go to the bird santuary (it's OK). There is also a nice beach and other attractions, though the grand reef is the best attraction next to the dolphin encounter. We loved the dolphin encounter. You learn a lot about the dolphins while you are in the water with them. You get to feed your dolphin, pet her, kiss her, etc. She even does tricks for you. YOu then ride her for I would say 30 feet. It's a lot of fun. My husband was skeptical about it but absolutely loved it and said that it was well worth it. The food is decent and you can drink and eat all day. I would definitely try it if you like beach/ relaxing/ snorkeling.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,480 posts
2,110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Discovery Cove for 2 Adults

DC is expensive but is the best out there for the money as other destinations offer lot less for the money. You have the dolphin experience but its a day to do other things as well as just relaxing, eating and drinking.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Discovery Cove for 2 Adults

Personally, thought it was a great day for adults. I'll be going again next year but will just skip the dolphin swim. It's surprisingly cheap without that when you consider the free food, drink, parking etc.

Can't wait.

Halifax, Nova...
Level Contributor
72 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Discovery Cove for 2 Adults

We did it in October, three 40+ adults and a seven year old, we all thought DC was the highlight of our entire vacation, including Disney. Not 'kiddified' at all, but everyone had an awesome experience.

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Discovery Cove for 2 Adults

Discovery Cove is not kiddified. My Husband and I have been twice (both in our 30's) I also went once with my 12 year old sister.

I loved it the first two times, first was in 2007, loved it the second time in 2010 but the last time in 2012 I did not like it. They let more people in now and it was CRAMPED to the max, you couldn't swim at all in the reef and if you didn't get there at park opening say goodbye to a lounger!