We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Owners Direct booking let down (your advice please)

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greater London...
Level Contributor
263 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Owners Direct booking let down (your advice please)

Hi people your help and advice please

We chose a villa we liked on Monday from the owners direct website

e mailed the owner with our details and informed them we would pay on Friday as I was out of the country on business, they accepted this and agreed to this

they blocked out the dates on there calendar .

All this has been confirmed in e mails .

I get home Friday morning to find a e mail from there agent sunnyorlandorentals@gmail.com

with the words booking cancelled !!!!!

I e mailed the agent and the owner asking for a explanation and neither will now reply.

The question is should I contact owners direct to inform them what has been going on and the dubious practices by some of there clients ?

We just feel really let down and don't quite know what to do

Your advice would be appreciated

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,897 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Owners Direct booking let down (your advice please)

Obviously this is a big disappointment and just plain shoddy business practices. If I were you (and I'm not) I would let owners direct know what happened, give them a few days to fix their problem to your satisfaction and then either keep the reservation or move on and get another villa. Heaven knows, there is plenty of competition for villas and other lodging. However, I would not give owners direct unlimited time to fix this, or not.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,652 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Owners Direct booking let down (your advice please)

What to do is, first find your second choice and book it. I know you are disappointed (this has happened to me in the past) but you need to move on. Now that I own and rent, I don't use two different booking systems for just this reason.

Take a breath and realize you haven't lost money, as you didn't pay anything before it was cancelled.

I suspect, but dont know this could be a case where the owner and the agent both book the accommodation and you agreed just after someone else agreed with the agent. So the first booking (time/date wise) got the nod.

Unlike a hotel, the owner has only one unit to sell so two sales in short period of time can cause problems (whereas a hotel or resort would just put you in another room as they don't know which room/unit you will be in at the time of booking).

Greater London...
Level Contributor
263 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Owners Direct booking let down (your advice please)

Thanks Amanx

it was definitely not a double booking as the agent sent me the paypal invoice,

I know its not the end of the world but I just cannot believe people of a reputable booking website can act in this manner .

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Owners Direct booking let down (your advice please)

I would definitely let Owners Direct know as it is a tarnish on their reputation. Ok it may be an unfortunate one off but both the agent and the owner ignoring you is not professional. I’m sure that Owners Direct would wish to know of your complaint, both about the agent and the private owner, so they can at least monitor and possibly de-list them.

But now, in your position I would write it off to experience too and select another villa.

David

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,897 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Owners Direct booking let down (your advice please)

Even airlines double book. Just don't be the last one to check in.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,114 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Owners Direct booking let down (your advice please)

We book all our villa rentals through owners direct

As far as I am concerned owners direct is basically a vehicle through which villa owners advertise their villas to rent and owners direct just pass on your enquiry to the villa owner and then the onus is on the villa owner to deal directly with you - am I right in thinking this - anyone know?

So I would say the double booking is purely the fault of the owner although I know double bookings can and do happen with flights, hotels, restaurants etc it is frustrating

It's bad the owner hasn't had the manners to reply to you yet but they might be away or whatever

As for owners direct I'm not sure what their involvement would be -maybe the title of your post could be misleading IMHO it is the villa owner who has let you down?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
665 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Owners Direct booking let down (your advice please)

Some good suggestions above - If you don't get a satisfactory resolution/explanation then you should also name and shame them on here to inform other potential customers of their shoddy business practices and questionable ethics!!

Edited: 22 December 2013, 14:08
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,652 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Owners Direct booking let down (your advice please)

"As far as I am concerned owners direct is basically a vehicle through which villa owners advertise their villas to rent and owners direct just pass on your enquiry to the villa owner and then the onus is on the villa owner to deal directly with you - am I right in thinking this - anyone know?"

I don't use Owner's direct to rent my villa (but have rented one thru them in the past). This is exactly how it works, it is just a rental portal and OD will not help you in this case. In fact, they struggle to help those who rent thru them and there is a fraud at the end.

Which is why those sites with a rental insurance scheme are good to use. but they would nto help you here where basicaly you dont get your first choice.

This goes on in rental all the time here in the UK. My son who is at Uni set an appt to view a flat, the owner didn't show. Current tennents answered the door and kindly let my son and his friends view. They called the agent (yet again- had called him numerous times while waiting over an hour) and said they had seen the flat and wanted to take it.

Called him t he next afternoon asking when they could meet and sign the contract, when he said he had shown it (ie turned up) to a second lot of students and rented it to them (even though my son had agreed the rental over the phone the day before).

nothing illegal here (apart from a possible discrimination case) so nothing OD or anyone can help you with. You are left gutted, but that is how things work.

If you hate this whole idea, and cant bear it- rent a condo thru a large resort. No private pool, but you'll get the condo you want at the price you agreed as they have ,many of them.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,946 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Owners Direct booking let down (your advice please)

To me it possibly sounds like the owner or agent got another offer from someone who might be staying longer and they accepted their booking.Thats really sad and a bad business if it happened that way,but don't be discourage there are many villas available and you got very good advice from fellow posters,i hope all goes well and do have a great time when you go.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,944 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Owners Direct booking let down (your advice please)

The owner may have had another offer wiling to pay now, not later.