We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't make the mistake I made with my PhotoPass!

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Don't make the mistake I made with my PhotoPass!

I love the PhotoPass, and get it on all my trips to Disney now. You have 45 days to edit your photos and add borders, and order your CD. That seems like plenty of time, but I pushed it to the limit this time. With the holidays and so much going on, I was up against the deadline for my first day's photos to expire on December 30th.

I managed to finish choosing all my borders after midnight last night, but put off ordering the CD until today in case I wanted to make a few changes. BIG MISTAKE! When I went online to order the CD this afternoon, I discovered that all my morning photos from November 15th (our first day at Disney, and 45 days ago) had disappeared! Our whole morning at Chef Mickey's and Magic Kingdom, including our Splash Mountain photos, were gone! The photos started with the late afternoon ones that day. It took me a few moments to realize that they were expiring at the time of day they were taken, and not all at once at midnight on December 30th.

I was panicked and called the PhotoPass number to see if I could still get those photos. The recording said there was an unusually high number of calls and the wait would be 35 minutes. I was just leaving to go somewhere, but now I felt that if I left, more photos would keep expiring as they reached the time of day they were taken. I felt that I couldn't hang up the phone. I also couldn't order the CD because I was worried that once I did that, I couldn't add the missing photos. So I walked around with the phone on speaker, listening to the recording and every Disney song and movie ever made.

After over an hour, I HAD to leave, so I ordered the CD but kept the phone on speaker as I got in my car. A cast member FINALLY answered after an hour and a half, and I told her my story as I was driving. She looked it up and told me that she would extend and reinstate all my photos, and reorder the CD with all of them on it. She couldn't stop the original order, so I will get one incomplete CD and one CD with all the photos on it. About 34 of them had expired.

I cannot tell you how relieved I was. I am a classic procrastinator, and I am also a photo nut. I was so upset with myself for not just ordering the CD the night before...a few minutes and a few clicks on the computer would have saved me all that trouble. But thank God the photos were not lost.

SO...just a heads up to all you PhotoPass purchasers...when they say photos expire after 45 days, they mean it right down to the MINUTE. Not at midnight on the deadline date. Don't count on any leeway, unless you want to spend an hour or two on hold to straighten it out. I seem to recall that on my previous PhotoPass order (before they changed it to Memory Maker) the photos were still visible online for a day or two past the deadline.

Fortunately, they can retrieve photos for a time after the deadline, but it is a hassle and not guaranteed. A word to the wise. My New Year's resolution is don't procrastinate...get it done!

Magic Kingdom Park
Disney Parks & Activities, Theme Parks
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Epcot
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park
Water Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
880 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't make the mistake I made with my PhotoPass!

Great News Carmela and a good New Years resolution.

Happy New Year!

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
12,215 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't make the mistake I made with my PhotoPass!

Glad you got it sorted carmela.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm sure plenty of others have found themselves in your situation.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,451 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't make the mistake I made with my PhotoPass!

Glad it got sorted. Used to be 30 days. Now 45. And you can now pay to extend it too.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't make the mistake I made with my PhotoPass!

I know that you can pay to extend it, but I didn't want to pay extra and I had it in my mind that I would get it done by midnight on Dec 30th. Who ever heard of a deadline that expires little by little? Anyway, I did not have to pay anything to get the photos back that expired (unless you count the emotional toll)

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't make the mistake I made with my PhotoPass!

Glad you got them back carmela. lesson learned, stop procrastinating!!!!

Happy New Year xx

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't make the mistake I made with my PhotoPass!

Update: Received my complete CD with all my photos today! Had a few more anxious moments, because I had received the incomplete CD last Saturday and had not gotten the complete one as of yesterday. In fact, I called PhotoPass again yesterday and they assured me it was on its way and would arrive by January 10th.

I asked why I had gotten one and not the other when they were ordered within an hour of each other, and was told it was the "luck of the draw." In reality it was because the first one was shipped Express and the second one was shipped Economy. Don't ask why...it's one of those Disney mysteries

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't make the mistake I made with my PhotoPass!

So glad you got it sorted. I'm also a procrastinating photo nut. I am purchasing memory maker for our trip in march/april I've never done anything like it before, our trip is for 4 weeks (more by the time I make it back to Australia). So I guess I'd better not procrastinate too much :)

8. Re: Don't make the mistake I made with my PhotoPass!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 07:23