We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Payless Car rental Orlando, Florida Review

Japan
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Payless Car rental Orlando, Florida Review

Recently rented car from Payless Orlando for 6 days and felt unhappy. I was aware that Payless location is outside the MCO airport, so it was OK that we waited for 15 min for the bus and a long line at the small counter at Payless car (15-20 minute drive from Airport by their bus).

I got the good rate for car via online, but left that the facility has limited number of car, that was specially true during holiday season. So when we arrive there, we were offered a smaller car that we not enough for our begs, after some negotiation we agree for another car, but the thing most pinch me their insurance policy, it was very expensive and truly trying to cheat the customer by charging so much things as one bundled insurance policy. The insurance price ruined all the budget price attraction that brought me to Payless at first place.

I think other car rental at airport can easily match Payless TOTAL prices, I didn't see any saving by spending 2 extra hours. Once you are at Payless facility, you will end up taking what they have.

I am not an expert in car rental, but the guy offered me the car put so many things in my rental that left me unpleasant feeling, I was asked to come back with empty gas, but you always end up giving around half of tank unless you pay great attention on left over gas, and plan meticulously your last day of rental.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
42,412 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Payless Car rental Orlando, Florida Review

Yes, the "hidden fees" especially for non-U.S. drivers can really add up. It's very hard to truly compare "total cost to total cost" with many of these rental car companies.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Payless Car rental Orlando, Florida Review

I just returned from Central Florida. Payless Car Rental in Arizona was very nice and courteous, but; the business in Central Florida at 5309 McCoy Road is terrible. I will not be renting from this business again. I even talked to a very nice couple waiting in line to catch the shuttle back to the airport, and they also felt that this company had a lot to be desired. The gentleman especially was unhappy due to the pushy and rude nature of the employees. I myself was very disappointed in this business because like I said above, in Phoenix, Payless is so nice. My only positive here are the following points. Our car was a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. The car was wonderful on gas. The car got us where we were going. Unfortunately, because of lack of maintenance on the vehicle it was hard to keep aligned with the road and the tires seemed old. My husband did the driving and these problems were ones that he noticed. Both of us were very upset. When we got the car, we were told that if there was a scratch on the car that we would have to pay for it if we did not immediately pay for the car rental insurance. It was buy the insurance or be damned! They were pushy and rude and because my husband and I did not want to deal with that particular problem, and to be on the safe side from these individuals, we went ahead and bought the insurance. Plus, most Rental Car Companies have a form to fill out if you see scratches etc, there was not any form to right down any problems or scratches with the car. I thought this was odd. Also, there were no manuals in the car so we had to figure out all the controls on this hybrid that we had no experience with. As we drove away we tried to make careful notes about where the facility was located. We went on our trip. Came back into Orlando and spent the night. Though we tried to write down notes about where this Payless Rental Car was located, we were completely lost taking the car back. We finally called the business only to get a very confusing recorded message for directions. When we pulled in the guy looking over the car said that we would have to pay $10 Dollars a gallon for the 2 gallons we used getting to the rental car place, so it was now 6:30AM, our flight left MCO at 8:20AM. I proceeded to tell this man who was looking over the car that we had gotten lost, but he just ignored me. My husband was forced to leave with the car, go to the 7/11, and fill up the car, and then come back to the Payless Rental place while I watched our bags. I seriously did not feel like we were going to make our flight. We finally paid for the car and were cleared to leave. I had to go into the facility and use the bathroom. When I entered I heard the employees talking about the customers. Something in the way I had mentioned that we had gotten lost. Very unprofessional!! Even the shuttle bus drivers were rude. We luckily got our flight, but it was close. I have never had such an awful experience with a rental car company in my life and I will never again do business with these people.

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,328 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Payless Car rental Orlando, Florida Review

Payless is very clear about their insurance on the website. Look under "policies" and you'll see the insurance information. The information is not "hidden" at all.

annbot......Your complaint seems to be about the gas tank not being full and the need for your husband to go fill it up. It's too bad you got lost and used more gas than you should have but that is not the fault or the problem of Payless. You must return the tank full or pay.

Why did you buy insurance? I assume you have a car and drive at home. Your own insurance is usually sufficient to cover a rental.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Payless Car rental Orlando, Florida Review

Because Payless said that if we did not buy the insurance they would put a hold on our credit card until we returned the car. I did not have another credit card to use, and I had additional items to pay for. So, this company pretty much screwed us coming and going. Yes, it was Payless's fault.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Payless Car rental Orlando, Florida Review

#2) The car was filled and it did not fill all the way, and apparently shut off early. I have worked with Rental Car companies before.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,328 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Payless Car rental Orlando, Florida Review

"Holds" are standard procedure when renting a car. Do you understand what a hold is? You could still use your card for other things. Payless tells you this on their website....

"CREDIT CARD HOLD: The estimated amount of the rental plus $350.00 will be authorized against your credit card at the time of rental. Unused authorizations will be released upon return of the vehicle.

How did they "screw you"? Your posts are quite confusing.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Payless Car rental Orlando, Florida Review

I think my posts are straight forward. You might want to read them again. I have read through my sources that Payless Car Rental has had their BBB accreditation revoked for not complying with the BBB's policies. After reading all of the complaints on FB, and various other websites, I don't think that I am the only one that this company has treated badly. It seems that most of the customers that use Payless Car Rental are charged for fees that are just simply ridiculous. Considering your roll in this, I am surprised that you have not seen or heard of these problems.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Payless Car rental Orlando, Florida Review

OMG..RUN AWAY from the Priceless rental in ORLANDO!. We just came back from orlando -disney trip . We book a 1 week thru priceline for $165 (including an insurance they offer us for $60) .

Yes, we waited for a shuttle meanwhile all the rental within the airport where empty of customers ( aghh!)(low season in orlando) anyway ... we got there and we got in a line of 4 people. show print of confirmation and we though thats it.

My husband was doing the paperwork while i take care of the baby. when we got to the car i noticed a charge of $ 270 including an insurance. I went back to the office now its a line of 25 people ( forever line) and when i talk to the guy who took care of my husband he told me my husband has to come himself to find out why the charges of $ 270. ( it supposed to be $165)...

PRICELESS told us they have no deal with PRICELINE and the price were wrong. then i said can we then give you the car back and we get our money back then thr PRICELESS people says we would loose the money for the reservation (?) ?????? . what reservation they just told us they have no deals with priceline?... Oh Lord.. my husband so i was getting very upset and told me its ok do no let this ruin our vacations. We walk away with a tiny compact car for 1 week for $270! We will never rent a car by other parties involved and we will NEVER rent a car from PRICELESS and we will make sure the renters are within the airport.! lesson learned. ( we usually stay in Disney hotels no need of transportation but this time we had party to go and we stay out of WDW hotels.)

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,328 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Payless Car rental Orlando, Florida Review

*sigh*

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,109 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Payless Car rental Orlando, Florida Review

I realize English is probably not your first language but calm down a bit and stop ranting.

First of all, there is no company of Priceless? Did you mean Payless? What did Priceline say? Did you call/email them?

Let us know what they say. And complain in writing to Payless too. Dispute the 270 charge with your credit card company.