We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Character Dining

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Topic
Character Dining

What is everyones opinions, recommendations and general tips on character dining? We did Chef Mickeys for brekkie last time (11 years ago), and would love to do it again but I'd love to hear about other places. Last time we had 5 and 6 year old boys, this time tgey will be 16 and 17 plus their 10 yr old brother and 7 year old sister are the ones we need to cater for this time. What in your opinion is a must do, approx costs (from your experience) would be awesome too.

thanks Lynn

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Character Dining

We did three character meals - dinner at Chef Mickey's and breakfast at Tusker House and Ohana. We loved them all, but our favourite was the Tusker House breakfast. We booked this for 8:00 on a day that the park opened at 9:00 and it was really nice to go into the park before opening - so quiet. We finished at about 8:45 so it gave hubby and son time to get to Expedition Everest before the crowds while I got the FP for the Safari (keep in mind though that if any of you get motion sickness that you might rather book a later breakfast and do the rides first). I cannot recall the price as we had the Dining Plan, but you could check here for current menus/prices:

http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm

Edited: 06 January 2014, 15:58
West Conshohocken...
Level Contributor
171 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Character Dining

Agree on Tusker House, we also we've liked Crystal Palace but didn't care for Chef Mickey's (bad food) nor the Princess breakfast at Akershus Royal Banquet Hall (complete noise & chaos).

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Character Dining

I am surprised that there weren't more responses, so maybe I can get the thread going again by noting that all of the characters that can be found at character meals are listed here:

http://allears.net/din/cbchar.htm

Prices and menus of all restaurants are here:

http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm

I think it is always important to go to places that have characters that people want to see. Having said that, your family is a tough one because your young daughter might like princesses, and I am not sure your teenage boys could handle a princess character meal.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Character Dining

I loved Chef Mickey's (my favorite character meal by far), and I also thought the Princess Breakfast at Akershus was great. Both had lots of personal interaction time with the characters. The food at Chef Mickey's was the best though.

The only other one I have been to is Garden Grill at Epcot. That is not one of the more popular ones, so it is easier to book and the characters (Mickey, Chip 'n Dale) come around again and again. Food is family style and is from the gardens there at Epcot

vancouver
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Character Dining

Another vote for Tusker House. Great food. Reasonable prices. Buffet style which is actually good for a character meal. You can arrange your eating around the character's visits better. No letting your entree get cold while visiting with Mickey. You can just go get a refill or whatever. And the little parade around the dining room with the music and kids shaking the noisemakers is fun as heck.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Character Dining

A vote against Tusker house. Very long wait to get seated, I'm thinking 40 mins. and we arrived 10 mins. before our designated time, and this was in the 'off' season, and the food was mehhhhh.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Character Dining

Better with 'kids' yours' ages (particularly with the teenagers) would be O'Hana, because Stitch knows how to act up for different ages of kids, and also Chef Mickey's, for the same reason, but this time especially with Minnie and Goofy.

Level Contributor
1,050 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Character Dining

We love 1900 Park Fare for breakfast - the food is yum and the characters are varied (love the Mad Hatter here!). Some good suggestions above and you might also want to consider Garden Grill at Epcot? Character meal served 'family style' in a restaurant that rotates! As well as Mickey etc, you also get to meet Chip and Dale!

Have you considered the Backyard BBQ? Little more expensive than the others but drink (wine and beer for the grown ups!) is included and it's more of a party, with music, dancing and games as well as the character interaction.

Not character but have a look at the Sci-Fi Dine In Theatre in Hollywood Studios. Great atmosphere and theming and may just suit your older two aswell?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Character Dining

Fantastic recommendations everyone,thanks heaps. We will deep go to Chef Mickeys we loved it last time. I was planning on taking my daughter to the Disney Girl tea party, but I can probably do breakkie at the Royal Table for just her and me and a trip to the Bibbidy Bobbidy Boutique for the same cost and she would love that. As I'm a big pooh fan I'm considering dinner at Crystal Palace if the pennies will stretch :)

I'm all ears for any tips I should know for these 3 choices.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Character Dining

Fantastic recommendations everyone,thanks heaps. We will deep go to Chef Mickeys we loved it last time. I was planning on taking my daughter to the Disney Girl tea party, but I can probably do breakkie at the Royal Table for just her and me and a trip to the Bibbidy Bobbidy Boutique for the same cost and she would love that. As I'm a big pooh fan I'm considering dinner at Crystal Palace if the pennies will stretch :)

I'm all ears for any tips I should know for these 3 choices.