We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pros and cons of villa and best location of same?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
pros and cons of villa and best location of same?

hi all, as the title says planning a trip for Christmas 2014 and think of staying in a villa looking for pros and cons, have been 6 times before and always stayed on international drive, also looking for the best location (close to parks, safest etc)

Level Contributor
204 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pros and cons of villa and best location of same?

Take a look at this. Avillainflorida.com this is the villa I'm staying at in April. Not sure if it's the type of villa you are looking for but might give you an idea. I'm staying in a hotel for my 1st week in orlando and then the villa to see which I prefer. But If I'm honest am rather looking forward to jumping into the hot tub after a day at the parks.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: pros and cons of villa and best location of same?

thamks for that will check it out

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pros and cons of villa and best location of same?

We are staying in windsor hills. The guy who owns the townhouse also has a villa... Mickeys ranch.. It looks fab sadly it was booked for our dates in April.... WH looks great and has loads to do in it plus it is near Disney

Rock Hill, South...
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pros and cons of villa and best location of same?

We stayed at windsor palms last year and was awesome! A 3br 2 bath in May was only $680 for 9 nights! My family will be making reservations next week for the week before Christmas. We've narrowed it down to 3 choices. And i'm certain anyone will be a great choice.

There's 3 websites I've used with no trouble. VRBO.com, Vacationrentals.com and Homeaway.com. There are OUTSTANDING deals on each site. Just make sure each one has several reviews posted and owner has been with site for a while. Good luck!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,919 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pros and cons of villa and best location of same?

First of all your title doesn't reference xmas or any other time/dat.

second, the best location of a villa, and the best villa for youwill depend on many factors you haven't said- your theme parks chosen, schedule, time of year etc,

You have stayed in Idrive before, have you driven a car (you will have to 100% of the time with a villa) and do you like walking out to restaurants (you can''t with 99.5% of villas).

Have you also considered the halfway house of condo rentals? All the space and convenience of a villa, many in areas you can walk to bars/restaurants, many have hotel like facilities such as communal pools, amenities, restaurants, etc. but you wont have a private pool.

Most Villa complexes are safe (and perhaps safer than Idrive) but gated ones could be considered 'safest'. I'd go with the best villa/area for my budget. I don't tend to use communal facilities as I am out and about or in with my private pool.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: pros and cons of villa and best location of same?

will be doing all park but would like to be close to Disney, have driven before and am aware that w'ell need a own transport

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: pros and cons of villa and best location of same?

thaks for all the replies so far I check them all out

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: pros and cons of villa and best location of same?

We usually stay in an all suite hotel or a villa/condo/private home/whatever you call it. It just depends on what kind of deals we find.

Condo pros: larger, better equipped kitchen than hotel; more space; quieter; some of the ones in Orlando have game rooms and private pools; more for your money than an all suite hotel; free laundry; no maid to tip

Condo cons: many have cleaning fees and pool heating costs; cancellation policies are not very flexible; if you arrive and dislike your accommodations, there is not much you can do about it, you may have to supply some of your own essentials (soap)

All suite hotel pros: flexible cancellation; some have free suppers on weeknights; free breakfast; can request a different room; daily maid service; no pool heating or cleaning fees; more online reviews; someone at front desk if you have a maintenance issue

All suite hotel cons: we have found it hard to cook even simple meals in hotel room kitchens, noise from other rooms, many don't have ovens in kitchens, shared pool, smaller space for more money, laundry is often expensive, although Staybridge suites has free laundry

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,919 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: pros and cons of villa and best location of same?

Ok, closest Villas to Disney are int he Formosa gardens area (check out the Villa Map on Top Questions).

Many like Emerald Island and Windsor hills there. These are 2 of the closest developments to Disney (IMHO they are close enough to come back to your villa in the afternoon, and return for evening).

UK
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: pros and cons of villa and best location of same?

Looking at pros and cons of a villa...

Space! Lots of it! Forget being packed into a hotel room (which are normally one main room with a bed or two, then bathroom) - you'll have proper rooms, normally more than one bathroom (some en suite), a living room (or two)... however, depending on how many people are going, this may be a bit unnecessary. Or you may just want the space to sprawl.

Lots of stuff you won't get with a hotel room, like a garage, private pool and kitchen. At least in most cases. Again though, depends if you'll use them. We just leave the car parked on the drive outside the villa, and last time barely went in the pool or used the kitchen other than to store cereal and drinks.

It could cost less! Or it could cost more... villas are generally "x amount per week" so, if there's a lot of you going, it could work out cheaper than paying for two or three hotel rooms.

You'll be away from the *main* tourist areas (but not completely away) so you've got a lot more privacy and it's a lot quieter. Conversely, you will have to travel to get places and, in some cases, even getting out of the estate you're in will be a drive of a few minutes. However, if you stay along the 27 / 192 (which is where a lot of the villas are) you'll normally be in a good location for some supermarkets and restaurants. You can also use the opportunity to cook for yourselves too.

There's a fair number of other things too. Some villas may have a games console or a DVD player you can use, or wi-fi, or inflatables for in the pool. You may still have to get some things (like soap) and 3174 does bring up a good point - if you want to change your accommodation it may be a lot more hassle, or impossible. We had some instances in 2012 of things breaking and had to ring the villa management (bit of trouble when the phone line went down) but still had a very pleasant stay and most of the issues were actually local utilities going down. Also, we've never had people coming round to clean the villa whilst we've been staying there (though we are clean people).

Staying in a hotel is easier. Staying in a villa isn't, but we find it's worth the fuss.