We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To hire a car or not to hire a car?

London, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
To hire a car or not to hire a car?

Two posts from me in one day, sorry! But thought it better to post seperately.

We are staying at Rosen Inn Pointe. I do drive and therefore could hire a car but given the expensive parking at parks and cost of car hire between just two of us I can't decide whether to or not.

I wondered if I could get people views on this. If we did I would still use shuttle/lynx to Universal and lynx to Disney in the day but I would use the bus to get to and from MCO rather than paying for a taxi (don't want to Lynx with cases) and then to get maybe to Walmart and to go for late evening at Downtown Disney and Citywalk rather than risking missing last buses and having to pay taxis.

I am trying to get my head around whether the cost of hire and insurance plus minimal petrol (not sure if you have to pay to park in the evening at Disney/Universal?) would be cheaper than airport taxis, and maybe one or two potential late taxis back from evenings out?

Confused!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,914 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To hire a car or not to hire a car?

Why not rent the car, but not take it to the parks Every day? Saves on parking, but you'll still have the convenience when you need it (ie getting to walmart/disney)?

Esp maybe for Disney cuz the lynx trip there while cheap can take up to 2 hours. Work out the rt taxi fare, and strip out the Universal parking (take lynx/free shuttles those days).

London, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To hire a car or not to hire a car?

Thanks, agreed on convenience, was just thinking was it worth it for the price if I'm ony using it for a bit... I am a bit nervous about driving on the opposite side because I am a wuss and my husband doesn't drive ;-)

Thanks for your reply!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,914 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To hire a car or not to hire a car?

Be honest, it wasn't the cost it is the driving lol!

Do a few searches about it, but most find it a lot easier than driving in the UK. And most (some who had been 10 times before) who do it, never go back to not renting one.

London, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To hire a car or not to hire a car?

Ok... maybe a bit... you got me. ;-)

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
236 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To hire a car or not to hire a car?

We have been to Orlando quite a few times and always rent a car. We are just hicks from the country and make out fine with a GPS. Didn't even have that for a few years and now that we do we wonder how we did without it. My husband did all the driving but this year I am going to take a try at it too. a GPS will set you up in all the upcoming lanes etc. A car just saves so much time. Have fun!

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,960 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To hire a car or not to hire a car?

BeeFace get yourself behind the wheel you won't regret it

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,169 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To hire a car or not to hire a car?

It is only $15 a day to park. Driving will be a hell of a lot easier than waiting for a bus or a shuttle. You also get there and leave when you want.

Downtown Disney is free to park. I think City Walk is around $5 in the evening, but I forget.

Taxis run around $2.50 ish a mile + tip. They are not cheap. Going to City Walk would not be bad. Going to Downtown Disney would start getting expensive. $40 ish + tip from the airport.

Gas is around $3.33 a US gallon right now. It changes daily.

Edited: 17 January 2014, 18:13
County Galway...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To hire a car or not to hire a car?

I don't drive in Orlando because i don't want to but i have in the past and after a short time you will be fine it is very easy.

First time i drove in Orlando it was a first for left hand drive, automatic and been on the wrong side of the road after 30 minutes it was fine.

London, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To hire a car or not to hire a car?

Thanks everyone... you are tempting me!

Clola
Level Contributor
405 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To hire a car or not to hire a car?

HIRE A CAR, had to wait for a bus one day we were out and it was the worst day spend in Orlando as we always have a car, the heat and grumpy child was more than i could handle, hope you have a great holiday whichever way you decide x