We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney World with a 3 year old and 9 month old - am I crazy?

New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Disney World with a 3 year old and 9 month old - am I crazy?

Hi

We are planning a 5 night getaway with our 2 children and are thinking of Disney world. Wondering if Disney might be too much for a 3 year old and 9 month old - thoughts? Also, any recommendations on how many days we should get a park pass for and also on where to stay? Downtown Disney or not a 'disney hotel.

Many thanks.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney World with a 3 year old and 9 month old - am I crazy?

I think that you are just running for a lot of trouble.

Even your older kid will not remember anything about this visit.

Personally , since kids love animals you could try Animal Kingdom which is manageable.

Even better a non Disney park, Sea World. Lots of shows where you actually sit down so excellent for the kids.

Well on Sea World grounds there is also Discovery Cove. If you can afford it it will be nice since this park has no lines and very limited attendance. Very expensive though but it also includes both of the other parks, Sea World proper and Aquatica.

Since you get a full package then it can make the whole experience way less stressful. Hôtels I would suggest the Hawthorn Inn Convention Center which is within walking distance so you would even be able to go early in the morning to the parks, come back for a siesta and go back later. Also breakfast is included as well as a full kitchen.

pa
Level Contributor
54,260 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney World with a 3 year old and 9 month old - am I crazy?

I don't think you are crazy at all, your 3 year old will Love it and you will love watching them enjoying a bit of Magic

I would suggest at Least a 4 Day Base Ticket, visit each of the 4 Parks for 1 day each. You can add days if you want to revisit any of them

Staying at a Disney Resort does make the holiday simpler, you get free transport to all the Disney Parks as well as from and back to the Airport ( MCO) You can pop back to your Resort for afternoon Naps/rest time/pool time. There are current discounts, if your dates fit

Not sure what you mean by Downtown Disney Hotel or not a Disney Hotel

Suggested Resorts

Value - Pop Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2793105

Moderate - Port Orleans Riverside www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3173085

Deluxe - Wilderness Lodge www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201827

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,534 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney World with a 3 year old and 9 month old - am I crazy?

Disney World is all about the "magic" through the eyes of your children, and the child within you. Stay on-site, visit each of the 4 Disney parks, and take time to relax at your Disney resort. It will be a wonderful trip.

Downtown Disney hotels are not Disney hotels, so they do not have the extra perks; free transportation to/from MCO, Disney transportation throughout WDW, and extra park hours for Disney resort guests.

Happy Planning!

Wyoming
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney World with a 3 year old and 9 month old - am I crazy?

You are not crazy at all! We are taking all of our children and grandchildren ages 2 months to 14 yrs. this includes 3 that are 2 years and under. Last night, The 18 mo old tried on a Mickey Mouse sweat shirt I had bought him and was so excited! Maybe some won't remember anything, but they will recognize moments in photos! They are all so excited . We are staying at Animal Kingdom which is a fun experience in of its self. You will have so much fun just watching them!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,866 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney World with a 3 year old and 9 month old - am I crazy?

You are no more crazy than any of the thousands of other parents who will be there with kids that age.

Take the days at their pace and enjoy your trip.

Spokane
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney World with a 3 year old and 9 month old - am I crazy?

We are currently at Disney with a 3yr old & 6 month old. If you don't stay on site stay some where close. We are at hiton bonnet creek (second visit) & we love it. The best tip I can give you is to be at the park at rope drop. It is amazon how much you can get done in a few hours. Go back to the hotel for lunch, swimming, nap time. Then go back to the park for parades & fireworks. It is amazing how much happier everyone is doing it that way!

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
704 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney World with a 3 year old and 9 month old - am I crazy?

You're not crazy. Our first visit was when our boys were exactly that age in 1997, and we stayed on site at the Caribbean beach. We had a fantastic time and are going again in August for the twelfth time, our boys both still want to go, aged 20 and 17.

We have wonderful photos and great memories.

New York City
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney World with a 3 year old and 9 month old - am I crazy?

I just posted a similar question - any advice you can pass on?

I am bringing my 3 yo and 15 month old in 3 weeks - a little nervous...

we are staying at the hilton sea world -

if you have any advice, would love to hear...

London
Level Contributor
971 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney World with a 3 year old and 9 month old - am I crazy?

Well we went for 2 weeks with an almost 3 year old and a 6 month old and had a fabulous time. We got to the parks early but left around 2-3 isn as we found the children were quite tired then. DS loved MK and AK, there was loads for him to do (not just rides) and the baby did most things with us (DH took DS on a couple of rides just the 2 of them if they looked a bit too energetic!).

it worked fine, there is a good baby centre in MK if you need somewhere to feed etc.

Lunch with winnie the pooh at the Crystal palace was fab. enjoyed by all.

We booked off site in a 1 bed with washer/dryer (invaluable).

Any questions - just ask!

London
Level Contributor
971 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney World with a 3 year old and 9 month old - am I crazy?

Oh and people will say they won't remember etc well of course the baby won't, but our 3 is still talking about it, so we have booked to go next year! And you will have all the memories and photos.