We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alamo debit card hold

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Alamo debit card hold

Hi it will be my 1st time in florida this summer and will be using a mixture of cash, debit card and prepaid fairfx card. I'm just wondering if anybody knows how much money Alamo put on hold in your account if you use a UK visa debit card or prepaid visa card. I will have already paid for the car and insurance upfront before leaving the uk but i understand that they will take a swipe of my card when I pick the car up. I dont want to be in Florida only to find I'm getting short of funds because Alamo have put a hold on some of the money in my account.

Before anyone says use a credit card I don't have or want a credit card after getting in to trouble with one when I was younger.

Mark

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alamo debit card hold

Get a definite answer, in writing, from Alamo. Then there will be no surprises. Their contact page....

https:/…3D

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,801 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alamo debit card hold

Only Alamo can answer this - you will get too many conflicting views on here

When you have been in touch with them let's know what they say please

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Alamo debit card hold

as far as i am aware they dont take any money. its just a copy for the "if's" i usually credit card mine and i have never had a statement saying they took money then returned it.

also with credit card you can get them to cancel it if they do take money (unfairly) which is a lot harder with a debit card.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alamo debit card hold

didnt read the last line re credit card sorry.

each to there own got in trouble my self when young but now im disciplined enough plus interest free for 18 months helps with the hard times as long as you clear it are free fuel from tesco :D

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alamo debit card hold

<<<<<as far as i am aware they dont take any money. its just a copy for the "if's" i usually credit card mine and i have never had a statement saying they took money then returned it.

This is why you should ask Alamo directly.

Holds for a deposit do not appear on any billing statement. If they use some of the hold money it will appear then as a charge.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alamo debit card hold

Holds will appear as a debit when using a debit card. Use the link I provided and give all your details to Alamo. They will give you an absolute answer.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,486 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alamo debit card hold

Alamo has a person who is a TA member whose job is to monitor social media sites for problems with their rental. His name is Mitch and, if necessary, you can contact him by PM. tripadvisor.com/members-forums/AlamoRentACar

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alamo debit card hold

Thanks everyone. I contacted Alamo as hawkeyetough88 suggested and they advised me they would hold $100 for each week of the rental which would be released when I returned the car.

Thanks

Mark

9. Re: Alamo debit card hold

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 06:18