We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My TR....14th to 27th Dec

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
My TR....14th to 27th Dec

Now down on Ft. Myers Beach. This is one of the barrier islands just south of Sanibel. Fabulous 7 mile crescent beach and beautiful white sand as are all the gulf beaches. Very quiet and peaceful after our week's cruising. Nothing much to report.....just living the American dream.

Quite uneventful except that we had 2 weeks of just relaxing in glorious weather in the mid 80's. Stayed for 1 week at the southern end (very quiet), and moved up to around mid island for our 2nd week. Further north is the pier area where most things 'happen' (a bit like Clearwater) so the best of both worlds.

First week in a wonderful 2bed 2bath condo with pool, gym, secure garage, new beach chairs with umbrella and cooler. Ideal for us and just across the road from the beach. Walked the beach every day, saw many dolphins, some that nearly came right up to the shore. Paused to chat to friendly holiday makers which is always a treat as usually Americans who are the friendliest people in the world IMO.... met a huge guy from Chicago (Tony Soprano look-a-like) who was intimidating and hilarious at the same time lol. He had much to say about Obama and the running of the country, got a lot off his chest, but had his twin girls with him (4 yrs old) who were the apple of daddy's eye and soooo cute. Did not hear 1 UK accent the whole 2 weeks.

2nd week moved up to mid island of mostly low rise condo buildings and quite near to Publix. This was a 1bed 1bath 2nd floor newish condo right on the beach. Again with pool, beach chairs, pool toys etc. Again walked on the beach every morning up to the pier, where we called in at Selwins for our usual daily dollop of ice cream. Sat and watched the world go by, Walked along the pier and saw some pretty intense fishing going on between man vs. pelican. Who would catch first??? lol

Took the trolley bus to Lovers Key one morning, Shared the beach with a couple of families, some wild life and a few cyclists. Sea like a millpond. Great swimming. Another day we drove to Naples and had a good day, and one day spent at Bonita Beach....Paradise. Ate out at Charlies Boat House, The Crab Shack, Perkins, Dennys and a few small fish restaurants where we enjoyed the daily catch. As I read this back it sounds very boring, but perfect for us.

Last day drove up the 75, stopping for lunch at Sarasota and one last look at the beach, and then up to the I4 to Orlando for our evening flight home.

Didn't even try to book for the bubble seats this time, we were quite happy downstairs lol. Many empty rows so we could all spread out for a few hours sleep, and although I don't/can't sleep on the plane, was kept occupied throughout the night with the excellent seatback entertainment.

Thanks for reading.

Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
381 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My TR....14th to 27th Dec

Thats quite possibly the best tr I have read, I really could imagine myself there it sounded... Perfect.

Glad you had a brilliant holiday, when are you going back?!

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,434 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My TR....14th to 27th Dec

I love it down there. I couldn't take my normal long weekend this year which is a bummer. I always find good food and nice people in Ft Myers Beach as well. I really miss my Yucatan Shrimp Tacos at Doc Fords and my stop at the farm for strawberries on the way back home.

I'm glad you had a good time, and I got to think about some of my experiences too.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My TR....14th to 27th Dec

Sounds absolutely perfect :-)

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
4,888 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My TR....14th to 27th Dec

One word sums it up...............WONDERFUL :-))

London
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My TR....14th to 27th Dec

....sorry, ice cream shop was Kilwins, not Selwins....doh !!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,014 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My TR....14th to 27th Dec

Glad you had a great time.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My TR....14th to 27th Dec

Sounds really relaxing ff,,,makes me wish I was away from all this hustle and bustle in Orlando,,,you like your seafood,,,i will say that:)

London
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My TR....14th to 27th Dec

I suppose this TR should be on the Fort Myers Beach forum.......but this Orlando forum is my home and I rarely stray from here, so apologies to anyone who thinks my TR shouldn't be on here :-(

cornwall
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My TR....14th to 27th Dec

bloody master piece, im sure we all long for that kind of stay

Manchester N.H.
Level Contributor
10,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My TR....14th to 27th Dec

Nice report,FF. It sounds so relaxing. (and warm) ;+))

Can I ask the name of the place you stayed in Fort Myers? It sounds perfect.