We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels that will rent to Under 21 year olds

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels that will rent to Under 21 year olds

My daughter and a group of her friends are hoping to travel to Orlando in the summer. The only problem is, they are all either 17 or 18 years old. Does anyone know of a hotel that will rent to a responsible bunch of girls under 21? They are looking at going to Disney, Sea World and universal. Also, I am crazy to let them go on their own?!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,122 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels that will rent to Under 21 year olds

I don't think you'll find many places that'd be willing to do so where they would be relatively safe.

For obvious reasons, the reputation of the behavior of many young people that age almost warrents places to forbid stays without adults who would be financially responsible for damages caused if any. You know them personally and you feel there would be no problems, but hotels can't take the risk, so they have to punish the many for the past sins of the few.

Is there no way of any adult chaperones being able to go as well?

pa
Level Contributor
53,830 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels that will rent to Under 21 year olds

Welcome to the forum

They can stay at any Disney Resort, must be 18 to book, is the requirement

They would have free transport to all the Disney Parks as well as from and back to the Airport ( MCO) Easy enough for them to get the public Lynx Bus to visit Seaworld and then get the Ticket and Transport option to visit Universal Parks

Safe and comfy :)

More info if needed

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,705 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels that will rent to Under 21 year olds

"Also, I am crazy to let them go on their own?"

I can only speak for myself: I would NOT do it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,423 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels that will rent to Under 21 year olds

As Partypa stated...18 yr olds can book Disney hotels and there are many hotels in the area that will as well. You just need to check out the 'Terms' area on website or give them a call. Lake Buena Vista is a pretty safe area, especially near Downtown Disney (Hotel Plaza Blvd). International Drive might be a good choice as well. I wouldn't say you're crazy at all...after all 18 is a legal adult and many 17 yr olds are already in college and on their own for most of the year. You know your daughter and her friends best, so go with your judgement.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,754 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels that will rent to Under 21 year olds

At 18 years old I had already been working full time in London for 2 years and going on vacation to Europe with my friends.. Should you let you daughter go? Only you can answer that. At that age I wouldn't have been looking for parental permission.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,834 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels that will rent to Under 21 year olds

I never suggest a Disney property but in this case it will probably be the best and safest choice.

<<<<<I am crazy to let them go on their own?!

It's your kid. You know her, nobody here does. To ask opinions about being "crazy" is silly.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels that will rent to Under 21 year olds

I'd recommend Disney too. Not having to worry about driving makes for a lower stress vacation for anybody. And, being inside the Disney bubble with it's extra layer of security is nice too. As to sending them down on their own, as others have suggested, that depends on the kid. If they're reasonably level headed (for an 18 year old) they'll do fine.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
267 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels that will rent to Under 21 year olds

When I was 18, my three best girlfriends and I (two 18, one still 17 at the time) went to Disney World on our own to celebrate our high school graduation- it was the best trip! No chaperones, just us. We stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter in one room. We loved the room and the pool there, we also got the regular meal plan which worked out great.

We were very responsible kids in high school, seriously, and I think that's why our parents didn't mind. We earned their trust and we made sure we kept it while on the trip (we had the "goodnight parent call" where we each called home when we got back to our room for the night, no matter if it was 9pm and we were turning in early, or 2am and we closed out extra magic hours, our parents always got the "I am safe in my hotel room and going to sleep now" phone call). We didn't drink, get loud in the hotel room, or even ever leave Disney property.

I was 18 at the time we made the reservations and I did all the booking for us online. Our parents encouraged us to go! If a group of teens want to go somewhere alone, Disney is probably one of the best places. They wouldn't need to drive at all, and everything they'd want to do is right at their fingertips. The "Disney bubble" has a lot of safety and security measures in place. Plus with everyone having cell phones now you could set up a system to keep in touch (ask her to text you at certain times throughout the day, etc.)

What it really comes down to is you trusting your daughter and her friends. You are the only person who can answer the "am I crazy" question! In your original post you call them "a responsible bunch of girls" so maybe you already have the answer :-)

Also I notice you are from Canada. I think in some parts of Canada you can drink at 18 or 19 (correct me if I'm wrong) but keep in mind in Flordia the age is 21 and in my experience Disney is pretty strict about IDs for young people (still getting mine checked at 25). None of them will be able to drink- which may be another reason for you to feel comfortable letting them go!

Sorry this ended up so long winded :-)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels that will rent to Under 21 year olds

I don't think you're crazy at all - my daughters are 26, 24 and 22 and all of them travelled to various places outside Canada at that age. One of my daughters did want to go to a concert in Detroit but couldn't book a hotel (you had to be 21) so she ended up staying in a hotel across the border in Windsor, ON. I also did travel myself at that age and I think it's great for kids to become independent and travel on their own. I think a lot of parents have become somewhat too overprotective nowadays.

Perry Hall, Maryland
Level Contributor
87 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels that will rent to Under 21 year olds

We are helping a group of 6 teens plan a similar trip. I have no worries at all a the girls are very responsible. The trip sounds great! I would suggest from what I researched to stay at a Disney resort for the Disney part and take a taxi or car service to Universal and stay at the Hard Rock for that portion of the trip. I believe the Hard rock offers transport to Sea World. Not crazy! As long as they understand they are in a "foreign" country and take normal precautions everything will be fine!