We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying petrol (gas)

Hythe, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Buying petrol (gas)

I am British and always have problems at US gas stations. When filling up using a UK credit card at the pump the machine asks for my Zip Code. We don't have these in the UK so I have to go inside to sort it out. I have been asked to leave my card with the cashier before but I don't want to do this for security reasons. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Ricardo (from the UK)

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
471 reviews
from US$54.99*
US$59.00
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
187 reviews
from US$128.99*
Special Offer
3-Attraction Ticket: The Coca-Cola...
14 reviews
from US$49.99*
US$87.87
Kennedy Space Center Ultimate...
77 reviews
from US$168.99*
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
17,260 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying petrol (gas)

I'm afraid there is no other way but to pay inside rather than at the pump. If you are really7 worried about credit card security, have another family member stay inside with the card while you pump the gas. Be sure to get a receipt for your purchase.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,824 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying petrol (gas)

use your debit card and when it asks for your zip-code

type in five zeros.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,221 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying petrol (gas)

Dont leave your card inside alone. Very bad idea.

Don't use a debit at the pump. For security reasons and they will place an authorization or hold ( which everyone seems to dislike) on the debit card account that will take several days to release.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying petrol (gas)

Pay cash.

If you need to go inside anyway to hand over your CC then just pay with paper money.

Just give them want you want to put in it, say $40, and the pump cuts off at $40. If the car is full before you reach $40 they give you your change back,easy.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,011 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying petrol (gas)

Pay with cash ... if you don't know how much gas the car will take you can always go back in and leave more cash.

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,124 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying petrol (gas)

Paper money - the most expensive way to spend. And the most risky! Fee-free credit card every time.

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,674 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying petrol (gas)

Don't want to leave your credit card? Pay cash.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,978 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying petrol (gas)

We always pay cash.

newtonhill scotland
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying petrol (gas)

Tip . small arrow on fuel gauge shows side ya filler cap is on.

If unsure how much fuel you need ask the assistant, done this in the past and they have been pretty good at guessing amount I require.

Use cash or swipe your card before pumping, never been asked to leave card inside before

10. Re: Buying petrol (gas)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 06:18