We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin/Alamo Florida car hire

Chichester, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Virgin/Alamo Florida car hire

We are going to Orland for the first time in March. Virgin Holidays offer a free economy car hire & basic insurance with our holiday package.

We are aware we need to buy additional insurance & pay airport taxes but we are unable establish what these these costs are.

Would we be better to forget the free car as some suggest and hire independently from the UK with full insurance cover for about £200 for two weeks?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin/Alamo Florida car hire

If you are travelling with children, or intend on taking a lot of luggage, I would undeniably avoid an economy car. They are compact and don't allow much room for suitcases. Hire independently, at least you can get a variety of quotes and find the best prices for insurance?

Have a good trip!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin/Alamo Florida car hire

Yes you would - economy size is tiny

Also I believe the "free" Virgin car is only for 1 week?

Forget that and rent your own

St.Helens,United...
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin/Alamo Florida car hire

In my opinion yes the car would be to small to fit all your luggage and yes you would be better booking your own car Alamo is good we've used them a few times with no trouble and also dollar

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin/Alamo Florida car hire

Whenever I've checked prices, after upgrading the car or insurance, it was always cheaper to just hire the car direct from Brit Alamo.

Goes for both Virgin and Thomson, the so called "free car" is a complete rip off.

Hampton, UK
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin/Alamo Florida car hire

In most cases it ends up being better ditching, especially as you are going to need a bigger car.

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
488 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin/Alamo Florida car hire

We travelled with virgin last year and requested an economy car. The car we had was a four door and could easily fit a family of 4 (5 at a push) and there was only two of us. Also the car covered the whole two weeks of the holiday, not as previously stated 'for one week'. We have done this through virgin each time we have travelled with them and this will be the fifth time this year. I must admit we have booked independently so cannot talk with experience about that, but we always ensure that we take the all inclusive insurance which covers everything for peace of mind.

Portsmouth...
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin/Alamo Florida car hire

We have just received this 48 hrs before we travel, we paid approx £60 taxes and bought our own car hire excess insurance for the full cover;

In an effort to help you hit the ground running upon arrival, we wanted to ensure you understand your Alamo Car Hire Basic Package. The Basic Car Package includes:

Air conditioned car with automatic transmission, unlimited mileage and a radio

Third Party Liability Insurance up to $1m

Third Party Liability Insurance provides you with cover to another vehicle, in the event of an accident. It doesn’t cover you for damage/repairs to your own rental vehicle if you are involved in an accident. You are also responsible for compulsory Airport fees, taxes and surcharges that will be payable on arrival. Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) will also be offered at an additional cost to provide you with cover to your own rental car in the event of an accident/damage. We strongly recommend you take out additional cover before you travel that includes these taxes and fees and CDW by purchasing one of our packages below:

Fully Inclusive Package - Includes Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), all pre-payable taxes, airport fees and surcharges.

or

Platinum Package - Includes Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), all pre-payable taxes, airport fees and surcharges plus up to 3 additional drivers, a tank of petrol, underage driver fees (21-25) and child seats.

The above packages are ONLY available before you travel. Our Florida Experts can help you decide which insurance option is best for you! Contact us today on 08445573890 or email floridarep@virginholidays.com for more information or to add one of these packages if you haven’t done so already.

Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin/Alamo Florida car hire

For eight years with Virgin we have taken the economy car and paid the fully comp insurance because has just been me and my daughter and we have ended up with a variety of cars all suitable for four people with luggage. This year, we fly next week, there are four if us including baby, so we wanted two drivers and we found it £120 cheaper to book with Alamo UK direct... Fully comp and up to three extra drivers and a mid size SUV. We just told Virgin we didn't want the car.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin/Alamo Florida car hire

Tracey - sorry I was under the impression that the free car with a Virgin holidays package was only for 1 week - apologies for wrong info

Still think economy is a tad small though!!

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,237 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin/Alamo Florida car hire

You will be lucky to get a car for £200 for two weeks with insurances included!!. We always hire with Alamo for two weeks and it costs a lot more than that. We get the package that includes extra drivers and a full tank of petrol plus all the insurances. Have a look at Alamo Brits or VA (not Virgin Holidays) to price it up.