We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doing Florida/Disney with a 3 year old?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Doing Florida/Disney with a 3 year old?

My husband and I went over 13 years ago before we married. I would love to take our 3yo son but wonder if he will 'appreciate' it yet or is he too young?

What rides etc can little ones do? Which parks are best? He loves animals so Animal kingdom and sea world will be a must, magic kingdom ... What else? A water park maybe?

Any advice re accommodation, parks, will be much appreciated! Thinking of sept will it be warm then?

Thanks v much

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
486 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doing Florida/Disney with a 3 year old?

Have you thought about Seaworld. There are more close up encounters for him to enjoy. It is a bit more of a relaxed day too.

It will definitely be warm in September. We went in October last year and returning again this year as the humidty drops by then.

Do you want to stay on a disney property ? Will you hire a car so that you can travel ?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doing Florida/Disney with a 3 year old?

We can stay anywhere, it doesn't have to be a Disney hotel. May even consider a Villa because I think in laws will want to come too!

Yes Seaworld is one of the main reasons for going tbh. 😀

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,564 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doing Florida/Disney with a 3 year old?

I took my twins first then they were 4, and I think they got more out of it than they would have the year before.

But you need your holiday too, so go when you want. Sept is still very hot

Va
Level Contributor
11,045 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doing Florida/Disney with a 3 year old?

At 3 you are not going for your kid, you are going for yourself. I am sure they would have fun, but they have just as much fun with a cardboard box. At that age it is still a challenge following the daily routine. You should be past diapers, but you still have nap time to schedule. You also have little legs that can get tired quickly (unless of course they are the super human type that don't need strollers at that age), but a stroller can help with that and provide a spot to nap if you have something more than an umbrella stroller. You also have the cost. For a 3 year old you should be buying a ticket which is an awful lot of money for someone that age that really can't ride many rides. Our original plan when my daughter was young that we would wait until she was 5 to take her. We couldn't wait. She went the first time when she was 2. It was a great time, but a lot of work.

Dublin
Level Contributor
127 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doing Florida/Disney with a 3 year old?

We took our 2. 1/2 year old last year and he loved magic kingdom and all the parks . If he is taller than 36 inches he can ride lots. Go onto all their websites and you can see the height restrictions. Our guy loved the mini rollercoasters . He is a bit of a speed freak now :) . We loved it so much we are going again with him in May and he will be 3 1/2 . Honestly just let go and I promise he will enjoy it

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,701 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doing Florida/Disney with a 3 year old?

A three year old is too young to appreciate most of Disney. That's not a reason not to go,you need to have a vacation too so go when it is convenient for you. Toddlers are a lot of extra work but if you can handle it at home,you'll be able to handle it on the road. I would advise staying at a villa or a suite resort-having a kitchen is essential and being crammed in a hotel room means disrupted naps and not enough storage space at the very least.It will be very hot and humid in September and still pretty rainy in the afternoons.Animal Kingdom is great for toddlers;lots of rides they can go on,great shows and of course,animals encounters. The safari ride is good for all ages.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Doing Florida/Disney with a 3 year old?

We took our 3 y.o. a few years ago. We thought doing all four Disney Parks in one trip would be asking for trouble, so we chose to just do MK, AK and Sea World. She is normally an obedient kid not subject to massive tantrums. While she didn't have tantrums, she'd get really whiny and cry every day right before lunch. I remember a lot of crying on the monorail. We'd go back to our lodging for a midday break, and that seemed to help, although we couldn't get her to nap in a "strange" place, even with a separate room in a condo (she has sleep issues). She'd fall asleep in her stroller when we returned to the parks around supper time and then one of us would have to sit and watch her stroller because we didn't want to wake her up to go on rides. Therefore, I missed some of the things I wanted to do, but I guess that's traveling with a preschooler for you.

If I had to do the trip again, I would have waited until she was about 6. She remembers very little from the trip. We're going back next year when she will be 7 and she's already bouncing with excitement about eating with the princesses. So, I think the last trip was for us and our older kids, but this one will definitely be for her.

I'm sure you'll hear from many who had successful trips with 3 year olds. A potty trained 3 year old is still better than taking a 1 or 2 year old. Is it doable? Yes. Is it ideal? No.

Disfaninnnyc gives good advice. Get a condo so you can put your child to bed early without having to go to bed early yourself. Even though our daughter wouldn't sleep in her separate bedroom, I think she's somewhat of an exception and most kids would. Having a washer and dryer is also a bonus. Orlando has fabulous deals on condos and private homes, many for much cheaper than a regular hotel room at a Disney property or even a mid-priced hotel such as a Homewood or a Staybridge.

Edited: 27 January 2014, 15:36
Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doing Florida/Disney with a 3 year old?

My son first went when he was 2 and he absolutely loved it!!! They are never too young you just have to take it at a different pace... We are going back in April and my youngest will be 3 and I know he will love it... They enjoy it more than we realise it....go for it...

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,929 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Doing Florida/Disney with a 3 year old?

Your son will probably love it but at 3, it is doubtful he will remember his holiday.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,564 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Doing Florida/Disney with a 3 year old?

Mine dont remember it from when they were 4, they remember some from when they were 6 though.