We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire sneeky charges

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
car hire sneeky charges

Hi,

I've just made my car hire booking for my upcoming trip to Orlando.

I did some shopping around and managed to get the best price suitable but now im panicing in case I get stung on arrival for a item ive missed.

ALAMO direct quoted me £453 for 21 day hire on a dodge charger.

however

skyscanner > net flights > Alamo quoted me £393 for 21 day hire on a dodge charger.

I tried to cross reference the inclusions in case I was missing anything obvious but they reference them differently because the web page display is different between the two sites.

the only thing I can see that's different is a reference to Florida surcharge tax at $2/day.

Does anyone have any experience of booking this way??? then getting stung at the counter

thanks

John

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire sneeky charges

I asked a similar question the other day. It seems if you book direct with Alamo, there are no hidden charges. Did you use Alamo or Alamo Brits? Alamo Brits gives a further discount for Brits and a few other benefits.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire sneeky charges

Never use Alamo, Never really trusted them, Avis is the only vehicle hire company I use, what you see is what you get.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,227 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire sneeky charges

Alamo have always been fine for us. We have used them at least twice a year for the past ten years in the USA and have not had any problems. We book through Virgin Atlantic (not Virgin Holidays) and get their insurance package that includes all the insurances/taxes you need, 24 hr roadside assistance, extra drivers and a full tank of petrol. We know that when we collect the car there is nothing at all that we need on top of that and we have never had a problem with being billed for extras.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire sneeky charges

We normally book with Alamo through rentalcars.com, and also previously with Netflights, and we havent had any extra charges except for tolls. They do try and sell you extra stuff you dont need at the desk, but all you have to do is say no. If you book with a broker here in the UK, all the insurances you need are included in the price

Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire sneeky charges

John,

Assuming you booked through the Alamo UK website you will be covered for everything you need. There are various level so upgrade offered on the UK site but the "fully inclusive" option is sufficient.

If you do get to the counter they may try to sell you additional insurance cover for tyres, breakdown cover and windscreen damage but these are not compulsory and you can decline them if you wish.

The price difference thing is quite common if you go to an agent rather than direct to the hire company themselves. Alamo Brits for instance offers 10% off the claimed Alamo price and is connected to a book called The Brits Guide to Orlando and not because your British. Virgin Atlantic also generally offer Alamo cars cheaper than Alamo themselves.

I have used Alamo numerous times over the years and found them to be very good and one of the better hire companies around. Used Avis at Christmas for the 1st time and they were OK. In the past I have found Dollar to be a bit pushy and there cars were generally older but we haven't used them for a few years.

Check your contract and see of you can cancel without penalty. If you can then have a look around for a better price, book it, then cancel your original deal.

One last thing that I'm sure you know but it may be Dodge Charger or similar as hire companies very rarely promise the car you want unless you want to pay a hefty premium and £20 isn't hefty.

6. Re: car hire sneeky charges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 07:22