We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ear muff protectors for fireworks

newcastle
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Ear muff protectors for fireworks

We're travelling in November to see all the Christmas decorations and want to go to MVMCP as well as see fantasmic and fireworks at Epcot. When DD1 went when she was just turned 2 she hated the noise so as DD2 will be only 12 months if wondered about buying her some ear protectors.

I know some people will say just don't take her to these things but we have two other children who want to go to them and besides DD2 loves lights and colours so think it will just be the noise that is the issue.

Has anyone tried these protectors at the fireworks and if so did they work?

Mentioned in this post
Epcot
Epcot
24,372 Reviews
Orlando, FL
South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ear muff protectors for fireworks

I haven't heard of special ear protectors other than earplugs, which are inserted into the ear. I use earplugs for fireworks shows, but they're kind of hard to get in, sometimes fall out and I don't think you could get these to stay in a 12 month old's ear. She might also hate the concept of someone stuffing something inside her ears. Ear muffs might be an option, but I don't think they sell these in a warm climate like Florida??? You could bring some from home or order online before you leave. Will the 12 m.o. leave them on? My experience with kids that age is that the don't leave anything on their head (hats, hair clips, etc.). You could do a practice test before you leave home because the night of the fireworks would not be a good time to find out she doesn't like the ear muffs.

Are there two parents traveling? Is one of you willing to leave early with the 12 m.o. to skip the fireworks while the other stays behind with the older kids?

We have kids of our own, and when they were infants and toddlers, one of us usually stayed behind and skipped the fireworks. It's past their bedtime anyway.

If they do make some kind of special ear protection for infants and toddlers, I'd be very interested in learning more about it. Anyone?

Edited: 30 January 2014, 15:03
Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
19,512 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ear muff protectors for fireworks

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=ear+protection+for+kids&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=3481615252&ref=pd_sl_a8y9jkzi8_b

you'll see them on musician's kids when they take to their concerts :)

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
19,512 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ear muff protectors for fireworks

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Junior-Earmuff-Black/dp/B000I7NX5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391094625&sr=8-1&keywords=ear+protection+for+kids

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
19,512 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ear muff protectors for fireworks

sorry the links aren't working, go to Amazon and put in ear protectors for kids

Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ear muff protectors for fireworks

I haven't used them myself, no kids, but I have seen kids with them on. I don't think any of them were as young as 12 months but I dare say you can buy them.

Lots of people also use them at F1 races for themselves and their children.

The ones that look like over the ear headphones would be best. I would say that having used them throughout my working life they don't completely cut out the noise but they reduce it greatly.

newcastle
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ear muff protectors for fireworks

It was Amazon I saw them on and they're from 3 months. Of course there is the possibility she won't keep them on but I did just wonder if anyone had used them at Disney as obviously their fireworks are so much louder than those you have at home.

If worst came to worst one of us could take her away back to hotel but I think she will enjoy the colours just not the noise. X

newcastle
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ear muff protectors for fireworks

Not quite sure why a X went on there!

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
19,512 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ear muff protectors for fireworks

Like I said Jo, people use them at rock concerts on their kids, so I would imagine it would work for the fireworks (which are loud, but I think the concerts are louder :)

9. Re: Ear muff protectors for fireworks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 06:21