We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando Driving - Toll Charges

ireland
Level Contributor
65 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando Driving - Toll Charges

I will be visiting Orlando staying on Universal Boulevard area in November and hiring a car.

I will be mainly visiting Theme Parks and Orlanado area in general but also plan to visit Cape Canaveral space station and maybe the coast around there.

Is a toll payable between Orlando airport and Universal Boulevard ??

What is the situation about using/paying toll roads as I have read that cash is no longer being accepted.

Could you tell me if that is so and also what roads are tolled and also costs involved, if there is anything else that I would be of help in respect of driving in the area many thanks

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,405 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando Driving - Toll Charges

As far as I know, you can pay cash at all the tolls in the Orlando area.

Central Scotland
Level Contributor
979 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando Driving - Toll Charges

Hi!

Our satnav gave us a bit of a bum steer the other day on our way to Universal and we were told we were to go off at a junction but it had no cash/credit facilities (boxed in by an 18 wheeler so no contest). Just strategically placed cameras to record us and hit us with. $100 fine :((

M

Bexhill-on-Sea
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando Driving - Toll Charges

When leaving Orlando International airport (using the main East/ West routes) you will have 2 tolls in fairly quick succession when driving Eastbound towards Orlando. They are $1 each and they still have cash only manned booths, so no problem.

If driving from Orlando to the Space Coast there are 4 tolls in total, with the most expensive being $1.25

St.Helens,United...
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando Driving - Toll Charges

From OIA there are two toll booths that take cash ( make sure you go in the cash only lane) one costs $1 and the other $1.25

ireland
Level Contributor
65 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando Driving - Toll Charges

Some responses to my query have indicated that there will be 2 toll charges of about $ 1 which can be paid in cash on the trip Orlando Airport to Universal Boulevard, however I have Google mapped the route and can see no pay booths especially when exiting at No 2 exit for Unv Blv so can someone clarify for me

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,858 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Orlando Driving - Toll Charges

I doubt Google Maps will show toll booths. What the previous posters said is correct ... still cash accepted and change given at the north exit from the airport. Do NOT depend on a sat nav. Ask the car rental agent for a map showing the roads in the vicinity of the airport and let the agent highlight the route out through those two toll booths.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 19:41
ireland
Level Contributor
65 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orlando Driving - Toll Charges

many thanks for clarifying the position I did not want to get a fine for non compliance

London
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orlando Driving - Toll Charges

We were in Orlando early Dec for a few days. We left the Rosen Plaza on I-Drive at 10am and was at the east coast cruise port 1 hr later. Its well signposted to either the cruise port or Cape Canaveral.

Took the 528 Beeline Express way, very straight road. 4 tolls in total which amounted to $4.25. I always have a small purse full of quarters and $1 bills for the toll roads. Of course cash is still taken, so when approaching the toll plaza stay at the right hand side where the cash tolls are. You are warned in good time how much the charge is. Get your money ready, be cool.......easy peasy.

Enjoy the Cape. We've stayed on Cocoa Beach a few years ago near to the pier. Good time had by all.

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orlando Driving - Toll Charges

Hi,

Same question, different time. It is now Nov. 2014 and I'm wondering if the toll technology is different?

We'll be renting a car from the Orlando airport, renting a property in Kissimmee, then driving to Disney Theme Parks and other attractions (Kennedy SSC). The rental car companies have an optional add-on: PlatePass® All-Inclusive Tolling, provided by American Traffic Solutions, Inc. This costs $9/day. The companies' justification for this is that there are now areas where the Tollways have converted to All Electronic Tolling and there is no option for a rental car to pay the tolls in cash. They offer PlatePass® as the perfect solution and then say the tollways are identified, but other than "Orlando", the tolls are not identified SO, at $9/day, this could be VERY expensive. I don't live in a place with toll roads. The handful of times I've been on in-city toll roads, the cost has been <$2.

Can anyone living in the area tell me if this is true or just a cash grab on the part of the rental companies? Any suggestions?

Thank you all!

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,846 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orlando Driving - Toll Charges

It a cash grab! Anywhere in Central Florida, you don't need it.

You will have some small tolls on the highway (528) to KSC but everything can be paid in cash.

Just remember two things:

1. Stay in the far RIGHT lane to pay in cash. Never go through the SunPass lane on the left.

2. Get (and save all ) receipts at the change & receipts lane (on the right side.