We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth going to Disney with a toddler (20 months old)?

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Worth going to Disney with a toddler (20 months old)?

Hi!

We will have a 7 or 8 days holiday in March or April 2014 (not sure yet which month). We haven't booked any vacation yet, but at the moment I am considering Walt Disney World, Orlando and surroundings. Me and my husband will be travelling with our 20-months old toddler.

We have once spent one day in WDW (just us adults) and enjoyed it, but it was a few years ago and I don't remember what the rides were like - is it worth going there with a toddler of that age, or should we wait until she is for example 4 years old? I mean how many rides are easy enough that we can take a 1-year-old? If we go, should we take 2 or 3 day tickets? Or is it too much..

And in the surroundings of Orlando, are there some nice small beach towns where you can drive in a few hours and which would have beautiful nature and/or something else to see? We would rent a car. So we could spend 3 or 4 days in Orlando and 4 days in coastal area.

OR is it better just to book a one-week all inclusive holiday with our toddler and take it very easy this year..? Those options would be for example Mauritius, Maldives, Aruba. What we would like to have is sun and warm weather, safe and clean surroundings. Long flights are not a problem but we don't have that many days to spend :(

pa
Level Contributor
54,413 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth going to Disney with a toddler (20 months old)?

Disney World is perfect for your little one, plenty for them to enjoy at all 4 Disney Parks, a 4 day ticket is only a few dollars more then a 3 day so you can take your time and enjoy each Park for a full day. There are some nice discounts right now for your travel dates. I would avoid April 13 - 26, Easter is the second busiest time of the year to visit

www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/themeparks.htm

I would then head to the Gulf Coast for a couple days, Clearwater is lovely, calm waters and smooth sand, very nice :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
267 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth going to Disney with a toddler (20 months old)?

I agree, Disney is very toddler-friendly! Many rides ("it's a small world" at Magic Kingdom is a prime example) are full of sights and sounds that delight youngsters. Many even enjoy meeting Mickey and friends. A four day ticket is probably best because you can take a full day for each park and go at a nice slow pace. Each park also has a baby care center where you can take her if you need to change, nurse, or feed her, or even just let her take a break from the hustle and bustle.

Another plus is that your daughter's ticket is free until she is three years old :-)

Dickson, Tennessee
Level Contributor
889 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth going to Disney with a toddler (20 months old)?

Definitely Go with the toddler. The little one may not remember much, if any, but Mom & Dad will make memories that are priceless. Great thing is you will not need a ticket for the baby! Look closely @ the Disney ticket prices and you will see that once you pay for the first couple of days, adding days gets pretty economical, so don't skimp on days just to save money on ticket prices. Enjoy the parks now while you can push them around in a stroller. Later, when they are walking & running good, you will be chasing them thru the parks.

london
Level Contributor
175 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth going to Disney with a toddler (20 months old)?

We had a similar should we/shouldn't we issue with our 3 year old and most of the TA advice seemed to be along the lines of go for it. They might not remember much of it but you will and you'll all have a great family holiday while you're there

Wheaton, Illinois
Level Contributor
131 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth going to Disney with a toddler (20 months old)?

I agree with the other replies regarding taking your daughter to DW. I took mine at 15 months and 26 months (and probably too many times since!). She enjoyed every ride she was allowed on - which is actually a lot of rides. If there are more thrilling rides that you want to go on, the Rider Switch passes work out great. If you don't have any already, get a couple of Disney story and/or activity books for the flight over. It might make her more excited when she actually sees Mickey and the other characters at the parks. The characters are really sweet with little ones if she's comfortable interacting with them. If your daughter can nap in the stroller okay, then that will make your days even easier.

We enjoy Clearwater Beach on the Gulf (west) side of FL and Delray or Palm Beach on the east side. Both areas are within a 3 hour drive from Orlando. I've found both areas to be family friendly with nice, soft sandy beaches.

New York
Level Contributor
261 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth going to Disney with a toddler (20 months old)?

I disagree with the previous posts. I think it's not worth it to take a toddler to WDW just yet. First of all, it will be very difficult for you - you need to walk a lot, eat unfamiliar food, carry your kid in you arms (after 2-3 hours she will refuse to sit in a stroller and it will be too difficult for her to walk on her own - the parks are huge!) Then, tired and unhappy, she will fall asleep in her stroller and you will be forced to sit somewhere with the stoller and wait for her to wake up. I have 2 kids (21 and 10). Their first time in WDW was when they were 4.5. Even at that age it was quite tiring for them and us. Just wait until your daughter is at least 4.

Second, there are no nice beaches in Orlando area, except if you want to travel to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. The best deal for you, coming all the long way from Europe, is nice all-inclusive resort in Caribbean. Aruba is very nice any time of year. I can recommend Riu Palace Aruba (high-rise resort and more expensive) or Tamarijn (low-rise, kids stay free and the location right on the beach (100 meters from the water) is unbeatable!

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worth going to Disney with a toddler (20 months old)?

We're taking our little girl in October and she'll be 23 months when we go. I know she's going to love it and the look on her face will be priceless. Disney makes it easy for you and its a safe environment.

Discovery cove is a lovely place to go to for the day, its like being on an all inclusive island for the day, much better than any beach, and you don't have to do the dolphin swim.

I couldn't imagine taking her on a beach holiday at the moment though, worrying about her running off into the water or getting lost, there's no way you could lay back and relax on the beach unless you strap her into a pushchair, and if she's anything like my little girl she won't stay in it!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worth going to Disney with a toddler (20 months old)?

I agree with TravelLoverWithKids. We waited until each child was 3-4 years old. There's so many tired, crying kids who don't know what's going on being hustled around by exhausted parents.

Clearwater Beach is a great family beach. No, you can't lay back and relax but where does that happen when a small child is awake? :-)

Personally, I would go with the all-inclusive plan and let your little one grow a bit before tackling the Disney parks.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worth going to Disney with a toddler (20 months old)?

It's perfect.. We took our then 10 month old little boy and although he may not remember it, he had a fab time and made some amazing memories to share and pictures. It's a relatively safe and easy place to be with a young family. we loved it so much we are going back in May and he will be just over 3 years old. don't listen to the people who tell you it's a bad idea and it will be hard, it's not. With plenty of planning it can be a great time. Take a buggy and plenty of snacks and it will be fine. You know your toddlers routine so will know when to rest etc.. It's very toddler friendly with lots of little rides for toddlers and the baby centres are good with food and milk etc (you do pay for it if you need it) I'd say go for it..

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,616 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worth going to Disney with a toddler (20 months old)?

Will you go back when your child is older? If definitely yes then go, if you're not sure, I would wait. We went in Dec. with a family group, so it was my first time there with little kids (there was a 1 year old, almost 3 year old and a 5 year old). They wouldn't have taken the 1 year old but wanted to take the older ones so off they went. The 5 year old had the best time out of all of them, of course. Almost every ride has something that made one of them cry though...lol

Kids have fun wherever their parents are, so go where you want to go and don't worry about it :)