We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in October

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cromwell, CT
Level Contributor
766 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend in October

Hi all!

My husband and I usually visit in May each year, but this year the bug has bitten us badly and we're tempted to try to come down for a long weekend the first weekend of October for my husband's birthday. Thinking perhaps Thurs, Fri & Sat with heading home on Sunday. How are the crowds that time of year? Also, are we risking a hell of a lot of money (for a weekend that could cost what a week normally does!!!) on a weekend that could be a weather disaster? (Not sure really how late hurricane season runs for...)

Thanks as always!!!!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
38,718 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in October

Crowds should be small, except for the local folks which always come out on the weekends, for the first weekend of October.

About weather, you could be chancing a tropical storm or hurricane as October is still very much in hurricane season (it technically goes until Nov. 30th). However, no one can predict if one will be coming or not, nor where it will hit, so take it for what its worth.

You're airfare will be the variable, I'd think. Hotels should be reasonably priced at that point.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in October

The Atlantic hurricane season is June 1-November 30 every year; the official peak of hurricane season is around September 10. Jeanne affected (power went out, but it wasn't a direct hit) Orlando the last weekend of September in 2004. Wilma had a lesser effect on Orlando in late October (a wet and windy morning and early after noon) last year. What are the chances of being affected by a hurricane that weekend? If you get one, 100%, if you don't, 0%. When Orlando was hit by Charlie in August 2004, it was the first direct hit in 44 years by a hurricane; who knows when the next one will be. Don't remember a November hurricane hitting the US in recent memory; but the way things are going, who knows?

Per Kat-Cubs-Fan, October is busier than it used to be as far as crowds are concerned, though still definitely better than summer. Columbus Day weekend is something to watch for, though that wouldn't be the first weekend in October.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in October

If Kat says its slow that weekend, I'll go with that.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
38,718 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in October

Maybe we need to know what you are considering the "first weekend" of October.

If you mean arriving Sept. 29th or so and staying until Oct 1st, then your crowds should be o.k. and fairly calm/small. This is the weekend I was referring to as the first weekend of October in my above post.

If, however, you are referring to arriving on Oct 5th and staying until Oct. 8th, that's another story. Crowds will be heavier because of the holiday weekend (Columbus Day) and also because many school systems are having their "fall break" beginning on Columbus Day, including all the ones near where I live. Everyone I know who has grade school kids is heading to Disney beginning Oct. 9th, so be sure you understand I was referring to the end of Sept/first of Oct. in my above post.

Cromwell, CT
Level Contributor
766 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend in October

Kats -

You've saved us yet again!!!!!!!!

Crieff, Scotland
Level Contributor
961 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend in October

Hi Kat,

So what date do the kids get their "fall break" and how long does it last? We are going last week in Sept and until 09 Oct to Orlando and then heading over to the coast so just wondering what days to avoid the parks

7. Re: Weekend in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 15:15