We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping?????

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
tipping?????

Hi everyone

I've been reading up on tipping in orlando. I understand that a good 15-20% tip is needed at restaurants. However I became confused when it came to the concierge. I know yhat you tip $2-5 if they get you a taxi but do you tip upon check in?

Any other helpful tips on tipping would be much appreciated.

Thanks

robyn

Portsmouth...
Level Contributor
781 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping?????

Best way to avoid all confusion on tipping is to not bother ;-)

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
10,000 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping?????

Oops...... Here we go again;-(

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping?????

Mike C, im not wanting to start an arguement just wanting to know about checking in? There is nothing in check in in the forum so a sincere question

Hampton, UK
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping?????

Maybe we should all start to ask the person who has served us how much we should be tipping them LOL.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
815 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping?????

I have never tipped on checking in, except in disney when a man drove us to our room and then carried our cases up a flight of stairs. They say $1 per bag.

If no one helps you, the no tip simples

County Galway...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping?????

the person checking you in you do not tip.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
10,000 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping?????

robynw, I wasn't aiming my comment at you, but tom's response;-);-)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping?????

Sorry Mike C. But I dont want to start an arguement. I just by passed Tom H comment because I always tip in the uk at restaurants and bars and wouldn't not tip.

Thanks everyone for the help. I wont tip on check in except for if we get help with the bags

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,968 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping?????

Tipping is not required on check in. they are fully paid, not reduced. The only place I have tipped on check in ever is in Las Vegas. For a high floor room. It is not normal nor expected in orlando.

I tip $2 for a taxi.

A concierge is something else, and you haven't mentioned one. They aren't the bellman who gets your taxi nor the front desk staff. They might book you a show or a restaurant and you can tip them if they provide a service to you. I don't tip if just asking for a map.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping?????

Robyn, you might not want to start an argument, but unfortunately, on this forum, any thread that has tipping in the title, will almost always descend into a massive slanging match