We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time family vacation to WDW....questions

Pottstown...
Level Contributor
110 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
First time family vacation to WDW....questions

Hello, I've used Trip Advisor many times in the past and it is a great source of information. I figured TA would be great for help with our Walt Disney World trip. We are planning a trip from Monday, Aug 4th and checking out Friday, Aug 8th for my 2 sons (ages 6 and 2), my wife and myself. We are driving down from Pennsylvania....leaving Sat. morning, stopping part way down and driving within an hour and stopping Sunday night. We wake up early Monday to go the last hour & check in. Not decided yet if we are staying at Pop Century or All Star Sports. I heard Pop Century is alittle more $ because it is slightly newer and has its own buses, while you have to share the buses at the All Star hotels. We plan the Animal Kingdom Monday, Magic Kingdom Tuesday, Hollywood Studios Wednesday and either Epcot or going back to a previous park Thursday. We have a character meal planned for every day. Chef Mickey's dinner Monday, Crystal Palace dinner Tuesday, Disney Jr Play & Dine at Hollywood & Vine for lunch Wednesday and Mickey's Backyard BBQ for dinner Thursday. We also plan on going to SeaWorld after checking out on Friday. Anyone have any suggestions on different things at Disney? I still have to check the parade schedule and get that lined up.

Magic Kingdom Park
Disney Parks & Activities, Theme Parks
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Epcot
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park
Water Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
pa
Level Contributor
54,497 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time family vacation to WDW....questions

Hi Scott, welcome to the Disney forum

On a short holiday, in the summer, I suggest not trying to over plan. Disney World is huge, you can never get round to everything in one go. What you have so far is great, knowing which Parks on which days and having your Restaurant choices picked out is a big first step. Have you already made your ADRs ( advanced dining reservations ) ?

Once in the Parks, pace yourselves.

As far as the Resort choice, Pop Century is our first choice, the bus service is a key factor plus the Resort is fun

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2793105

There should be a nice summer room discount, you can book now if you want, direct with Disney or an official Disney Agent, we use www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com and then Modify later to include the discount. Depending on your budget, you might even think of upgrading to a Moderate Resort, if the savings are good enough

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,977 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time family vacation to WDW....questions

Remember, Orlando in early August is going to be very hot, very humid, and it will likely rain at some point in the afternoon and/or evening every day of your visit with thunderstorms which could last 10 minutes or several hours. Come prepared and if you plan pool time, it might be better earlier in the afternoon rather than later due to the storm posibilities.

Pop Century is a great choice and the price is usually only around $5 per day more than All-Stars; the "only stop" busses and closer proximity to most Disney parks is certainly worth the extra.

Remember, the smallest crowds of the day are during the first 1.5 hours after opening, not to mention the coolest temps, so if you can, plan to be at the parks for opening time. Morning Extra Magic Hours are an even better idea if you can do them.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
8,259 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time family vacation to WDW....questions

Hands down pick Pop Century over All Star if available.

Parades are generally at 3 (other than the Main Street Electrical Parade and the Electrical Water Pageant which are held at night).

You are going to have a lot of character interaction at your meals, but if there are any "must meet" characters for your children, have a look to see where they might be appearing for a meet and greet since some characters are park specific. Also, have a look at the entertainment page on disneyworld.com for some other smaller shows ("streetsmosphere") that happen periodically during the day. Those can be some real gems!

4. Re: First time family vacation to WDW....questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 06:18