We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining plan...stay at moderate or value and upgrade?

Oklahoma City...
5 posts
Save Topic
Dining plan...stay at moderate or value and upgrade?

We are planning on going to Disney World the week of October 11-19. I know they are not currently offering the free dining plan, but if they do here is what I am trying to figure out. From what I have researched if you stay at a value resort you will get the quick service meal plan. If you stay at a moderate you will get the disney dining plan with one sit down meal a day. If we stayed at a value resort we would pay the difference to upgrade our plan to Disney Dining plan with 1 sit down since we will be doing several character meals. Would we be better off booking a moderate resort so we get the meal plan we want or still staying at a value and paying the difference? Anyone have experience with this?

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining plan...stay at moderate or value and upgrade?

Price the rooms of each WITHOUT the dining plan then compare to the upgrade price. Which is cheaper. Simple as that if it is merely an issue of cost.

Whether you are better off at a value or moderate is an entirely different conversation.

pa
Level Contributor
54,302 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining plan...stay at moderate or value and upgrade?

Welcome to the forum

There are several things to consider. Tell us about your family, who is going ? Adults ? Children and their ages ? Then there are the cost comparisons between getting a nice Room Discount ( which is more likely in October then Free Dining to be honest ) and the free dining with or with out an upgrade to a the regular plan staying at a Value Resort or upgrading to a Moderate and getting the regular plan

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
4,343 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining plan...stay at moderate or value and upgrade?

For us in the past it was around $100 dollars difference between the moderate with free dining and the value with paid upgrade. We've been choosing Coronado springs. We're a family of 2 adults 1 child. Book the value for now and when free dining comes you can modify your reservation how ever you like.

Oklahoma City...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining plan...stay at moderate or value and upgrade?

It will be my husband, son (will be 4 1/2), and I.... Possibility that my father in law would be joining us. If he does he will have a seperate room.

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,538 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining plan...stay at moderate or value and upgrade?

Here are some quick numbers for you. Both include standard view room and 9 day base tickets for 2 adults/1 child, October 11 - 19.

Pop Century Package - $2,112.85 (assume free Quick Service Plan)

Add difference between "quick service & regular" dining plans - $329.36

Total Pop Package: $2,442.21

Port Orleans Riverside - $2,765.45 (assume free Regular Dining Plan)

The question will become the "value" of the extra $323.24 you will spend to upgrade to a moderate resort. If budget permits, you will appreciate the added amenities of a moderate resort.

Happy planning!

6. Re: Dining plan...stay at moderate or value and upgrade?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2015, 05:20