We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to WDW and Universal Orlando

Sutter
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip to WDW and Universal Orlando

I am trying to find the best was to plan this vacation. There are six of us (my husband and I plus our kids 25, 18, 16 and 15). We want to spend six days at WDW and then 2-3 days at Universal. What suggestions to you have for me? (do you suggest 2 or 3 days for Univ?)

We are looking at staying at Art of Animation for the WDW portion. We have never been to Universal Orlando so not sure if we could do if while staying at AoA or need to change hotels. We really weren't planning on getting a car but we could if that is the best way to do both parks. Is if possible to get a bus or other public transport from AoA to Universal? Or it possible to get a rental car delivered to our hotel for the Universal portion of our trip?

The Disney part of the trip is a graduation trip for our daughter and the Universal portion I am planning as a surprise to my husband for his 50th bday as he has always wanted to go.

Thanks for any suggestions/help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to WDW and Universal Orlando

How fun!! Have never gone to universal but we go to Disney every year. I know some people opt to just stay at a disney hotel the whole trip even if they're going to universal and just take a taxi. You do get early access and front of the line pass if you stay at some of the universal hotels so that is one thing to consider.

Disney offers transportation to and from the airport (disney magical express)

I believe there are car rental places around disney world so you would be able to rent a car for a couple days easily.

You may want to check out disboards. You can get a lot of information there.

Happy planning!

pa
Level Contributor
54,372 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip to WDW and Universal Orlando

It s easy enough to stay at a Disney Resort the whole time and then get the Ticket and transport option for a visit to Universal www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/universal/ we have done this many times, very reliable, they pick you up at your Disney Resort

I would suggest 2 standard rooms at Pop Century instead of a Suite at AoA, it will be more comfy for a more grown up Family of six nod could be less $

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2793105

Not sure of your travel dates but there are discounts, that might be enough for you to kick it up a notch and stay at a Moderate, more room and lots more amenities. Will suggest Coronado Springs

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3023399

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip to WDW and Universal Orlando

6 days is a good amount to spend at WDW, and still not see everything. AoA is a good choice for large groups, the rooms look amazing (I haven't yet stayed there though).

I would recommend 3 days at Universal (2 at Islands of Adventure where Harry Potter is, 1 at Studios).

I DEFINITELY recommend staying onsite or near Universal. Its a good 20mins from WDW with no traffic, so the daily trip would be a pain. You can either hire a car (which we did, but then never used it while at Universal so a waste of money really) or just get a taxi or transfer from WDW to Universal. You can find some further information here: mousesavers.com/discounts-and-deals-at-other…

Edited: 16 February 2014, 01:58
Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,504 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip to WDW and Universal Orlando

Definitely 3 days at us/ioa. If you can, stay on site there at the 3 main hotels (portofino, royal pacific or hard rock), built in express pass is wonderful (it's the only way we do us/ioa).

Sutter
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip to WDW and Universal Orlando

Diagon Alley at Universal should be opening about the time we are there. I bet it will be very crowded. At lease Hogsmeade is at IOA so maybe the crowd will be spread out.

6. Re: Planning a trip to WDW and Universal Orlando

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 06:17