We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is This Neighborhood Safe?

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
773 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Is This Neighborhood Safe?

My in-laws are on their way to Orlando from Michigan and plan to stay in an older home in an older neighborhood where my father-in-law's parents lived from about the 1950s until the 1980s when they passed away. My in-laws would like my dh and I to come down and spend a few days with them there during the next week or two. We both have the time off of work and could go, but I am having some reservations about staying in that particular neighborhood. We stayed there for about a week twelve years ago and it was a little rough then, so I'm not sure how it would be now, especially with our car sitting there and advertising with our out of state plates that we are traveling. Please don't get me wrong, I love Orlando and realize that there are many, many safe, beautiful areas there, it's just that I'm not sure if it would be worth it to travel all that way and then not feel super safe.

The neighborhood I'm referring to is a couple of blocks east of the Lancaster Rd./Winegard Rd. intersection, not far from Lancaster and Orange Blossom Trail.

If there are any locals here who could advise us, I would really appreciate it. I am hoping you will tell me that I am just being silly and that that neighborhood, though pretty dated, is still very safe. I am concerned for my in-laws too, of course, but they don't mind the area and cannot be convinced that it might not be the safest part of town, even after a few locals have commented to them about it not being "the best part of town".

Edited: 23 February 2014, 21:15
Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
478 Reviews
from US$54.99*
Kennedy Space Center, Everglades...
190 Reviews
from US$128.99*
Crystal River Snorkeling, Everglades...
131 Reviews
from US$118.99*
Special Offer
Coca-Cola Orlando Eye, Madame...
17 Reviews
from US$51.99*
Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
9,001 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is This Neighborhood Safe?

One thing you can do is tour the area via Google Street View. They seem to have thorough coverage for the Orlando area.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is This Neighborhood Safe?

We used to live not too far from that area, and we have been out of the area long enough that my opinion should not be the final word. That being said, it is not the best area any more. I would definitely approach the area cautiously as far as staying there.

3. Re: Is This Neighborhood Safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 05:20
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question