We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a villa and paying in dollars

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
newcastle
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring a villa and paying in dollars

This really is a question for the Brits. We have only hired a villa from uk owners and paid in £'s, this time I have found a villa which I like and has lots of good reviews but it is an American owner and obviously the price is in $'s. That makes it a good price as the £ is good at the moment but we're not going until next August so that could all change.

How have people found it works out hiring and paying for a villa in dollars?

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a villa and paying in dollars

Just a thought jo, but don't forget the American owners usually add the tax on top of the advertised price, just make sure you have been quoted the full price. :-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a villa and paying in dollars

Jo sometimes they charge for cleaning - might be worth asking the question

As to the exchange rate well it's just a chance you have to take I suppose

There are hundreds of UK owned villas, could you not find one that suited

Hampton, UK
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a villa and paying in dollars

You could open a personal currency account if your bank still does this and then transfer the funds into dollars until the time to pay. But that is a lot of hassle for what you are doing.

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a villa and paying in dollars

We looked at several condos on VRBO and found that the tax and cleaning were almost always an extra. The cleaning is usually around $75/100 plus tax so that may be a consideration. When I contacted one of the US owners she suggested getting a money order from the bank to pay in USD.

Has the owner you want to rent from got a PayPal account? That would be one way of transferring the cash.

Regards,

Deaconblue

newcastle
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring a villa and paying in dollars

Thanks for advise, still looking at other villas but this one looks best for the price.

One thing I'm struggling with is the fact the master bedroom is downstairs and other bedrooms are upstairs, not sure I fancy not being on the same floor as the kids but also not sure I'd want them downstairs. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

6. Re: Hiring a villa and paying in dollars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 05:20