We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kennedy Space Centre

North east england
Level Contributor
735 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Kennedy Space Centre

I'm looking at the different ticket options for the KSC, I was considering doing one of the "extra tours" aswell as the general admission? Has anyone got experience of these?

The one that I was looking at was the:

KSC Up-Close Explore Tour and General Admission:

Led by a trained space expert, the KSC Up-Close Explore Tour includes views of launch pads, the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) and the Shuttle Landing Facility. The tour stops in between the Kennedy Space Center launch pads for a close-up photo opportunity, in front of the VAB, and on the NASA Causeway where guests experience a panoramic view of rocket launch sites at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.

The cost is $75.00 that includes admission? Is it worth paying the extra or do you get to see most things with your general admission ticket - I was thinking of something a bit extra as its my husbands birthday while we are in Orlando and KSC is the main place he wants to visit.....

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kennedy Space Centre

my only advise is make sure there is no launch on the day you plan to do a tour. if there is a launch on then they close the tours to certain areas

we watched a launch so skipped the tour but it is something i would of loved to do.

North east england
Level Contributor
735 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kennedy Space Centre

Thanks for that, I'll double check for a a launch.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kennedy Space Centre

The up-close tour that includes admission into the vehicle assembly building is no longer offered as of last Sunday. The VAB is being returned to operational use for the new SLS program, which will develop and launch rockets larger than the Saturn V to take astronauts to Mars, and security and space concerns have excluded tours. Some of the last tours did allow visitors to see SLS components like an Orion capsule, heat shield, and lander fairing that had already been delivered.

Instead, I would recommend the launch control room tour. Firing room 4 was used for many of the recent STS (space shuttle) launches, and is located adjacent to the VAB, so you'll also be able to see the exterior of the huge VAB structure from nearby. If you are short on time, you really see almost everything from the regular tour (the one included with admission) plus the firing room on the close-up tour, so there's no reason to take the regular tour after the close-up tour.

The $75 cost includes the $50 adult general admission plus the $25 special tour fee. If you already have your general admission ticket, contact KSC by telephone to add on a tour booking for $25 -- that modification can't be done on the website.

North east england
Level Contributor
735 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kennedy Space Centre

Thanks. That tour sounds good. I'll have a look into getting that booked.

Norfolk, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kennedy Space Centre

I'd definitely recommend going on one of the tours.

We did the up close tour and saw inside the VAB so it's a shame it's not available now

I'd also recommend dining with an astronaut. Good food, and a fascinating insight into their life. Had kids from 7-10 with us and they listened and asked questions.

North east england
Level Contributor
735 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kennedy Space Centre

The up close "explore" tour is still available. I have just booked for May .

7. Re: Kennedy Space Centre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 05:15