We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Well - its a trip report (kind of!)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
392 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Well - its a trip report (kind of!)

Feeling guilty having read so many reports and tips that helped us plan and that I'm finding it hard to write one!

Anyways a week back and memory is dimming so better start composing. Lashing rain outside so good excuse to go on PC.

Brilliant time - really to quote our US folk we heard in Orlando - it was truly awesome! Never been to US before so everything was new. Weather was great - loved it in fact - hot sunny mostly, some major downpours but it was all great and didn't stop a thing. We stayed at All Star Movies - great hotel, no frills but clean and I mean clean despite some reports we couldn't fault it. Disney buses were our main transport and they again were faultless. Brilliant service almost 100% of the time.

Parks - well I can't describe them. Each one great in a different way. Fav ride? Everest!! Lost track of the rides we took on it - each time a thrill! Loved Space Mt., Splash Mt. Thunder Mt. Test Track, Soarin (tho a bit over rated or maybe its just after 10 goes you get a little bored?), oooh Tower of Terror !!!!, the list is endless of the thrills of the many rides. The Magic? Disney has something special - that Christmassy feeling! Don't want to bore you all but Disney was just so -so - yep awesome is the only word!

Food? We ate like royalty almost everywhere. Did several character meals - Cinderellas Brekkie, Chef Mickey, Liberty Tavern - all super especially Chef Mickey. Wished we had done that again it was so good! Food and interaction great particulary there. California Grill has the freshest food going and Wishes as well! Unforgetable even for me! Think I must be forgetting a few but we didn't have complaints about food/service anywhere it was so good. Ooops nearly forgot - Raglan Road and Rose and Crown! Ok a bit homesick so visited these two several times and wow - the food and service and atmosphere great. Really enjoyed relaxing in both places for some reason!! Ate out several times around International Drive - loved Dennys in particular - friendly service and great food at amazingly low prices. Wished they set up here! Tipped well because they deserved every dollar!

Now enough about the nice things! Things that weren't so great:

Seaworld - not at all what I expected - Shamu a lovely creature but that show! (pools with sea creatures doing tricks = zoo to me), great food, good lay out of park and free beer. Met the rudest awful person there - told the kids at the Dolphin Pool that the dolphins hated "stupid tourists" like them!. My kid so upset after that. Wish someone would push her into a swim with the dolphins! International Drive? Had a different idea of what it would be like - found it somewhat tacky and so so sprawling! But abundant with great cheap eateries! Noisy Brazilian tour groups in Disney! Ah bit joking here - they were noisy but full of fun so could have been worse and we heard absolutely no noise in our hotel so thats when noise really mattered.

Disney Water Parks? Brilliant - much better than expected with something for us all. Rested well there several mornings, plenty of sun lounges, shade, etc. Kid loved the slides and fun - lifeguards there, especially at TL, so helpful and kind. Loved Shark Reef - yep it was awesome! Combined with the Theme Parks the Water Parks gave us such a break and relaxation. Don't miss them!

Disney buses brilliant also. They must recruit the kindest most helpful drivers I every came across. A huge asset to the hotels, these drivers were just wonderful - buses were more than adequate, rarely more than minutes waiting, meant we needed no car hire thankfully. Used Lynx 50 to Int drive, changing to 8 outside Seaworld, ticket valid for 90 minutes so it only cost 1.50 to travel in. Disney monorail? Again used this several times - and yep, the drivers wonderful and welcomed passengers, especially children, into the front with them! What a memory!

Also bit disappointing not to find the friendliness we expected. We found people civil and mannerly but not exactly friendly overall though there were several exceptions thankfully! Some seemed very wooden and rehearsed, especially in some shops. We did meet some very friendly people though, especially our servers in Dennys so seemed more lively! We watched a small amount of tv and found it so strange to compare news coverage of major international importance to what we viewed there and what we see here! Mmmmm - don't want to bring in politics at all but lets just say - awesome difference in what we receive in our various medias!

Hope I didn't offend anyone because I really didn't intend to - just wanted to give you my honest report. All in all - an amazing time, pure fantasy (oh the Fantasmic Show and Illuminations were beyond brilliant), a real two weeks of unreality, escapism, can't put right words on it! Settled well back really surprising - really had a great time, not sure yet about returning or what lies in the future yet.

Well its written so here goes!!LOL!! Thanks for reading my rambles!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,383 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Well - its a trip report (kind of!)

Great report. The details you gave will definitely help out future visitors and are appreciated.

I'm sorry you didn't find too many friendly folks. Maybe the heat and crowds of summer just make it almost impossible for workers to stay friendly all the time.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Well - its a trip report (kind of!)

Hi Limericklady, what a great report, I'm glad mine wasn't the longest, lol!! Now you mention the tv, the funniest thing I saw one day was when I was queuing for my free drink at the hotel one evening there was an advert for pet steps! A set of pink furry steps so that your little dog can get up to the bed, sofa, back of the car, etc easily!! Honestly I was standing there watching with my mouth wide open, unbelievable!!

Actually we met a not so friendly disney bus driver one day. We had been waiting ages for the bus to get to Downtown Disney to meet up with 48 and Polly (can't remember if I told you guys) at one of the resorts, can't remember which. The first one came up full, but loads of people got off. The driver then said only 4 on. I ignored him and walked on since there was still loads of room. He chucked me off!! I said there's loads of room and he barked at me, Well I'm driving the bus ma'am and I'm asking you to get off, so I slunk off sheepishly. Hubby and son were cringing with embarrassment, lol!!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
678 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Well - its a trip report (kind of!)

Limerick, What a great report, sounds very much like our first trip 10 years ago, we couldn't see or do enought, lol, thats why we keep going back, and every time is different....

So glad you had an amazing trip... 48

Glasgow
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Well - its a trip report (kind of!)

How did you get free beer @ Seaworld !?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
412 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Well - its a trip report (kind of!)

you get the free beers 2 per visit at the hospitality centre nxt to the stables just down from shamu stadium there is a good selection of beers to choose from.

cheers

Haggis

Manchester N.H.
Level Contributor
11,462 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Well - its a trip report (kind of!)

Hi Limerick,

I'm so glad you had a good time in the U.S. I agree that the Disney thing is a wonderful escape from reality. I've never been in the summer months, and I hope the unfriendliness you experienced was due to the heat. That person at Seaworld was just a jerk. No other word for it. Kudos to you for riding space mountain. My first time was a "screamer".

In spite of the amt. of time you spent, I'm sure the days flew by in a flash.They always do! The tough part is the "reality adjustment" when you come home, but so menay good memories and stories to tell eh??

Thanks for writing,,Nancy

England
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Well - its a trip report (kind of!)

What a great report. It was so interesting to read it from the perspective of someone who's there for the first time. Some of the things you noticed are spot-on - particularly about the TV. If I'm on holiday I don't want to know but my hubby gets really frustrated by the lack of 'world-wide' news.

I would love to experience the parks/restaurants/culture all again with fresh eyes - it really is indescribable isn't it? And no wonder so many people go there for the trip of a lifetime and end up going back again..and again.

One thing I would say about the friendliness is that, having travelled to a number of places in the states, Orlando isn't necessarily typical. Would our US friends agree or not?

London, England
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Well - its a trip report (kind of!)

Haggis, we were at Seaworld having our free beer, went up for our second. As we were walking back outside we walked past a guy showing some people about different flavoured shots of some kind. We stopped to listen out of interest and see what they were. I made the mistake of asking a question about one of them and he promptly opened up a bottle of raspberry something or other and poured it straight into my Bud! I was mortified, but thankfully the old man came to the rescue and swapped it for his. What a martyr bless him. Yuk!!

England
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Well - its a trip report (kind of!)

OH no Carla, YUK! Can't stand lager and lime so lager and strawberry eeeuuh!! We used to find a way to get as many free samples as poss in Seaworld/Bush Gardens. a) Take it in turns to go, b) Go to a different line i.e. different beer c) Wait until a shift change and do it again. Well, all this park business is thirsty work.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Well - its a trip report (kind of!)

D'you know what Nibbles, I didn't even realise you could have 2, we thought we were being cheeky going to the other server for our second. If I'd known...