We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown Disney or Liki Tiki Village

Norway
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown Disney or Liki Tiki Village

Hi!

So, the decision is now made to go to MK Sunday April 27th. So we are looking at a two night stay in the area. We are planning to get in in the afternoon so we can enjoy the Saturday evening as well.

I am a bit torn between staying DTD or at a resort with a great pool area (kids are 3 and 6 and love pools)

What I have found at good prices are the Holiday Inn Lake Buena Vista, which I guess is walkable from DTD. I have also looked at Liki Tiki Village, and thought that we could spend the evening in the hotel waterpark and then wouldn’t need anything else nearby.

Lake Buena Vista Resort Village and Spa is also an option with a good pool area.

I have discovered that resort fees are a common thing… When I get a good deal at Hotels.com, it says “taxes and fees included”, but is the resort fee really included? I got a feeling I will have to pay that at the hotel…. Would the resort fee per person or per room?

Also, I see they have check-in at 4pm and checkout at 10am. Is this normal in Orlando? (I’m kind of used to 2 and 12…)

Do any of you experienced people out there have opinions on these hotels? Or do you have other suggestions in the 130-140$ a night range?

Thanks for reading :-)

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,432 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown Disney or Liki Tiki Village

Where applicable resort fees would be per room.

If looking for stuff to do the night before there seems a lot of sense in choosing the DTD hotel. The DTD hotels also have pretty good shuttles to the parks so could save the $15 parking fee. I would want a car for sure at the other two.

If the pool has water a 3 and 6 year old should be happy! Wouldn't worry about that too much for just a quick afternoon swim.

Those check in/out times are pretty common. If they have rooms available they should check you in early. And, you are welcome to ask for a late check out - 11, 12, 1 - they don't have to say yes but good chance they will.

Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,536 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown Disney or Liki Tiki Village

Those are standard check in and check out times-never heard of 2pm and 12 pmin the US.I would pick the Holiday Inn DTD over the Liki Tiki Village which has a nice pool area but wouldn't be a place we'd stay-not many advantages. Holiday Inn will charge you a daily resort fee and parking too. You might want to check out the Doubletree Guest Suites DTD,STaybridge Suites LBV and the Buena Vista Palace DTD.Are you renting a car?That will open up the area you rent in a lot more

pa
Level Contributor
54,408 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown Disney or Liki Tiki Village

What kind of prices are you getting on hotels.com ? How "good" is Good, If I may ask

And have you compared rates at a Disney Resort ? Since you plan to go to the Magic Kingdom :)

Norway
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown Disney or Liki Tiki Village

Thanks for your replies :-)

Yes we have a car, so we are not really dependent on the shuttle. Although, it might be easy if it is available, and save us the parking money.

I can get both Holiday Inn DTD and Liki Tiki at 140 a night included taxes and fees (though I suspect the resort fee has to be paid separately.)

The only Disney hotel I can find anywhere near that range is Pop Century Resort at about 170 included taxes. And to be honest it doesn’t look very appealing… Seems a bit old and worn from the website, but I really wouldn’t know. Anyone staid there?

Other than the Disney Theme and the shuttle, what are the advantages in staying at a Disney hotel? I feel I would be paying more just to stay in a basic hotel with a Disney Theme…

There are a lot of other cheaper hotel options offsite, especially by the airport, so I’m kind of having a discussion with myself on what kind of money I want to use :-)

Crown Plaza Universal is at $ 120…

I just like the thought of either being able to walk to downtown at night, or having some waterslides and stuff at the hotel so we can stay there all afternoon.

Norway
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown Disney or Liki Tiki Village

Disfan, I checked your other options as well, especially the Buena Vista Palace is interesting, but prices are better at the Holiday Inn

Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,536 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown Disney or Liki Tiki Village

The Holiday Inn DTD is fine-it used to be a Courtyard and has a fairly large pool. If you stay there,make sure to join their loyalty program first,often gets you an upgraded room

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
7,698 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown Disney or Liki Tiki Village

For such a short stay and what you want I wouldn't spend the extra money to stay at a Disney hotel. The benefits to Disney other than theme and shuttle are:

Magical Express - shuttle from the airport to hotel and back free of charge (not applicable to you if you have a car)

Extra magic hours at the parks - 11PM to 1AM at MK that day - would your children be awake that late?

Ability to reserve your FastPass+ 60 days in advance - doubtful this alone would be worth the extra money

Pop Century is fine - but it is just a basic hotel with an in your face Disney theme.

I wouldn't stay over at Universal if Disney is your focus. You'd have to deal with weekend traffic on the highway and you will use extra gas. This is where I would spend the extra money to be in DTD or one of the other local hotels.

Norway
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown Disney or Liki Tiki Village

Great explanation 928! Thanks :-)

We will definitely not be in the park at 11pm :-)

And thanks for the loyalty program tip disfan. I think that's where we'll end up..

Letchworth...
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown Disney or Liki Tiki Village

We stayed at the Holiday Inn DTD in November/December last year. It was a 5 minute walk to DTD, heated pool, really nice rooms, amazing breakfast and free shuttles to all Disney parks. I've never stayed at Liki Tiki but I know that end of 192 very well. It'd probably be a better resort for kids but there isn't much going on outside. Over all I'd defiantly look to DTD.

Norway
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Downtown Disney or Liki Tiki Village

Thanks Hitch, thats really helpful :-)