We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz Car Hire in Orlando

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hertz Car Hire in Orlando

I want to warn other people about car hire from Hertz in Orlando as I had a particularly bad experience with them recently. I booked and paid £451.12 in the UK for an economy car to be collected at Orlando International Airport. The car was described as a Kia Rio or similar which would take 4 passengers and 2 small suitcases. I was travelling alone with one suitcase so that was fine for me.

When I arrived at the airport I was told that they didn't have that car available but could either provide a Smart car which takes 2 people but no suitcases or I could upgrade at a cost of $12 per day. I refused. What then followed was 1.5 hours of what could only be described as bullying. The agent would look at his computer and tell me that another car had gone while I was standing there after a 9 hour flight feeling more and more exhausted. During that time the agent reduced the upgrade cost from $12/day to $10/day to $8/day and eventually $5/day. This might not sound a lot but I had already paid £450 and this car was being hired for 27 days. Eventually out of deperation I agreed to the $5/day but told the agent that I was not satisfied and would not leave the matter there.

I was given instructions and paperwork to locate the 'car'. After going over to the garage I found that the 'car' was a huge people carrier. Further down the garage was a nice, little Mazda 2 which would have suited me. I went all the way back to the terminal building, told the agent in no uncertain terms that I was not prepared to take a people carrier, and demanded that he locate the car that I had agreed to. I did also say that I would be very happy with the Mazda 2 but was told it had been reserved. Wasn't that what I had done in booking and paying for an economy car before I left the UK? Anyway, after another 30-45 minutes I eventually managed to leave the airport. I landed mid-afternoon but by the time I left it was completely dark outside!

I was left very upset by the whole experience but a couple of days later when I had time to calm down again I read the terms and conditions of hire online. Hertz state that they cannot guarantee that the car booked will be available (not sure why when it is booked so far in advance) but if it isn't available, another car will be provided that is equivalent (a Smart car isn't equivalent) and if that isn't possible then an upgrade will be provided at NO EXTRA CHARGE! I think that is clear enough and wish I had included that mountain of paperwork with me.

I contacted Hertz by email and after a 10-day wait they replied saying that they couldn't deal with the matter while the car was still on-hire. When I returned the car to the airport at the end of my stay, I complained again. After 30 minutes of expressing my disgust with Hertz who are, after all, supposed to be a reputable company, the agent told me that she would look into the matter and email the following day. She did that, told me that having viewed the tape of my hire experience, I had been kept waiting a long time and she would refund the extra hire charge. What she didn't do was adjust the tax charged and so I still ended up paying more than I should have.

There was another incident at the same time that I was arguing with the agent at the start of the hire. The agent next to me was dealing with an elderly gentleman and she was telling him about paying for gas up front. I think she had been trained to sprout this information very quickly!!! The gentleman asked her to repeat what she had said at which point she turned to the agent dealing with me and said, "what is so difficult to understand about that?" I was appalled!

I can't believe that my experience was an isolated incident and I think that it is time that car hire companies in holiday destinations who continue to bully people, that they know are tired after a long flight, should be named and shamed!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,121 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hertz Car Hire in Orlando

Sorry you had such a bad experience with Hertz.

They usually have a good reputation, but I guess even the best of companies can have poor service at times.

Meath
Level Contributor
2 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hertz Car Hire in Orlando

Had a very bad experience with Hertz in Orlando over last 2 weeks. arrived my upgrade car was not avaialble, giving me a 2 door car for a family . Pushing extra insurances on you. Then issue with full fuel tank policy, they charged me over $60 for full tank which i left back full and they dispute it wasnt. Could not go out and out $3 in put up to brim. Very unhappy with hertz and would not recommend them

Level Contributor
120 posts
359 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hertz Car Hire in Orlando

Always use them acoross US and every year at MCO. Never had a problem. With the footfall at these rental counters you are always going to have some csat issues

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,999 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hertz Car Hire in Orlando

hightower....It's very unusual to get a 2-door car. What make was it?

If they had to go out and put $3 worth of gas in the tank- they do charge a premium, like every other car company. Return your next car not full with another company and you'll be charged about the same amount.

Hertz is at the top of the rental car list.

Level Contributor
515 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hertz Car Hire in Orlando

I was going to use hertz for my 2weeks in September. Now I may rethink and use Alamo or dollar. Trouble is with everything there's good and bad reviews.

Ugh,would everyone agree that Alamo are a good reputable company. Picking it up from Sanford.

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hertz Car Hire in Orlando

I wouldn't go to the bother of cancelling with Hertz. Every car hire company can have bad reviews, a lot of the time its down to people not reading what they are signing for properly then blaming the car hire company.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,999 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hertz Car Hire in Orlando

Scott....Don't cancel your Hertz reservation because of this thread. That would be totally silly.

Hertz is premium, Alamo is discount.

Level Contributor
515 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hertz Car Hire in Orlando

I haven't made a reservation yet. I will still use hertz I think.

Thanks all

Carterton, United...
Level Contributor
368 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hertz Car Hire in Orlando

Were hiring a people with them im a few weeks. Booked it ages ago hope we don't have the same issues!.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,346 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hertz Car Hire in Orlando

As is usual only negative comments about hertz on this post

Hertz are a reputable company and can't be judged by a couple of complaints

We rented with hertz when the volcanic ash debacle cut our holiday short by a week

Hertz customer service was excellent they couldn't have been more accommodating

Don't let a couple of negative posts put you off renting with them