We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How different is the driving?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chesterfield
Level Contributor
110 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How different is the driving?

Hi

We are a group of 11 (3 families) travelling in June, we had already booked a 15 seater mini bus for the whole party, however I was a bit concerned about this as I would not drive this mysef and so it meant I was a bit restricted, there are a few little shops I want to visit when the kids are asleep with their dad in the room I can just nip to. So I have booked another little car for us to use, I'm 27 and quite a confident driver, how hard is it getting used to the driving over there? Obviously the biggest difference is the opposite side, does that get confusing or is it quick to pick up? any advice would be appreciated x

Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How different is the driving?

From all the advice I've read on here, it's meant to easy to pick up. I certainly hope so as it'll be our first time driving too! Someone posted a link to this handbook previously and I saved it, looks quite useful.

flhsmv.gov/handbooks/EnglishDriverHandbook.p…

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,934 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How different is the driving?

It's really easy actually, all cars are automatic, roads are WIDE, and relatively straight , well signposted to attractions, shopping, parking a. 15 seater in Florida is easy compared to here, make sure you drive in and reverse out , no reversing into parking bays, you can turn right on a red light after coming to a stop, if permitted just relax, you can hire sat navs on eBay for £14 for holidays, enjoy your trip... I'll be there in May......

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,351 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How different is the driving?

Tourist Orlando has mostly been built since 1970, and everything was laid out for the convenience of cars and full-sized pickups, which are quite large.

Signage mostly doesn't follow European standards, but signage, road stripes, and so forth are abundant. In that respect, there's been nothing like the British and Dutch efforts to reduce sign clutter and perhaps get rid of some of the paint on the road.

Lately, some work has been done to remedy the northern end of International Drive, the oldest part, near the outlet mall. New traffic lanes, signals, signs.

Hornchurch, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: How different is the driving?

its easy!! as a single mum with 2 children aged 11 and 13 i was VERY nervous about driving the first time and id never driven an automatic nor on the other side of the road

1st its so easy

2nd there are NO roundabouts so you can't get confused

3 when turning left i got in the habit of saying FARRRRRRRRRR left out loud and would know by the time i finished saying FAR it was time to turn left….. i know it sounds mad but it worked for me

4 the roads are HUGE!

we are on our 4th trip there in july for a month and can't wait, our favourite place on the planet and my kids are now 18 and 15

Hampton, UK
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How different is the driving?

Just remember with an automatic if in drive and you take your foot off the break it will move forwards without any accelerator.

I've driven on French roads including the manic area of Paris and it's fine. If you can drive a little out of busy times at first that will help you get used to being on the other side of the road. I'm sure y will be fine.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
665 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How different is the driving?

Having driven around Chesterfield a couple of times Kelly I can tell you that driving around Florida is much easier!!

It only takes a few miles to get used to driving on the wrong side, it's actually quite surprising how quickly the brain adapts to it. The same can be said about how quick it adapts back when you get back to the UK.

Don't worry about it, I'm sure if you're a confident driver you'll get used to it in no time and will probably enjoy the experience.

chesterfield
Level Contributor
110 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How different is the driving?

Thank you everyone! Some great replies here

Ha ha we do have a lot of manic roundabouts in chesterfield x

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How different is the driving?

Suzi D, there are some roundabouts appearing now, the problem with them is that the Americans don't know how to drive round them, even seen a sheriff going the wrong way round one :-)

Not trying to scare you Kelly, it really is easy to drive over there, so much easier than here.

Niagara Region
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How different is the driving?

I lived in the UK years ago, never even sat in the drivers seat of a car! It's terrifying even as a passenger. If you can drive in the UK, you can drive anywhere. Signage tends to be to your upper right, not usually painted on the road like you're used to but you'll pick it up quick, I'm sure!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
665 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How different is the driving?

Floridashirls got me thinking now.....I think I've only ever come across 2 roundabouts in Florida, one is at the Lake Buena Vista Factory Stores and the other one is at the Clearwater Beach end of the Memorial Highway. Are there many others?