We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando--- Cocoa Beach & International Drive

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
9 posts
Save Topic
Orlando--- Cocoa Beach & International Drive

Am travelling to Orlando in May. What kind of clothes should I carry? I mean, will it be hot or a lil nippy?

What is Cocoa Beach like? worth a visit?

International Drive---- attractions? n shopping at the premium outlets there.... worth it?

Souveniers to buy?

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,081 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando--- Cocoa Beach & International Drive

There might be a cool evening early in May. Otherwise, the month is hot. This page provides links to annual weather graphs for locations in central Florida (the links are at the top left):

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mlb/?n=climate_graphs

This one is for Orlando International Airport for 2013.

www.srh.noaa.gov/mlb/?n=cligraph_kmco_2013

We have a monsoon-type climate with cool, dry winter and hot, wet, humid summer. The average time of arrival of the wet season for Orlando is May 24.

The two Premium outlet malls on International Drive (one at the north, the other at the south) are worth visiting. So is the Florida Mall, a large shopping center, and (to some extent) the more upscale Mall at Millenia.

Cocoa Beach is not an impressive town, but on weekends, it is popular with visitors from Orlando and the cruise port (Port Canaveral) helps attract visitors from farther away. The Kennedy Space Center is a major employer in the area, so Cocoa Beach tends to be a town of well-educated people. It is also a center of interest in surfing, so there are several "real" surf shops (and lots more places selling t-shirts) and a statue of local surfer Kelly Slater, who astonishingly is still on the professional world tour at age 42.

encyclopediaofsurfing.com/entries/slater-kel…

So, for Cocoa Beach, there's a choice of several hotels and many smaller places to stay, a nice beach, but the town itself is not charming (there's excellent photos from Google Maps Street View and Bing Maps is even better for spying on hotel swimming pools).

One of the nicer souvenirs is an Atlantic deer cowrie shell, Macrocypraea cervus. But I've picked them up from the beach only after a severe hurricane. If you can afford them, Spanish silver coins from shipwrecks (especially the 1715 treasure fleet disaster near Sebastian Inlet) make fine souvenirs.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/cowries/cervus.htm

In May, the Atlantic beaches have strong sea breezes in the afternoon. This keeps things comfortable, but not everyone likes the wind.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,533 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando--- Cocoa Beach & International Drive

May will be pretty warm (80 degrees most days) but I always advise people to bring some type of light cover up sweater or long sleeved shirt as the restaurants are sometimes pretty chilly and after you are sunburnt they will feel cold. Otherwise shorts, t-shirts and flip flops are the norm for daywear. Casual clothes for evening wear unless you are going to a really fine dining restaurant then you may want something dressier.

Cocoa Beach is pretty much a surfer / beach town. Not a lot of shopping, altho Cocoa Village is interesting and has some cute shops, decent restaurants and is in a historical area. Nearby Port Canaveral also has some good waterfront restaurants but no beachside hotels with the exception of Ron Jons Cape Caribe resort which is not right on the beach.

I-drive has lots of outlets, touristy shops and restaurants. I personally don't care for outlet shopping but many visitors to Orlando seem to love it. I like to go to the regular malls and shop the sales racks instead. Florida Mall and Millineum Mall (near the outlets) are the 2 larger malls in Orlando.

Do some research on this forum and the Cocoa Beach forum. You might also look at Clearwater Beach on the gulf coast which if you are doing an overnight might work better for you. If you plan on theme parks there is also a Disney World forum with great info about the parks.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,457 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando--- Cocoa Beach & International Drive

I would agree with the mall thing. I rather like being able to find a parking space rather than making myself miserable driving aroung the parking lot at the tourist places.

I also agree with the Cocoa Village too. They do have some cool places over there.

4. Re: Orlando--- Cocoa Beach & International Drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 06:18