We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discovery cove sun lotion

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Discovery cove sun lotion

There are a few posts on this, but back in 2012, what is the current situation, it seems like a great opportunity for them to say you have to have this stuff, here is a tiny sample, a bottle costs $X...

So:

Still unlimited samples?

Is it possible to buy the right stuff in a local shop?

We have a toddler so mum will use lots!

(When I went diving in the barrier reef, we had a marine biologist along making sure we did not break/kill anything, when asked about sun cream he said, it did not matter, the bugs in the water would have it off in seconds anyway.)

Ta

Chris

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Discovery cove sun lotion

We were told by a staff member at Discovery Cove to use any suntan lotion we wanted as it didn't affect the animals. On the website it states that you have to use theirs, but could just be a sales thing???

I used my own last year as the Panama one they supply is really thick and gets everywhere.

New York
Level Contributor
461 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discovery cove sun lotion

We went last year to Discovery cove and used our own lotion before we entered and while there. They gave us a free sample, but it was good for one application each. I think it is just a marketing thing. No one stopped us from using our own lotion.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Discovery cove sun lotion

I wouldn't listen to these two posts, just presuming its a sales pitch? I highly doubt it, risk harming animals welfare because your worried about spending a few dollars? I used to own lots of aquariums so I know how sensitive fish are too chemicals/differences in the water and would follow Discovery Cove's recommendations. Im sure they will give you more for your toddler.

When you went diving you were in a huge body of water compared to basically a giant tank which is filtered every minute, just follow sea-worlds guidance. You paid a huge amount to be there is $5.00 really that much more if necessary?

Johnstone
Level Contributor
562 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discovery cove sun lotion

I've been to Discovery Cove 3 times and i always assumed under no circumstances could you use your own suntan lotion if you where either swimming with the dolphins or swimming in the lagoon with the sting rays & fish , the posts on this about being allowed to use your own lotion have came as a surprise to me ?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Discovery cove sun lotion

Discovery Cove will not charge for the lotion. When I get my kit bag, which includes a sachet, I always ask for a few more and have never had any problems getting it. They would rather you be safe and the animals be safe. Also, DC buy the lotion in huge bulk (talking 6 figures) which costs them a few cents each

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,631 posts
1,876 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Discovery cove sun lotion

You can obtain as much of the Panama samples that you want and they are widely available in the park.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Discovery cove sun lotion

So all good - I will get it from them.

Still surprised they have missed the opportunity, why buy gallons of the stuff when I am sure they could easily structure a deal they could get the samples for free (or better) and sell big bottles.

Guess I am just a cynic.

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Discovery cove sun lotion

I like the Panama Jack lotion they have at DC. It was around $6 for a bottle if I remember correctly. And I preferred to use it over a regular lotion because I burn to a crisp and this stuff was great! And it is fine when you're in the reef.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Discovery cove sun lotion

@chris probably the reason I said, if they charged you would get idiots refusing to pay for it bringing their own sun tan lotion in. I doubt it would harm the dolphins but the fish/rays I can imagine some of the chemicals affecting them. They are basically massive fish tanks, go to a fish tank and put some suntan lotion in you will probably see the fish dead within a day. So purely for the safety of the fish.

10. Re: Discovery cove sun lotion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 04:28