We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining at Hollywood Studios

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Dining at Hollywood Studios

Hi there,

We have a dinner reservation at the Sci Fi Dine In Restaurant for Saturday May 10. After reading many forum posts, most people agree that the food at HS is very average. Should we book a lunch time reservation at the 50s diner or just have some quick counter service snacks? If we have 2 dining reservations I feel like this might be too much time spent at restaurants, but I also want to have a yummy lunch and am a bit scared to not make a reservation after seeing some of the forum posts!

Thanks!

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,095 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining at Hollywood Studios

Counter Service serves "real food", not just snacks. You'll find many options in the park. We enjoy 50's, however you may not want two seated meals.

Happy planning!

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
16,962 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining at Hollywood Studios

Hollywood Studios doesn't have such great food choices. For lunch we usually have a big Mickey pretzel and a cup of cheese for dipping. We tried 50s prime time once, didn't like the food at all, wasn't really fun, won't go back. I would like to try the sci fi dine in, I would keep that reservation. And yes two dining reservations in one day is too much (for us anyway) :)

Tellico Plains...
Level Contributor
626 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining at Hollywood Studios

I would have breakfast before I got there or top in at Starring Roles Café. For lunch I would do a quick counter service turkey leg or they have nice places for a sandwich. I would book dinner outside the park if I was going to do table service. I could snack at HS all day or have a quick bite from counter service BUT there is no where in that Park that I worthy of table service. This is just my opinion.

Manchester N.H.
Level Contributor
10,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining at Hollywood Studios

Hiya Maddymads~~~~~I'm just suggesting here,but have you had a look at the Brown Derby? The atmosphere is crazy cool,and makes you feel as if you're on the old Hollywood of the 1930s/40s. It's a 2 credit dinner,but it's great fun,and very unique. No need to dress up as it's Disney after all,but the vibe is total Hollywood glam.It's just a blast to eat in there IMHO. They serve their famous Pink grapefuit cake for dessert,which is to die for.

When I visit,I always try to get a table for dinner,and I do counter service during the afternoon. Happy planning!

allears.net/dining/location/brown-derby

Edited: 08 March 2014, 00:53
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining at Hollywood Studios

Since no one has posted it, you can look here to see all of the menu items and prices at DHS restaurants:

http://allears.net/dining/menu

Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining at Hollywood Studios

So many great suggestions and responses... Thank you so much everyone!!

Indiana
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining at Hollywood Studios

Depends on what you're looking for in a theme park restaurant. Sci-fi is my favorite restaurant, anywhere. The theme and atmosphere is, in my opinion, as good as it gets.

All Disney theme park restaurants have a limited menu. 6-8 choices are about all you're going to get. I've had the pasta (not bad), Picnic Burger (wow) and the Turkey Sandwich (very good). The milk shakes are great too. But it's the atmosphere that does it for me. I love it. June will be out 5th lunch at Sci-fi.

50's Prime Time has dishes like pot roast and meatloaf, but if you happen to get a dud server, the "family member" effect is lost. Mama Melrose is pretty good. I enjoyed the place and the food was good. Hollywood and Vine is a buffet and Brown Derby is classy. Nothing beats sitting in a car at a drive-in, at night, under the stars and watching b-movie reels drinking a milk shake. It's awesome.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining at Hollywood Studios

50s prime time is our favourite.... We've never booked though, just generally turned up and waited.... The seating areas nice and gives you a chance to rest up. The longest wait was 45 minutes.....

Don't particularly tend to plan set meal times so far in advance.... We just decide on the day, where we fancy eating.... It's no big deal.

The only restaurant I've ever booked is bb kings, and that was booked a couple of days in advance -

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,095 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dining at Hollywood Studios

ppmaiden: How many in your party and when do you travel? You seem to have excellent luck getting into seated venues. We've waited at Prime Time over an hour, with a reservation made 180 days in advance.

For most, especially during high season, walk-ups are not accepted. We've seen many families begging for tables and always being turned away. Wouldn't dream of risking it. Way too much stress on vacation.

If you want to dine at a seated venue at Disney, make an ADR.

Manchester N.H.
Level Contributor
10,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dining at Hollywood Studios

Hiya Travelfan~~~~~I've done short waits at Prime time as well. It was Jan,and I was always by myself,or with my sister. we always had lots of laughs in there.Last time I was in,I colored a pic of our waitress,and she put it up on the fridge. She was the BEST! ;+)))

This being said tho,it's always a gamble,but it pays to ask.

Edited: 08 March 2014, 18:16