We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - trying to decide best accommodation option as a first

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield
5 posts
Save Topic
Help - trying to decide best accommodation option as a first

Hi. My husband and I and 2 kids (4&11) looking to visit in April 2015 for first time. We were thinking of staying self catering and wondered if anyone had any recommendations. I've been looking at Vista Cay off International Drive as we'd like to be able to walk to restaurants and shops, whereas Villas seem more remote and require a car, which we plan to hire but be nice not to have to use it every day.

Which Disney hotels have balconies/verandahs as if decide to go for Disney hotel, would prefer one with opp to use outside space.

Could you give me advice on I-trolley - does this go to Disney parks and how frequent does this run?

Parking - are there any car parks near the theme parks that are cheap; looks like its $20/day at mo to park at Disney/universal.

So many factors to consider, it's mind blowing

Thanks

Sarah

pa
Level Contributor
53,716 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - trying to decide best accommodation option as a first

Hi Sarah, if you stayed at a Disney Resort, you wouldn't need a car, unless you really wanted one, Disney provides free transport to all the Disney Parks as well as from and back to the Airport ( MCO ) If you decided to rent a car, there is no Parking charge for Disney Resort Guests, at the Resorts or the Parks, a nice Perk in addition to all the other Resort Guests

All the Disney Deluxe Resorts and Deluxe Resort Villas have Balconies. Our favorites include but of course are not limited to

Wilderness lodge and Villas

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201827

The Boardwalk Inn and Villas

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3124393

Animal Kingdom Lodge and Villas

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3158918

What are your exact dates April 2015 ?

manchester
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - trying to decide best accommodation option as a first

Hi the I trolley doesn't go to Disney, the Lynx bus does though if you decide on International drive.

The parking is only at the parks ,they are really big areas Disney is 47sqm so not really feasible to park further away, and cost $15 a day but within the park groups you only pay once a day just keep your parking ticket.

If you stay at a Disney resort though parking is free at their parks and you don't need to use the car as all the transport is free.

Edited: 09 March 2014, 04:39
Sheffield
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - trying to decide best accommodation option as a first

Hi, we are looking at 2nd April for 2 wks. We know it will be busy around Easter but my son is starting secondary school in September and has Sat's in May so we can't go in the school hols as i cant tag ano wk on as school cant confirm which wks the tests will be and i want to avoid the summer hols due to the heat and rainy season. Can't go sept/oct as he will have just started at his new school.

Thanks

Sheffield
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - trying to decide best accommodation option as a first

Thanks.

We like to hire a car to explore a bit, thought it would be handy on our rest days!! Not that I can imagine you get much rest in Orlando, and I get a bit stir crazy if I can't get out and about!

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
12,643 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - trying to decide best accommodation option as a first

Hi, as you are not going until 2015 and have plenty of time to plan, I would get the Brits Guide to Orlando. It is an excellent book and full of information from landing at the airport to going home again. I would definitely hire a car even if you do decide to stay on-site in a Disney hotel as it will give you so much more freedom.

Edited: 09 March 2014, 09:10
yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,560 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help - trying to decide best accommodation option as a first

Hi Sarah, If your hiring a car then I would definitely look at hotels on I drive instead of staying at disney... Save yourself a bunch of cash that will pay for park tickets... It's easy to get about to all the parks and shopping malls with a car. Parking at any disney park is $15 except for either of the two water parks, which are blizzard beach and typhoon lagoon and parking is also free at downtown disney.... Parking at the universal parks is $16.

Or why if you're going for a couple of weeks, why not split your stay between I drive and a disney hotel - best of both worlds

Happy planning!

dublin
Level Contributor
106 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help - trying to decide best accommodation option as a first

Hi Sarah , we always stay at the Vista Cay and you would really need a car , its a good walk to international drive where you will find lots of restaurants , there is not much at the vista cay , there is a publix and a Walgreens close by .

Put the vista cay into Google maps and do a street view you will get an idea of whats there .

This is the first year we rented an apartment direct from the owner through VRBO and got a great deal on it .

Sheffield
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help - trying to decide best accommodation option as a first

Thanks for the info. I wondered if u happen to know if you can hire fridges in the Disney value hotels. Looking at brochure and info online looks like these aren't in the All Stars and Arts of Animation hotels but are in the Port Orleans and Carribbean Beach.

Think we at getting there.. My husband is sick to death of me going on and on about it all!!

Sarah

pa
Level Contributor
53,716 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help - trying to decide best accommodation option as a first

All Disney Resorts have a fridge

10. Re: Help - trying to decide best accommodation option as a first

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 04:20