We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney World Vs. Atlantis

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Disney World Vs. Atlantis

Hi All!

So my boyfriend is taking me on a trip this summer for my college graduation present--yay! originally, we were going to go to Atlantis. I was super stoked, but then I started to investigate the resort and I found a fair number of negative reviews about how they nickle and dime you over every little thing(20 dollars for wifi--what?! 15 for a mini fridge! 7 for water--I can't even.) BUT it seemed like the activities would be amazing. We did the math of the trip by looking into the Coral Towers.

I started looking into Disney World and saw that it seemed to be a bit more inclusive. We'd be spending about the same(if we went, we'd do a savanna view room in the animal kingdom lodge and regardless of where we go, we have about 3500 to spend) but it seemed like there were cheaper food options, the plane tickets were cheaper, we wouldn't have to pay for transportation etc etc. We also did the math accounting for Park Hopper tickets and then the addition for water parks.I found much better reviews on Disney, so I started to lean that way, but now I'm not sure again.

All of that being said, we are both 21, he has been to both places, Atlantis more than once, and I have been to neither. Last time he went to Disney he was about 12, and he was around the same age both times he went to Atlantis as well.

What do you all think? I'd love some outsider's opinions!

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
4,343 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney World Vs. Atlantis

We have been to Atlantis twice and Disney 8 times. They are completely different experiences. I would choose Disney for all the reasons you just listed. Food at Atlantis is going to run you up to 3X the price of Disney food. You have chosen a great resort we just stayed at AKL, if you're looking to save there are many great cheaper choices. Have you considered doing a Disney Dream cruise to the Bahamas you can get a bit of everything.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,322 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney World Vs. Atlantis

We've done both and love both (we were just in disney this past Dec. and will go to Atlantis again in June). You can eat cheaply at Atlantis very easily. I can't really tell you which one to pick, because we love them both. So whichever one you choose this time, go to the other next time...lol The first time we went to Atlantis I said it actually reminded me of Disney in the way that it's so clean, organized, music playing when you're walking around, etc. Both will be very crowded in the summer, of course. Summer discounts aren't out quite yet for the Disney hotels, maybe by the end of March/beginning of April, so then you can get a better idea of price.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney World Vs. Atlantis

What kind of vacation are you looking for? Atlantis will probably be a more laid back vacation. I spent my days there reading in the sun, occasionally hopping on a slide, more than a few laps around the rapids. In the evenings or when it rained I explored the Dig and the architecture of the hotel. It was a very relaxing vacation. I didn't find the food to be too expensive, but I ate quick service lunches in the water park and just did burgers or Johnny Rockets for dinner.

Disney is much more active and planning intensive. You will need to book FastPass+, dining reservations, etc in advance and it will be a lot of walking and exploring the parks. It could be a very go-go-go vacation depending on length of visit and itinerary.

I worked at Disney for a couple months in between graduating college up until 5 days before I started my full time career and I enjoyed playing around and visiting the parks before joining the "real world." Now that I have been in the real world for a while, sometimes a lay in the sun and do nothing vacation is what I want. You will have a wonderful time no matter which place you choose. I think you need to decide what kind of vacation pace you want and you will have your answer.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney World Vs. Atlantis

Thank you all!! So many wonderful thoughts! My boyfriend is footing the bill for this one(yay college grad presents!), so he for sure wants to do something that has a lot of different activity options as far as day-time fun is concerned. I just found out comfort suits is much cheaper than atlantis BUT you get all of atlantis for free since they are so close! We may have found our vacation, but I'm still not sure. hahaha, total first world problem, so I can't complain! As soon as I think I've made up my mind, I learn something new and change it again-such is the curse of being female I suppose :)

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney World Vs. Atlantis

I have only been to the Atlantis on a cruise, but I have looked at packages several times trying to make decisions on Caribbean destinations. The package prices that I found were some of the worst values in the Caribbean IMHO.

A Disney vacation and the Caribbean are going to be night and day, so I would decide which you prefer. If you go to the Caribbean and want something fairly Americanized with lots to do, I would look at Aruba or Cozumel. From my experiences, you will find much nicer locals in both places too.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,865 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney World Vs. Atlantis

I lived in the bahamas (Nassau in fact) for years and I did like it there. But never been tempted to sample Atlantis. In fact I used to live the other side (bayside) of Paradise island from where they built it.

AS for Caribbean, the bahamas isn't really. but I do love Antigua and Barbados.

Manchester N.H.
Level Contributor
11,701 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney World Vs. Atlantis

Hiya Smitty~~~~~I've been to both places,and it's true that they're different experiences. Disney is more of a go go go vacation. I have stayed on Paradise Island,and "visited" Atlantis. Atlantis is "funny' expensive,but there are other options on the beach. Have a look at RIU,which is right next door,and all inclusive. Probably a bit more than comfort suites,but you can get a beach view. The suites are fine,I'm sure,but they're across the street from the beach. (I know what's no big whoop to some peeps,but I just thought I'd let you know). ;+))

Edited: 10 March 2014, 16:37
Orlando
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney World Vs. Atlantis

Sorry Amanx,

I didn't mean any offense either. I just had the opinion that most of the people on the two islands when I visited just didn't give a give a damn.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,322 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney World Vs. Atlantis

I don't know about the people on the island, but everyone we encountered at the airport and atlantis and a couple of restaurants/shops nearby were absolutely friendly/helpful, lovely people :)

Redondo Beach...
Level Contributor
74 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney World Vs. Atlantis

We have been to Disney World 6 times, and Paradise Island twice. We stayed at the Comfort Suites on our second visit. These are two entirely different vacations, sun, fun, and relaxation versus amusement parks. We love Disney as there are many different activities, but it is busy. We enjoyed the Comfort Suites on Paradise Island. They had a nice breakfast out by the pool and the beach is close. It is family friendly. We would rather spend our money on activities than an expensive

hotel room. Bottom line, what do you want to do on vacation?