We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gas price ripoff

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
28 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Gas price ripoff

Recently, needed to refuel before turning car in at MCO. We pulled into the SUNCOAST ENRGYS and they were charging $5.95 a gallon. Across the street the gas was #3.95. This gas station is taking advantage of rental returns so...next time we'll go across the street. Others at the pump in same situation were shocked at the gouging.

Mentioned in this post
Va
Level Contributor
11,722 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gas price ripoff

Didn't you see the price before you started pumping?

Boxborough...
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gas price ripoff

This has been discussed many times here, as well as being featured on/in various Orlando media. On your next trip, if you take 528 to the airport, instead of heading south on 436 go north. Within a mile or two you'll come across several stations at "normal" prices.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Bolton, Canada
Level Contributor
450 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gas price ripoff

Anyone that has travelled anywhere before should realize that gas prices can be higher around a airport. Those that simply do not check the price before pumping, well sorry but thats your stupidity.

Do you buy clothes/tickets/ Stop and stay at a hotel without checking the price first?

Johnstone
Level Contributor
562 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gas price ripoff

Gas price rip off we're the same here in the UK I'm duel fuel with my electricity and it still costs a fortune , same at the petrol stations it's £1.26 for a litre of petrol and £1.32 for diesel 😝

Hampton, UK
Level Contributor
4,248 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gas price ripoff

Bobby the UK the difference between unleaded and diesel is nothing to do with rip off pricing. There are wholesale pricing and refining issues that have caused the diesel price to become higher than unleaded. It's partly supply and demand, as more people have switched to diesel the demand hence has risen and basic rule of economics makes the price rise.

If you had said prices on motorways being higher then you'd have had a point, but the one you made, sorry.

Johnstone
Level Contributor
562 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gas price ripoff

lineandalan agree 100% I think your point about the motorway price fix is a far better argument than mine it's just so frustrating when you know you're being ripped off and no one seems to give a flying 🙏

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
29,246 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gas price ripoff

You never fill up at a gas station near a airport you will get ripped off everytime.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,270 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gas price ripoff

I'm sorry you got caught by this. Unfortunately the station across the street is almost as bad. Those places have been giving Orlando a bad name for years. The city tried to do something about it but the most they got were those incomprehensable price signs.

The only good news is that they're building a Wawa convenience store right around there somewhere. I think it'll be on one of the adjasent corners. Wawa is a national chain with a great reputation and there's no way they'd charge those insane prices.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gas price ripoff

The WaWa is open and charges the market rate, on Semoran just two blocks north of the Suncoast and Sungas stations that are noted for high prices.

There are other reasonably-priced stations east and west of there and a couple around the south entrance to the airport. See www.gasbuddy.com to find a convenient location.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,270 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gas price ripoff

One interesting point about GasBuddy is that they suppress most of the high prices. I've entered prices for both of the stations talked about here as well as at least one similar one down near Disney and had the prices either not show up or evaporate after a minute. So, you can check them for price listings that are in line with normal pricing but some stations might not have prices listed because they're insanely high. I know they're aware of the high-price stations because one of their folks told me so. I guess they just don't want to give Orlando to much of a bad name.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL