We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vitamins in hold luggage

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Vitamins in hold luggage

Hi,

I am travelling to Orlando in May and was wondering if anyone had any advice about vitamins. I take 5 different supplements and had planned to put these in a pill box to last 14 days and then put in my hold luggage.

Can I do this, or am I likely to get questioned?

Many thanks in advance...

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,457 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vitamins in hold luggage

I would look for specific advice on the web site of your version of the TSA.

I would think it would be much easier to have sealed, unopened bottles.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,313 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vitamins in hold luggage

I have taken 2 weeks plus of supplements in my hand luggage in clear plastic bags and marked with a felt marker what they were - sometimes just abbreviated like "multi" for multivitamin. Never been questioned about them.

I don't want to run the risk of them being delayed or lost hence the hand luggage.

Edited: 17 March 2014, 17:21
Falkirk, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vitamins in hold luggage

If in doubt, you can buy just about any sort of vitamin or supplement at Publix, Walmart, Target, Vitamin World, etc. I always stock up when I arrive and bring plenty home with me. Top of the list is Melatonin which helps to restore my sleep patterns after the shock of jet lag; you can't buy it over the counter in the UK. At this point someone will probably post a warning that there must be a good reason why you can't buy it at home but I've researched it carefully and it hasn't done me any harm over the course of 20 years travel!

Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vitamins in hold luggage

Does it work Disneyveteran? I loathe jet lag!

Falkirk, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vitamins in hold luggage

It seems to work for me. I don't just take it for jet lag; I take it a couple of times a week because I'm a poor sleeper. I don't feel groggy in the morning like I do if I take a sleeping tablet. It's a 'natural' product which our bodies make anyway and it's even alleged to reduce signs of ageing. I've just got back in touch with one of my school teachers and sent him some family photos - he says I haven't changed in 22 years so perhaps there's something in it!

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vitamins in hold luggage

The teacher actually means you looked 22 years older than you should have back then, lol ;-)

Falkirk, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vitamins in hold luggage

Ah...I didn't think of that. I'm doing a Benjamin Button...I'll be a toddler before too long!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,825 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vitamins in hold luggage

"At this point someone will probably post a warning that there must be a good reason why you can't buy it at home but I've researched it carefully and it hasn't done me any harm over the course of 20 years travel!"

I won't say that, but I will say they are restricted in britain because they can cause problems with those who take certain Seratonin re uptake inhibitor drugs.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vitamins in hold luggage

Does anyone know the official answer for the poster? My daughter is recovering from illness, and although off the prescribed drugs she does take specific vitamin supplements which we were intending to take with us!

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,407 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vitamins in hold luggage

Put it in your carry-on. Then you can keep track of essentials,with no worry about delayed or lost luggage. Carry your prescriptions with you, and if any liquid, be prepared for scrutiny when leaving U.S.