We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should i book my trip with a travel agent or book it myself?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
belfast
8 posts
Save Topic
should i book my trip with a travel agent or book it myself?

hi, i am planning a holiday to disneyworld orlando for may'15 (2 weeks). 3 adults and 2 kids, i dont know weather to book it through a travel agent or just book it myself online. i would like to rent a villa in one of the nearby communities ( possibly emerald island). A travel agent may be a bit more expensive?? but i least i will know its done right, what if i booked it myself and done something wrong!

we holiday every year in europe and i always book it myself but this holiday is a lot further away!

any advise would be great,

scotland
Level Contributor
341 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: should i book my trip with a travel agent or book it myself?

Do it Anita and book your flights asap. I researched for a last July (for this Sept) with Travel agents and online. TA's couldn't come close to what I could get my flights for (£520 each Inc seats, from Glw to Orlando). Booked one hotel direct and the other through Travel Republic. Saved about £180pp and flights have now increased to £800 each. As long as you have good travel insurance and have it before you book anything. Honestly the savings paid for our park ticks :-)

Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: should i book my trip with a travel agent or book it myself?

If you're used to booking yourself in Europe then it'll be no different. We have always found booking ourselves to be cheaper than a travel agent and we have more control over the days we fly. It will be easier to select your villa too, often TA packages have villas which are allocated on arrival. Personally I prefer to pick my own villa. I would say go for it and start looking now to get an idea of prices.

scotland
Level Contributor
341 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: should i book my trip with a travel agent or book it myself?

Also if u are on Fb, there is a page called It's Orlando Time. They are all really helpful and loads are villa owners with lots of repeat visitors on it. Any other questions, just ask. Good luck:-)

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,436 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: should i book my trip with a travel agent or book it myself?

I would book it yourselves. We always do and have never had any problems.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: should i book my trip with a travel agent or book it myself?

Agree with all the above, book it yourself and save a goodly few quid. I always do.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: should i book my trip with a travel agent or book it myself?

We booked ours for this May through an agent as we have never booked a 'big' holiday before (short European breaks only!) the main reasons we did it that way is because we only had to submit a small deposit to book the holiday which mean we had until 13 weeks before we fly to pay off the remaining balance and it removed the hassle of booking it ourselves and potentially missing something important that we had to book.

Having said that, had we done it ourselves, it would have been cheaper. For flights, hotel, 14 day park tickets (universal & disney) and car hire with fully inclusive insurance for 2 of us, it cost just under £3000 for 2 weeks. Whilst I know this isn't cheap, at time of booking we simply could not have afforded to pay it off then and there and the agency route gave us the best option to allow us to book, then extra time to save the money to pay it off - which we managed to do over the course of 4/5 months.

If you have the money to book or pay now do it yourself. Ultimately it works out cheaper as there are no agency fees e.g. Our disney park tickets cost £341 each through the agency but on the disney website they are £279! Imagine how annoyed I was at that marked up price!!

Agencies take away the stress of worrying that you're missing anything, but they are certainly not the cheapest!!

belfast
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: should i book my trip with a travel agent or book it myself?

Thanks for the advise everyone, it really did help, I agree that it would be cheaper to book it myself so I'm gonna be brave and book it that way. :-)

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: should i book my trip with a travel agent or book it myself?

Do it yourself.. We are traveling in April from Dublin and have booked a villa. The prices were so decent. 9 nights costs about jut over £600. Just make sure you have insurance ... Buy bits at a time and then you have one to pay it off... It's great fun looking into everything...

Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: should i book my trip with a travel agent or book it myself?

I have booked through a travel agent 3 times and every time they booked something wrong. I always try to do it myself.

Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: should i book my trip with a travel agent or book it myself?

Agree with booking yourself, it can save you quite a few quid and it is fun to do, gets the blood going a bit when you find your perfect villa, book your flights or get your park tickets through the post, I found the only thing you really have to pay up front is the flights, the ticket company we bought from only required a 10% deposit, car hire was the same 10%, villa was a deposit with the rest being paid 8 weeks before we go, 8 1/2 weeks now till we go and counting down the days, I am sure if you have any queries, questions or need that little bit of advice there is more than enough experienced, kind folks on here that will only be to happy to help, I know they have helped me with anything I have asked, our trip is our families first time going to Florida, between my wife and myself we have sorted everything out and enjoyed every minute of it, go for it you won't regret it.