We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which would you do?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
489 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
which would you do?

Hi arriving in orlando for 2 or 3 days, then driving to Gulf Coast and flying home from there. Have a 6 year old girl who has never been to US or IA

Looking for ideas or opinions on which scenario to go with...hope this makes sense. Both cost nearly identical and money IS a factor. Thanks for reading.

1) arrive around 4pm day 1.stay in cheap priceline hotel first night. Next day early am check out then collect express passes at Royal Pacific that we use for two days w our one night stay. Visit parks using 2 day park to park ticket and two days of express passes. At end of second day, drive 3 hours to our gulf coast location.

Or option 2]

arrive day one at same time but check into a value priced hotel for 3 nights and use the 3 day base ticket, visiting IA only one day [she is too short for FJ]. At end of third day drive to gulf coast.

Interestingly, both scenarios cost almost identical. One involves the hassle of checking out of 1st night hotel super early, then checking out of royal pacific and having them hold our stuff all day...but breezing thru lines on crowd level 7 days. The second plan involves only checking out at the end and having an extra day at US.

Keep in mind these are predicted crowd levels of 6.8 to 7.2. Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which would you do?

Sorry for the double post

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,090 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which would you do?

Question: in scenario #2, are you planning to purchase Express Passes for the days you'll be visiting Universal Orlando or just winging it in stand-by lines?

With crowd levels of those sizes, I'd really want to have Express Passes either free for staying at Royal Pacific or purchased if staying off site. If option #2 doesn't involve buying Express Passes, go for option #1.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which would you do?

How many are in your party...just you and daughter or more family? If it's just the 2 of you and money is a factor...you could check the price of Express Passes for your days. It might work out cheaper to stay at a nice less expensive hotel and buy passes than staying at one of the Universal Resorts. I'd suggest doing a price comparison with that scenario as well.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
220 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which would you do?

I would go for option one. It'll be a small hassle checking out/checking in but once you've done it you're on site so if you're tired in the afternoon back to the hotel for a swim in their fab pool then back out for some evening fun.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which would you do?

In scenario two we would not be getting express passes because the cost for the 3of us for 2 days is crazy for us. We would just wing it in the stand by lines but then we could afford a 3rd cheap hotel night and a third day at the park.

Also, the other adult going is Florida resident and can get the Royal Pacific for $199.00, but with taxes and parking really is about $250.00.

I am really only considering RP because of the 6 year old. If it was just adults I wing the standby lines and formulate a good tour plan, doing without express passes. I guess Im just wondereing how "bad" a crowd level of 7 is at Universal. I know at Disney its pretty ugly, but crowd level scoring goes on a curve and Universal attendance is less overall than Mk, so is a 7 at Unversal more like a 4 or 5 at MK or is that just wishfull thinking on my part?

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,866 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which would you do?

Hi cmargo, when are you going? Someone priced out the new hotel there, Cabana Bay (which does not include express pass) with buying the express pass, depending on the price of the pass and number of people, maybe it would be cheaper, take a look. The new Harry Potter stuff will be opening (they say summer, no exact dates yet), so that will contribute to crowds :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which would you do?

Hi Princess. We are looking at the one night at RP on june 5th. That is the last night to get the Florida resident rate. So if we did it then, our two park days would be the 5th and 6th of june. We cant come any sooner because we are already pulling her out of school early due to this horrible winter and we based this trip on the regular school calendar and didnt plan for snow days! I hate being on such a tight schedule to get to Orlando.

I actually called US today about Cabana Bay. It looks fantastic! But, only the suites are open then and the main pool. Tower rooms will still be under construction and no lazy river till June 16th! Plus no free express passes, so even with a great rate of $109 a nite for a family suite, Im passing on that. It does look like it is going to be really terrific when done.

Im leaning more an more toward taking the one night at RP so we can get express passes. If we have that we should get it all done in only two days, especially since she is too short for FJ. That will save alot of time.

Plus even on the second day after we are checked out, we can still go back to the RP pool for a little swim or snooze on the loungers. We will have a car to store our stuff.

Seems like everyone is saying do what it takes to get the express passes if its the same price.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,866 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which would you do?

I think that's best then, we only do us/ioa staying on site (going to hard rock hotel in Sept.). Even in Sept. when it's quieter we love having the express pass :)

texas
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which would you do?

#1...Also because I think like so many people now, this weather has been so snowy for so much of the country, that there will be many people there already. Plus I believe you get as many times as you want with staying there, as compared to only one time on each ride with the express pass. We went for first time inJuly when our youngest was 6. She did fine, but it would have been nice to stay on site and get line pass all day long, even if it meant one less day

Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which would you do?

After having the express passes once, it really spoils you. Have you checked to see if the nightly rate goes down per night at the RP if putting in 3 nights. Usually they have a discount for 3,5, and 7 nights. Not sure it would work with the resident discount though.