We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando itinerary

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Erlangen, Germany
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando itinerary

Hi, it might sound like the most asked and jaded question, but I"ll still risk asking it. I am traveling to Orlando in July with my wife and 2 kids 5 and 12. We will reach on a Monday afternoon and would like to start back latest on Sunday morning, so in all 5 and a half day. We are planning to cover both Disney and Universal - 3.5 days in Disney and 2 days in Universal. In Disney which park do you suggest is worth half a day (since there are 4 parks and we have 3.5 days)?

Is it worth spending 2 full days in Universal or we should give more time to Disney?

All of us are averse to any high speed thrill ride and will stay away from them. Roller coasters are strict no. This is our first trip to Disney. All our plans are still open and no bookings are done. Any suggestions are welcome.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,695 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando itinerary

Well you're coming all that way, is it possible to make it 6 days? This way one full day for each of the 6 parks (4 Disney, 2 Universal)? If not you could do the 1 1/2 days at universal/islands of adventure(make sure you get a park to park ticket so you can go back and forth between the two on the same day, the Hogwarts Express train may be open for your visit so you'll need that ticket because the train goes between the two parks) and 4 days at Disney. Crowds will be high in July in all the parks so you will need the time :)

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando itinerary

If you are not big on caosters and thrill rides, I am not sure you will need to spend much time at all at Islands of Adventure at Universal. I agree with princess41 that if you are coming all the way from Europe you should try to spend more time in Orlando, and barring that, you should spend at least one day at each of the 4 Disney parks.

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,474 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando itinerary

If you're adverse to high speed & thrill rides, you can cover Universal & IOA in one day. Spend 4.5 days at Disney. One day in each park and an extra half day at Magic Kingom or Epcot.

Happy planning!

East Greenbush, New...
Level Contributor
533 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando itinerary

If you are not into thrill rides, I agree with the above post, no need to spend much time at IoA so I guess I'd do 1 day at Universal, 1/2 day at IoA and 1 day at each of the 4 Disney Parks.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,695 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando itinerary

I don't do the big rides at us/ioa and I would still need at least a day for each park, we actually spend parts of 5-6 days there) again especially in july, it will be very crowded (especially with the new Harry Potter area opening) and you will need the time...

Erlangen, Germany
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orlando itinerary

Thank you very much for your responses. Since we have some other plans in the US too, unfortunately we can't afford more than a week in Orlando (including flight days). Based on your inputs here's what I am planning:

We will fly from New York to Orlando on a Monday morning. Spend Monday afternoon in island of

adventure and cover the following - Harry potter, Spider-man, Jurassic park and anything else we can cover if possible. Tuesday in universal studios. Tuesday night we move to Disney. Next 4 days in each of the Disney park and fly back on Sunday

In Disney I am planning to book pop century resort to stay economical. I have read good reviews. Any suggestions for 2 night stays for universal? Holiday Inn and Homewood Suites sound good options to me.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,695 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orlando itinerary

Sounds good, can you stay on site in one of the 3 universal hotels (royal pacific, hard rock, portofino), all are nice, you can go with the cheapest. You will get include express pass, which will be invaluable in July :)

Erlangen, Germany
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orlando itinerary

Thanks princess41 for your suggestion. Do you know if I check in on Monday and checkout on Tuesday, do I get an express pass for only Monday? Or only Tuesday? Or both days?

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,695 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orlando itinerary

For a one night stay you get two full days of express pass. Check in as early as you can, even if the room isn't ready, they'll hold your luggage and you can get your express passes and go right to the parks :)

Erlangen, Germany
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orlando itinerary

Thanks a lot. One more question. If i check out of a universal hotel in the morning, can i keep my luggage in the hotel till late in the evening? Do they charge anything for this service? Of course all hotels provide this service but still wanted to make sure as i beleive many people would like to use this service there.

Secondly i have managed to have almost 6 days now. Arriving Monday 07th July night and leaving by Sunday evening flight at 07:50 pm. Am divided between 2 options - first, spend only one day in Universal both parks on Tuesday and have 4 days plus most of 5th day (on Sunday) in Disney. Second option - spend first 4 days in Disney and Saturday and most of Sunday in Universal. Second option will also be more expensive as i am not getting a universal hotel on Saturday so i have to buy 2 day park to park ticket with express option and stay in a nearby hotel.

As i said before i intend to use only a few rides in IOA as we are not keen on roller coasters. But wondering if will be able to cover both parks main attractions (minus all high thrill motion rides) in 1 day in July (I will be having express pass).

Any further inputs are most welcome.