We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking bags on rides at Universal parks?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
155 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Taking bags on rides at Universal parks?

Hi everyone, I am hoping to get some information from those who have been to the Universal parks before. I read on a blog that bags are not allowed on rides, unlike Disney, where they allow you to bring your item / stow it in front of you. The blog said that Universal will provide a locker to store your bag for the ride only. The blog writer had a backpack, however. He also mentioned that the locker storage get a little time consuming / troublesome.

I am wondering if all bags / cameras / hats / sunglasses / other loose items must be locked in a locker, or do they allow smaller bags? I am planning to bring a small crossbody bag, which is about the size of a women's long wallet but it has a strap. It holds the essentials and I would really prefer to keep this with me while on the rides. Has anyone brought a small bag on the rides? Would they ask for my small items to be stowed in a locker too, like if I brought my phone only, or my sunglasses? Thank you.

Level Contributor
69 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking bags on rides at Universal parks?

I was there last July and you were not allowed on any big rides with anything. Not even sunglasses!! Saw lockers but did not use them as hubby doesnt do rides.locker areas didnt look too busy.

Hope that helps

Level Contributor
69 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking bags on rides at Universal parks?

I was there last July and you were not allowed on any big rides with anything. Not even sunglasses!! Saw lockers but did not use them as hubby doesnt do rides.locker areas didnt look too busy.

Hope that helps

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,616 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking bags on rides at Universal parks?

It's only a few rides in each park (not all of them). The lockers are free, yes, we had absolutely no problem with them. Some people report using a small bag like you describe and hiding it under their shirt. As for loose items, be aware that on certain rides (Hulk for one) stuff can come flying out of your pockets. It's for safety they want you to use the lockers for stuff like that :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking bags on rides at Universal parks?

It's only on some of the rides you can't take anything on, like the coasters, FJ, MIB etc. The ones you can't take take stuff onto, they are quite strict, and you will need to put everything into a locker. They are free and can be a bit fiddly as they are finger scan operated, and I always seem to have problems using them, but there are attendants on hand to help with any problems

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
155 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking bags on rides at Universal parks?

Hi nicnarch, thanks for your response. I hope that when I go at least one of the party will not want to go on the rides so they can hold my stuff.. :) you are lucky! Haha. Not even sunglasses?? I plan to hold on to them though... at least with one hand, not like just shoved in my pockets.

Hi princess, thanks for your reply. Very helpful to know that it's only for some rides, probably the fast ones with a height requirement. I will try hiding it under my shirt... heh. Laughed so hard when I read that. Thanks again for your info. Open to seeing any other responses as well :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
155 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking bags on rides at Universal parks?

Hi tinkerbell, thanks so much. Yes, I really wanted to avoid the lockers but if they're mandatory and strict I guess there's no way around it. Hope someone will hold my stuff while I ride! Haha.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking bags on rides at Universal parks?

Get you DH to wear cargo pants!& fill the pockets with all your stuff, that's what I do!! lol No bag to worry about.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
7,709 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking bags on rides at Universal parks?

If you really don't want to use the lockers find someone with zipper pockets or someone to stay behind. They were super strict in February and ejected a few people that tried to sneak things under their shirts. I was amazed what the Harry Potter folks were spotting on people!

It's a safety issue. A flying cell phone off the Hulk could give someone a nasty bump on the head.

England
Level Contributor
84 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking bags on rides at Universal parks?

what if you had a bumbag (fannypack)!! do not like that word ...lol arround waist under baggy top ...would they spot that or stop bumbags ?

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
7,709 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking bags on rides at Universal parks?

The woman next to me on Hulk had a fannypack on and it interfered with the restraint. She was removed and sent to the exit after an hour wait. Not worth it in my opinion.