We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf Course advice

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Golf Course advice

Staying in Haines City next February and looking for 5 rounds of golf.

We have chosen the following based on price and location...

Would anyone be able to suggest a better all round course for compatible price than those below.

Falcons fire

Highlands reserve

Disney magnolia

Grande pines

Celebration

We have a budget of approx $500 each to source 5 rounds with 8am tee times..

Regards

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando
Level Contributor
4,078 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf Course advice

Southern Dunes or Diamondback Golf Course both in Haines City might be 2 more options...I really like Orange County National!!

Have a look at this website: www.golferguide.com/orlando

Edited: 03 April 2014, 14:51
belfast
Level Contributor
175 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf Course advice

Southern dunes is a great course if u wanna check it out :)

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,318 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf Course advice

Grand Cypress in Lake Buena Vista FL

Jack Nicklaus design

North ( 9 ) and South (9)

is modelled on a links style course

Edited: 03 April 2014, 14:59
Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,318 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Golf Course advice

February is a peak time for " Snow Bird " Golfers escaping the cold north

book tee-times well in advance.

Courses, Bay Hill Club & Lodge, Dr Phillips and Championsgate between I - 4 & Route 27

Edited: 03 April 2014, 15:10
Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,462 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golf Course advice

My OH played diamond back 2 weeks ago wasn't impressed

Southern Dunes is pricey but obviously on the doorstep

He also played Ridgewood lakes which is pretty near and mystic dunes in davenport which according to him was excellent

London
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golf Course advice

My hubs like Shingle Creek.

London
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golf Course advice

Should read 'likes' ......otherwise it sounds like I have more than one LOL

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
9,772 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golf Course advice

Quote :- is modelled on a links style course

Having played a few American courses described like this, I'm of the opinion they have "no idea" what links courses are like ;-);-);-);-)

In future I would avoid courses using this description,over there. I'm sure there are some about, but I've not found one.

We have some "fantastic" (proper) links courses in the UK & Ireland.

For links golf, I would go to those to golf first:-):-):-)

Your going to the US, so try US style courses.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Golf Course advice

Having played in the Orlando vicinty a huge number of times.....must plays have to include both the Panther Lake and Crooked Cat Courses at Orange County National. Southern Dunes, is what I would term "just OK" - bit too much phaffing around along what feels like a housing estate between greens and tees.....an inevitable consequence , I suppose, of a Course funded through Real Estate sales....

Falcons Fire, IMHO, not worth it for free.....dreadful condition when I played it for the one and only time in November 2012....at a time when Courses really should be looking pretty good with the excesses of the summer daily furnaces behind them...

Mystic Dunes is well worth a look, but also try Reunion Resort along and under the I-4 past Championsgate....which is exactly what I would do...go past....not worth the high price tag for what is a very "ordinary" golf course. Both these have a lot of residential development encroaching upon the Courses though - at Reunion they are "big ticket" stuff though....

If you have a car and want to travel a wee bit more than an hour or so to play something which will give you great golfing memories.......try Redtail G.C.up in Sorrento ( Fla. ) - Brilliant !

Or, Streamsong G.C. - down past Lakeland / Brandon neck of the woods... Fantastic !

and lastly.....World Woods G.C. - both Pine Barrons and Rolling Oaks up in Brooksville....just unbelievable !!

Highlands reserve is decent for a late afternoon game - cheap( ish ) and IMO reasonably OK - havent played Diamondback but heard mixed reports.....and Bay Hill again is over-priced for what it is....OK it hosts Arnie's Tournament but if you ask me , its nothing overly special ! You may well find it difficult to get on there in any case without an overnight stay in one of the Lodges....These are just my opinions and no doubt they will be vastly different to those of others on here....but I hope this information, from the persepctive of a Category One golfer, is helpful.

Edited: 04 April 2014, 13:25
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Golf Course advice

Argh......re my post above....just re-read the OP and noticed the requirement for 8 am tee-times......unless you are serious insomniacs.....the "wee bit more than an hours drive"....would be at a ridiculous hour.....!! Stay with the OCN Courses and Highlands Reserve/ Southern Dunes mix.....much closer to where you dont have too long of a drive...