We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we go to Universal ? Kids are 8 and 6.

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cooroy, Australia
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Do we go to Universal ? Kids are 8 and 6.

Family of 4 from Australia will be in Orlando from Sep 5-10

This is the question that is bugging me. It seems to be a very popular place to visit and by not going I feel I might be missing out lol.

We will by in LA at the beginning of our trip and we can go to Universal there but then I read Orlando is better??

I would have to be ditching a day at Disney if we do go amd them the next question is which park? My girls are only 8 and 6 and there is appears to be good things in both parks. Oh I don't know.

Would love to hear from people with younger kids and their thoughts !!

Thanks in advance.

pa
Level Contributor
53,704 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we go to Universal ? Kids are 8 and 6.

When we went with kids 6 and 7, we were done with both Parks by mid afternoon, just not enough for them to enjoy, they weren't tall enough for the Fun Thrill Rides. They couldn't wait to get back to Disney Parks, much more for them to do and enjoy. That night we stayed at Magic Kingdom til 2 am, best night ever. If budget plays a part at all, visiting a 4th Park at Disney is only about $15 more then a 3 day ticket ( $60 for all 4 of you ) a day at Universal will be about $400 for the day just to get in the Gate

East Kilbride...
Level Contributor
638 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we go to Universal ? Kids are 8 and 6.

My 5 year old girl loved Universal - more than Disney I think. She met Gru, minions, Spider-Man, Marge Simson, and many more.

Her favourite rides were Spider Man, Despicable Me 2 and Simpsons. She also loved getting soaked on all the water rides. I guess it depends on whether you have girly girls or not. My wee one is a bit of a tomboy.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,020 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we go to Universal ? Kids are 8 and 6.

Yes I have been to both Universals and your kids would really love the Orlando one so much more too do and see.

London
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we go to Universal ? Kids are 8 and 6.

It depends on your individual child.

My 8 year old LOVED IOA and Universal and was tall enough to go on most of the big rides with her dad (not me, chickened out).

My 7 year old (same year) loved Disney

So we went to both.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,162 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we go to Universal ? Kids are 8 and 6.

Are they Harry Potter fans ? If so then its a no-brainer. The Hollywood park doesnt offer it, Orlando does. If you go in Sept. access to BOTH parks will basically be a requirement. You'll need access to both parks in order to see the Harry Potter expansion. Enjoy!

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
220 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we go to Universal ? Kids are 8 and 6.

I have two girls of this age and we're going to Universal and not Disney. I think there's more for them at this age at Universal. In particular Harry Potter. Definitely wouldn't miss that. We've done Disney a few times and it feels like they've grown out of it a bit.

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do we go to Universal ? Kids are 8 and 6.

Oh yes, you must go! It is amazing and there are things for all ages. There are a few big coasters but things like Shrek 3D etc and all the shows that are out on. You will love it

New Jersey
Level Contributor
267 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do we go to Universal ? Kids are 8 and 6.

I would have to agree that Universal in Orlando is much bigger/much better than its LA counterpart. And if the girls (or you!) are Harry Potter fans, it is a no brainer, buy the two park Universal ticket and soak it all in- something you cannot do in LA!

Personally (and everyone will have different opinions on this!) I wouldn't knock off a Disney day for Universal. For me and my family, we find Disney World a cut above when it comes to atmosphere, service, and overall experience. But that is easy for me to say because I have already been to both :-P There are lots of people who feel just the opposite! Universal is quite fun and there are definitely attractions there to fit your kids' ages.

More to think about:

Will you be back in Orlando in a few years or so? If yes, maybe stick with Disney this time and save Universal for down the road when your kids are sure to be tall enough for all of their great rollercoasters.

-OR-

Is this a once-in-a-lifetime vacation, probably the only time your kids will visit Orlando? If that is the case, go for it. Get the two park Universal pass and get a taste of everything they have to offer.

Either way, you are going to have a great vacation :-) Happy planning!

New York
Level Contributor
207 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do we go to Universal ? Kids are 8 and 6.

If you have never been to Disney before, then visit all 4 parks. Your girls are in the perfect age for Disney parks. There will be another time for them to go to Universal, when they are bigger and can enjoy more thrill rides. I took my son and then (10 years later) my daughter to Universal parks when they were 5-6 years old. They were afraid to ride most of the rides and to me if felt as money down the drain. Wait until the youngest one is at least 8 and go then.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do we go to Universal ? Kids are 8 and 6.

Sorry, I am hijacking you post .... we are in a similar situation, my children are 7 & 8, not into Harry Potter, Simpsons, Spiderman etc.. the only thing at universal they may be interested in is the minions ! So I have ruled out IOA but I'm stuck as to whether to do UO or Busch Gardens ?? my kids are thrill seekers and will do any roller coaster that will allow them on :-) my youngest is very close to 48" so can prob go on quite a few rides at Busch Gdns but very few at IOA.

I am now swaying towards Busch Gardens and no Universal Park ... I guess this is the ten million dollar question .....am I doing the right thing ??? Any help is very much appreciated !

Again apologies for hijacking, I just felt it was better to keep the Q & A altogether :-)