We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surrey Bikes / Pony Rides / Horse Trails

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Surrey Bikes / Pony Rides / Horse Trails

Hi I've read on here that Surrey bikes can be rented at Port Orleans and Wilderness Lodge. We are a family of 6 that would like to do this. Would anybody recommend one location over the other? Does anyone know the opening days / hours?

Also I have a nearly 4 year old who would love the Pony Rides - is this at Fort Wilderness Campground and do they open every day? Will I need to make a reservation?

I have a tall only just 9 year old and have read that he could do a Horse trail. He has never ridden before (but is desperate to) is this suitable (and safe!) for people with no experience? Has anyone had any experience of this? And is it in the same location and hours of operation as the pony rides?

Thanks in advance!

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Surrey Bikes / Pony Rides / Horse Trails

You can also do the bikes around the Boardwalk which would probably be my choice

Pony rides are in the Marina/inside portion of the campground known as the Settlement Depot. As I recall they are $5 and until 5pm. It is just a short parent lead walk around a loop but fun for toddler preschool and kindergarten age kids.

The trail rides are separately located at the front/parking lot portion known as the Outpost Depot. They are at certain times and with reservations. You have to be 9 and at least 48 inches but otherwise would say it is suitable for beginners. They aren't going to take you running or put you on anything other than an experienced horse that has been through the motions many times.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surrey Bikes / Pony Rides / Horse Trails

That's really helpful thank you.

I'll explore the Boardwalk option...

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
7,048 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surrey Bikes / Pony Rides / Horse Trails

One thing to note about the Boardwalk - if you venture far past the Boardwalk towards the Swan/Dolphin- there is a fairly steep hill to go up. I think the grounds of Port Orleans Riverside are prettier for for exploring, but I do associate Surrey Biking more as a Boardwalk type activity in real life.

I have done the horse trail. It was my first time on a walking horse - I believe I was around 10. I was fine, but my sister's horse got spooked and ran into the woods. She nearly fell off, but they got to the horse pretty quickly. Horses are wild animals - so even though they have been through the motions, things can happen and I believe a waiver is involved. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience on my well-behaved horse though:)

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Surrey Bikes / Pony Rides / Horse Trails

Haha. And probably better than your experiences on the non-walking ones?

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
7,048 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surrey Bikes / Pony Rides / Horse Trails

My Aunt had show horses, so I have photos of me in a saddle of a real, but stationary, horse when I was around 5 or 6 :) I wanted to go for a ride, but alas I was too small.

Edited: 09 April 2014, 17:24
6. Re: Surrey Bikes / Pony Rides / Horse Trails

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 06:16