We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to apply for the ESTA

Cheshire
Level Contributor
80 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
When to apply for the ESTA

Hi, we don't travel until 20th Aug 2014 so should we leave applying for the ESTA until beginning August to max the 2 years it lasts for, thanks in advance, Nick.

England
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to apply for the ESTA

That would leave you more then enough time. All of mine have always been approved instantly

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to apply for the ESTA

I always advise people to apply for their ESTA before parting with any money, you never know if there is a problem and you are refused you could end up having to apply for a visa, if you leave it too late you may not get it through in time. For $14 I wouldn't risk leaving it so long. It could be refused because someone dodgy has the same name as you and it gets flagged up when you apply it isn't necessarily because of something you have done or not done. At the end of the day for the sake of $14 it's hardly worth taking the risk of losing your holiday, albeit a very small risk.

Gainsborough...
Level Contributor
314 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to apply for the ESTA

We fly out the day before you, and we have had our ESTAs since January.

As USLovers has said for $14 it is not worth the risk of being refused for any reason. I would get them now if I were you!

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,561 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to apply for the ESTA

When you fill out your ESTAs remember that you need one for each person travelling. You do not need to fill out any hotel/flight information as it is not mandatory. The sections you do need to compete will be asterisked. Each one should only take a couple of minutes to do. There is a link to the official site at the top of the posts on the front page of this forum entitled "ESTA warning".

Edited: 14 April 2014, 16:39
Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to apply for the ESTA

Maxing out the two years.

ESTA is $14. That's less than a tenner, for two years. Apply for it six months "early" and you have "wasted" all of less than a fiver. But only if you ACTUALLY DO go again during those missing six months.

And risked not going at all in the unlikely event of there being a problem.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
80 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to apply for the ESTA

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll apply for it now.

As you say it would be best to apply before you book your holiday but I'd not heard of ESTA as not been to the US for 10 years.

Newtownabbey...
Level Contributor
246 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to apply for the ESTA

we go in june and I did mine a few weeks ago. I knew that there would b no issues getting them. But still a little daunting. get them out of the way its peace of mind. well it was for me

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When to apply for the ESTA

I don't go till April '15', and I'm applying for my ESTA as soon as I get my passport back after renewing xx

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
679 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When to apply for the ESTA

I'd advise applying for it ASAP just incase there's a problem. This forum is littered with people giving sob-stories about how their application has been refused and they need to visit the embassy but are scheduled to fly out the following week!!

For the relative low cost of an ESTA it's just not worth the potential hassle and panic IMHO.

County Galway...
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When to apply for the ESTA

Our first ESTA we applied well in advance since then as they have you on record we leave it to try and get as many trips as possible out of it. Have to get a new passport in 2016 so will apply early that year