We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time advice/information

Barnsley
Level Contributor
65 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
First time advice/information

Hi all

Looking to visit in October 2015, Joint 50th Birthday trip for wifey and I.

After much research come up with the following, as its our first time we have decided to book as a package holiday, when travelling in Europe, we always book flights/accommodation separate and this works well for us, however, we just feel we need the security of a package holiday on this occasion.

Probably going to go with Virgin, for 12 nights from 10th October 2015, again after bit of research, October sounds a good time to go, opting for private transfers rather than car hire and looking to stay at Rosen Inn International.

Assuming its pretty easy to get round, I Trolley, Lynx Bus, what sort of prices are taxis from Universal Studios to Rosen Inn, just asking because we anticipate some late nights on Universal City Walk.

Just two adults going, not really drawn to Disney, so just looking at tickets for Universal, two park as opposed to 3 park because we do not want the water park.

Giving some consideration to getting tickets for sea world, just have this thing about wild animals performing in captivity, any thoughts/advice.

I know there is plenty of advice on here about tickets, thinking of using travel republic to get tickets, however, some have suggested getting direct from the attraction, what about buying from ticket shops on I Drive, good value or not, any suggestions.

Will be visiting this forum a lot, as always, with all the forums, some great advice and tips.

Thanks

Dave

St.Helens,United...
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time advice/information

Hi Dave

You will have a great time We travel with Virgin but book flight / car and book a villa separate it seems to work well for us

We travel in October also and weather is good and crowds are manageable

Seaworld/ bush gardens are great to visit even without children

City walks and Universal is Also a must see lots to do and see

Not sure about I drive and buses as we always hire a car Hubby finds it very easy to drive over there and it opens up lots of opportunities to see the area

We have been lots of times and last year was the first time on a villa (3 bed 2 bath and pool) and we liked it so much have booked the same one for this October

Also try Attraction Tickets Direct for your tickets cheap safe actual tickets also

Sue

Edited: 20 April 2014, 12:28
York, England
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time advice/information

Hi! :)

I went last year for the first time since I was a kid and opted for a package holiday too! Went in October and it was perfect - Off the top of my head I think the dates were 14 - 28 October. The parks were much quieter at the start of the holiday, but still manageable towards the end, it was just noticeably busier!

We stayed at Rosen Inn at Pointe Orlando, which I THINK is just a bit further up international drive (closer to Universal) than your hotel. If you're not doing Disney, I'd definitely say buses would be fine for getting around. We didn't hire a car as it worked out too expensive for us being under 25 at the time. We managed just fine on the bus to Universal and Seaworld, but Disney via bus was a bit of a nightmare!!

We did get a taxi back from Universal one night, but I can't remember how much it was...which is no help haha! I remember it being more than I'd expected though, but the traffic was pretty bad that night...(sorry this info was a bit useless!!). There was a taxi rank down the escaltors though near to where you catch the bus..

Can't say much about tickets I'm afraid - they were all included in our package. The ones that we had included were all paper tickets though, so we had to take some time out to go and change them, but that wasn't much hassle at all as there were no lines!!

We went to seaworld, but we both left feeling pretty bad about it in all honesty. It didn't help that that night there was a documentary on tv about Seaworld called Blackfish! You might want to watch that before going? I did enjoy the rollercoasters there though, so you could always just go for those, although there's obviously not that many there.

If you're looking for anything else to do as well, I'd highly recommend this!

attraction-tickets-direct.co.uk/attraction-t…

I think that was my favourite day! You get to swim with wild manatees, though you're not guaranteed to see them. Like I said, I was there in October and we saw 2 manatees on their own, and then a mum and baby :) You then get to go to a wildlife park and an airboat ride - really good day out :)

York, England
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time advice/information

Oh! Only thing about October - we found the nights sometimes got a bit chilly, so take something light but warm with you if you're staying out!

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
16,354 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time advice/information

If you are going for twelve days and only doing two parks, I would reconsider hiring a car as it will enable you to explore a bit further afield and see some more of Florida?

As lozaof says, it can get chilly at night in October, so take a couple of warm things you can layer.

Scotland
Level Contributor
304 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time advice/information

Stayed at Rosen Inn closest to universal (be aware there are a few of them - at least 3 on international drive). From here we could walk to universal (about 1/2 hour) which was really nice first thing in the morning. Taxi home was about £5. Two universal parks are good fun, good places to eat at Citywalk. Coming out the hotel and turning right takes you to plenty of restaurants on I drive. Itrolley takes you to the sea world parks. If you get tickets to discovery cove (£150-200 per person and really well recommended) you then get entry to SeaWorld, Aquatica and Busch Gardens (including transport and the bus goes from the car park at Citywalk so about a 20 minute walk). Both SeaWorld and Busch Gardens are great days out.

We also did Kenney Space Centre with transport (which goes from the Rosen Inn) so all in all never needed a car.

Hope you have a great time.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time advice/information

I know you said you didn't want to do Disney, but Disney has Epcot and also Animal Kingdom separate from the Magic Kingdom.

Hampshire, uk
Level Contributor
265 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time advice/information

we are going on a twin centre holiday with Monarch/Cosmos and staying at the Rosen Inn International and then St Pete Beach and its was a lot cheaper than Virgin so worth checking out. Car included but you need to add insurance but it means you can get away for the second week and have a restful beach holiday watching dolphins and sunsets!

Barnsley
Level Contributor
65 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time advice/information

Thanks everyone, lots of great advice, plenty to think about

Regards, Dave

9. Re: First time advice/information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 05:15