We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney's Coronado Springs Resort or Port Orleans French

5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort or Port Orleans French

My fiance' and I are planning our honeymoon for the end of September 2014 at Disney. Although I have been to the park before, I have never stayed on site. I love the benefits of the arm bands and free transportation to the parks but wanted to make sure it was worth the money to stay on site. We are looking at Coronado Springs and Port Orleans French Quarter. We want to stay in moderate resort but are unsure which is the best for our money. I've read reviews saying that the Coronado is to large and that the POFQ has bad food. Which moderate is the best? Id especially like to hear from those of you who have stayed recently.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney's Coronado Springs Resort or Port Orleans French

We stayed at POFQ in November and loved it. It's our third stay there, to be honest we only got a snack at the food court as we dine most evening elsewhere, usually at DTD. Love the fact you can get the boat to DTD.

Haven't been to Coronado Springs in years but hated the way the food court there is operated and the resort is very big.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney's Coronado Springs Resort or Port Orleans French

Coronado Springs has a much nicer pool for honeymooners, IMHO. I love the smaller size of French Quarter but would go with CSR for an all adult September trip.

If the food court is important-the Riverside Mill at Riverside is one of my favorites and only a short, pleasant walk along Sassagoula River from FQ.

pa
Level Contributor
54,105 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney's Coronado Springs Resort or Port Orleans French

Coronado Springs gets my vote, it has a more "Honeymoon" feel to it, IMHO, a great Resort for an Adults only Holiday anytime. It is the Deluxe of the Moderates :)

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3023399

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,103 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney's Coronado Springs Resort or Port Orleans French

POFQ is our only choice among the moderates.Coronado Springs food court is pretty terrible,the resort is very large and conventions tend to take over the place. POFQ has a wonderful theme,great staff,really fun hot tub and pool(and you can walk up to Riverside and use the amenities there since they are sister resorts) and the boat to DTD is both convenient and a very pretty trip.

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney's Coronado Springs Resort or Port Orleans French

Does anyone have any adivise for reserving a room. I want to book as soon as possible so I can get a room close to all the amenities so I can minimize walking distance. Do they charge you or keep the deposit if you cancel your stay?

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,103 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney's Coronado Springs Resort or Port Orleans French

For what resort?POFQ is very small and walkable so you will be close to the lobby,bus stop,pool,hot tub,etc no matter which building you are in. Coronado Springs,you can get a preferred room for a small extra fee.Both are motel style with exterior corridors so there really isn't a lot of value in paying extra for a view.Deposits for rooms booked online have different rules than if you book over the phone so it kind of depends on how firm your plans are.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney's Coronado Springs Resort or Port Orleans French

Here are a couple of fan sites that might help:

http://portorleans.org

http://buzz2k1.wix.com/coronado

If you book through Disney there is no cancellation/change policy up to 5 days before your check-in with a room only reservation, 54 days for a package.

Edited: 22 April 2014, 17:49
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney's Coronado Springs Resort or Port Orleans French

Sorry-that should be 45 days for a cancellation with no penalty on a package. Need to proofread!

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,909 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney's Coronado Springs Resort or Port Orleans French

We stayed at French Quarter in Dec. (our second time there), we had booked Coronado but decided to switch. French Quarter is small and cozy, no building is far from anything. One bus stop, great pool, food court is fine, but we mostly eat out and about.

As for being worth it to stay on site, that's up to you. Anyone can use the disney transport (on and off site guests). Off site guests can even buy a magic band if you wanted. Depending on what priced you get, you may be able to get something bigger off site, Homewood suites is one mentioned on here that has shuttles to the parks and free breakfast. Check around and compare :)

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
572 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney's Coronado Springs Resort or Port Orleans French

Hi there

I would definitely vote for CSR and agree with Party in that it has a deluxe feel. My 20 year old daughter is off to CSR in September for the very reason that it has an adult feel.

Happy honeymoon where ever you go!

Scally