We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney or not? (No kids couple)

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Topic
Disney or not? (No kids couple)

We (young minded couple aged 30's-40's) have been to Florida twice over the last few years and are going back this October, and we're trying to decide whether we want to do Disney parks or not. We have done a day at MK and a day at Epcot previously. We found MK to be kiddy-ish (who'd have thought that eh lol), with mediocre rides, and everything about it was busy and queued, even tho it was October. We wouldn't return unless we had kids in tow. We quite enjoyed Epcot, although the rides were also mediocre (and busy), and realistically the rest of the park is a series of shops. We would go back tho if we had the fortnight pass. We've also been to UIoA, US, (and HHN), SW, AQ, BG, DC, WnW, so we have a fair idea which of these we'd like to revisit.

For a fuller picture I like the big coasters and the OH is animal daft, so BG is a"must" for us every time. If we're doing Disney we'd probably get the fortnight pass tho, which would mean we wouldn't do so much of the "non-Disney". So the question is...would we enjoy Disney as much as the other parks, or will it be as kiddy-ish and busy as we previously found? And specifically, is AK as good as BG?

Any help welcome. And please don't think I'm poo-pooing anyone's enjoyment of MK, but it just wasn't our thing.

Glenrothes, United...
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney or not? (No kids couple)

What about Disneys Hollywood studios? That's not kiddyish, in fact it was one of my favourite parks in Disney. I loved tower of terror so I have to do MK!

england
Level Contributor
4,754 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney or not? (No kids couple)

Not - fun with children, not without them

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,472 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney or not? (No kids couple)

We have never been to Florida with kids and are a fair bit older than you however......

We do go to Disney parks occasionally but not MK anymore - have been twice and it's just too "Disney" and kiddyish for us but we do enjoy the other parks on a small scale and I would never say don't go to Disney

Never been to BG but will in November as we have universal tickets, the theming at AK is nice and the safari is ok

Our holiday isn't based around the parks as we have a car and like to get out and about maybe you might do the same especially the gulf coast?

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
330 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney or not? (No kids couple)

hi. we are the same. an adult couple with no kids.

been to orlando 9 times. 1st and 2nd time we did all Disney parks. did a couple on around our 5th visit. last visit did all Disney again.

but we really felt last time, that's it, we've definitely done Disney now. and have no plans to return on future trips. not knocking Disney. it is a magical place. its just not for us any more.

but we found a flip side to our trips. Universal orlando. been here on every single trip. absolutely love the place and go back to orlando just to stay here. parks, hotels, bars, restaurants, clubs, all within walking distance of each other. you can play all day and night and only be 5 minutes from your hotel, where ever you are. also I have mentioned in other post, IMO universal parks are in a different class to Disney and with future expansions are just pulling further away.

your busch gardens question. I would choose busch gardens. its all round a better park. more animals, more attractions and thrill rides. the only down side is the travelling. but if you don't mind that I would go for busch gardens.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 12:38
Belfast
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney or not? (No kids couple)

The disney parks are the most expensive if you are going for a two week pass if I were you I'd go for a 6 park flexi ticket that includes both universal parks wet and wild sea world aquatics and Busch gardens.

BG IMO is better for rides than animal kingdom like above I think you would enjoy holywood studios but I would maye go for a one day isny park hopper at the gate. This is what we always one when we were in your situation...this year were doing disney and universal as my daughter is 4 and disney mad and I'm a huge HP fan lol

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney or not? (No kids couple)

I'm in my 30's and hubby and I went for years on our own and loved it, but we're HUGE disney fans. Now we have a little girl MK will be the main attraction and at a much slower pace.

Before baby, we always went to each park a couple of times in our two week stay. At MK we love space mountain, thunder mountain, splash mountain, the haunted mansion, and we even go on the small kids stuff! MK has a lovely atmosphere and always kicks our holiday off.

Animal kingdom is a must if you love animals and it has great rides, a little more adult.

Epcot is great for eating out and also has some great rides is shouldn't be missed. Personally Hollywood studios is our least fravourite, we really like the tower if terror and the rockin roller coaster but that's about it.

If you have the time and money to spend for a two week disney ticket then I'd go for it.

Of corse universal and IOA and sea world & bush gardens are all a must for you :)

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,754 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney or not? (No kids couple)

We only go to Florida because of WDW, No kids .

Why would you pay for a 14 day ticket if you're not really interested in Disney, Buy a 2 day ticket and save yourself a shed load of money. Do AK & DHS.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney or not? (No kids couple)

Since you're going in Oct. you might enjoy the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot. It doesn't cost extra unless you want to attend some of the workshops. If you do go plan to go during the week and not the weekend. Gets really busy on the weekends.

Scotland
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney or not? (No kids couple)

Thanks for the quick replies. A little more info on our previous trips - sort of trip reports I suppose...

For our first holiday we planned the first week being busy with a couple of parks and some touring around to include The Everglades, then chilling out for the second week at Clearwater beach or somewhere similar. Therefore we knew we were DEFINITELY only doing two Orlando parks, so we bought single day tickets at the gate. The parks we chose were MK (cos you can't go to Orlando and NOT do the original Disney, can you?) and Epcot. We also did Wonderworks and Wet n Wild before we set off "on tour". We toured east/south to Palm Beach, Miami, The Keys (not as far down as Key West tho), The Everglades, across alligator alley and back up the west coast to St Pete's beach and Clearwater. However this was Nov 2008, when North America got the coldest weather since 1916 or something, so although the first week was toasty, the second week got cold and involved wearing jeans and a long sleeved T-shirt during the day, and having the heater on in the car in the evenings. Beautifully sunny, but cold. Therefore a week on the beach wasn't so appealing, and after spending a couple of days at BG, we headed back to Orlando. We spent the rest of the week lazing around/shopping etc, and with the benefit of hindsight, wished we had spent the extra on unlimited fortnight passes, as we would have quite happily spent our time seeing more of Disney. Our first week also felt "busy", where our second week felt "flat", and we wished we could've spread it about a bit better. Hey ho tho, who can predict weather, huh?

Our second visit, Oct 2012, we decided to stay around Orlando and do more parks. We did DC, and various days at UIoA, US (and HHN), SW, AQ and a couple of trips to BG at Tampa. We found having the unlimited passes great, and if we'd had enough of a park we would leave and return later, or another day even. We returned from that holiday having enjoyed it more than the first one, but it was difficult to put a finger on why. Perhaps cos it worked out as planned, perhaps cos it was less "we've only got one day here so better see all of it". This leads on to planning our forthcoming holiday.

This time we feel if we could combine both holidays it would be the best of both worlds. So we're thinking to do more day trips to, say, Fort Myers, Daytona, Clearwater etc, but also do some theme parks but without spending too much money/time doing them. Hence we'd like to visit some parks, but make sure we do the ones we'll really enjoy, rather than ones we're doing cos "you can't not do them", if you get my drift. We also fancy the idea of ambling around a (non-theme) park and checking out the farmer's markets etc. At the moment we're leaning towards getting the BG, SW, AQ ticket plus the frequent fear HHN pass, but hence my original question of whether to try AK instead (or any other Disney for that matter). BTW we really enjoyed HHN, and BG is also high on the priority list.

Any further input welcome :)

UK
Level Contributor
227 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney or not? (No kids couple)

We usually go in dec and do US, IOA, Epcot, DHS and MK. This year we are also going in June (last minute opportunity) so we are just doing the universal parks but also doing a couple of day trips - daytona and cocoa beach- plus wonder works and will try out the zip wire adventure, which looks great. We don't have kids and also find MK lower down on our list - fine for when we have lots of time in dec but not priority. There are only 2 rides we'd bother with in AK - dinosaur and Everest, so we don't tend to go there. BG, IMO, is way better. Plus we shop loads and play crazy golf - and make the most of the warmth vs UK....